Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked under passenger seat and noted curious extra wires on battery. A domino is interposed in the ground lead with two light wires coming out like a safety ammeter. Two red wires come out of the positive terminal possibly feeding devices which are always energized.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jeep seems very vulnerable to high water damage which totaled my last truck. There are 2 computers in sink under driver's seat! Even if the sink/tub/container is waterproof, it will fill up with the least intrusion of water over door sill. Without an ignition switch, you could end up futilely pressing start button while the flood waters rise. Course the myth of the rugged jeep ended when the immobilizer was introduced and the distributor points eliminated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only workshop manual I can find from Chrysler for $220 does not include the schematic: " IT DOES NOT CONTAIN THE TRADITIONAL WIRING DIAGRAM INFORMATION" 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee repair manual
Must be available somewhere.
I am reading that the traditional fold-out schematics are no longer available. You need an on-line subscription in order to highlight the wiring path for the model and option path you happen to be working on. Actually, I like to pencil in the path. Too bad. I guess if I'm really interested I can get a month's subscription or check with my public library. This is going to perpetuate the ignorance of youth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know if this helps. From the 2019 manual
Thank you. This document should explain basic wiring but may not pertain to my 2020 Hemi Overland JGC which has no stop/start or aux battery. Where can I diagrams like this for myself?
I decided to leave the wiring alone and got a NoCo emergency start battery. I plugged it in to the back seat USB which seems to go off after an hour anyway so it is not an additional parasitic load.
Checking manual, I have an Intelligent Battery System to monitor battery and unload electricals but only while running. The additional red wire may be a direct monitor lead for the IBS.
These Jeeps had a bad rep for electrical problems and my new JGC seems to have plenty of auto shut-offs.
Notably, shifting fuse for cargo cig lighter output switches it to "always on." F-90/91. P. 87 Manual.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,021 Posts
Thank you. This document should explain basic wiring but may not pertain to my 2020 Hemi Overland JGC which has no stop/start or aux battery. Where can I diagrams like this for myself?
I decided to leave the wiring alone and got a NoCo emergency start battery. I plugged it in to the back seat USB which seems to go off after an hour anyway so it is not an additional parasitic load.
Checking manual, I have an Intelligent Battery System to monitor battery and unload electricals but only while running. The additional red wire may be a direct monitor lead for the IBS.
These Jeeps had a bad rep for electrical problems and my new JGC seems to have plenty of auto shut-offs.
Notably, shifting fuse for cargo cig lighter output switches it to "always on." F-90/91. P. 87 Manual.
You get them from the manual. I downloaded the 2019 from somewhere, don't recall where. It is huge.. 213 megs. I bought a CD for my 2014 off eBay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neither the Owner's Manual nor the $220.00 USB Workshop Manual from Chrysler contain traditional schematics (usually found on oversized foldout pages.)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Neither the Owner's Manual nor the $220.00 USB Workshop Manual from Chrysler contain traditional schematics (usually found on oversized foldout pages.)
I don't think such a thing still exists. It would require a piece of paper about 6' x 8' to have all the wires shown at the same time and be readable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Searay came with a nice fold-out multi-page color coded schematic and that allowed several complicated electrical upgrades. Imagine the factory and its employees have as much trouble and cost associated with color printers and large paper sizes as we do. Costs a lot more and that's a high end boat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
they will use handheld devices with screens instead of handheld schematics on paper with ink

Reactions: IAmTodd

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Course I have to trace the connections with a pencil. The handhelds won't have the problem of turning to the next page. The airplane mechanics with the VR glasses can load Linda Lovelace for lunchtime company.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,793 Posts
Go to 3:10 in the video. This may be the wires you're talking about.

Yes, I have seen some very heavy gauge red wires, like 10-8 gauge, also connected to the battery terminal to the PDC/TIPM, fuse box of modern vehicles, as a separate bus from the battery.

The FSM talks about the charging system using PWM and sensing battery voltage, so perhaps additional wires might need to run to the battery for that. It probably measures the battery in null cycle of the PWM square wave, so it might not need any separate wires.

But according to the video, the connecter to a little module on the battery terminal is a sensor for the Start/Stop System to monitor the current draw on the battery.
... Course the myth of the rugged jeep ended when the immobilizer was introduced and the distributor points eliminated.
While I'll agree with your point and have said it myself, Jeeps have gone more mainstream over the years, sacrificing off-road ability to on road appeal, also to satisfy regulators, media and offset lawsuites as well.

Not sure I agree on points in distributors, the electronic ignition wasn't even a computer, it replaced the points with a solid state transistor, a metal cased transistor incased in silicone on that. Never heard of the electronic ignitions before computer control of the engines ever having problems off road or on road, no more than points type ignition. Water under the distributor cap, sure, but that did the same to points or electronic distributors.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That two wire connection isn't specifically there for the stop-start system. My 2014 has no start stop system but it has that exact same connection. It's probably how the system monitors state of charge and decides how hard to run the alternator and ??? else?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've worked on battery system twice and have not lost volatile functions. I've got a small (2.5x2.5x6) rechargeable sealed lead acid battery (home alarm back-up) to jump to ground and to hot terminal inside Jeep fuse box. Course the red lead to battery terminal is left connected. I'm guessing it is the IBS or intelligent battery system which has a role with or without stop-start but no memory function.

I wanted to be able to direct wire a "Wish" 5000 watt pure sine inverter ($175) directly to battery to power house furnace or freezer intermittently in power outage, parking Jeep just outside basement. I removed battery lugs and tapped their center holes with 7/16th course threads for removable terminals. Now I have a robust and direct current path for inverter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts