Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Woke up this morning to a nice puddle of oil/coolant in the driveway. Opened up the coolant reservoir to see a nice black muck. Car was towed to the dealer by FCA roadside and too boot was damaged in the process. Still under the 5/100k Powertrain. I recently had the water pump replaced under warranty due to a leak and the coolant flushed twice as it was dirty. Any insight on what might have failed? No CEL average 26 mpg on the trip home from Maine 3 hrs the night prior. Waiting on FCA Roadside to see what will be done in regards to the damage to the plate/bumper. I apologize for the pictures heavy post but I am dumbfounded on how when instructed to not drive the vehicle a tow company manages to drive it into the back rack.

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good morning all,

Woke up this morning to a nice puddle of oil/coolant in the driveway. Opened up the coolant reservoir to see a nice black muck. Car was towed to the dealer by FCA roadside and too boot was damaged in the process. Still under the 5/100k Powertrain. I recently had the water pump replaced under warranty due to a leak and the coolant flushed twice as it was dirty. Any insight on what might have failed? No CEL average 26 mpg on the trip home from Maine 3 hrs the night prior. Waiting on FCA Roadside to see what will be done in regards to the damage to the plate/bumper. I apologize for the pictures heavy post but I am dumbfounded on how when instructed to not drive the vehicle a tow company manages to drive it into the back rack.

Jerry
Sorry for your bad luck. I can't say whether the engine is blown, but as far as the damage to the bumper, is it possible your Jeep rolled into the tow truck because they had it in neutral when they offloaded it? Perhaps they did not drive it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So funny enough, I watched the tow truck driver drive it onto the truck after being instructed not to drive it- think he was just lazy. The company has opened a ticket for me just need to submit an estimate and they will take care of it with picture evidence which i fortunately have.

As far as the oil in the coolant i am going to push for a new block- Is this too much to ask? Anyone else had a similar experience able to get this covered? From what i have read on here/ ram1500diesels it sounds like they have tried to skimp and get away with numerous flushes after new parts (radiatior, heater core, all hoses, etc...) my concern is obviously any coolant that got into the lower end could do far more damage down the road.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The oil/coolant cross-contamination is usually a failed oil cooler, attached to the driver's side of the block below the filter. Doesn't explain the leak onto the ground though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm wonder if it was the head gasket? Truck ran great for almost 4 hours straight the day before no lights or anything. The coolant was basically oil no milky substance too it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke with the dealer this morning- They have diagnosed it as a failed oil filter housing assembly and said the gasket had let go.

There suggestion replace the failed part and have me pay for 3 full flushes to the tune of $700 to get it flushed. Oil and coolant have been throughout the entire cooling system at this time and i am not comfortable with this repair- any advice from someone with similar expierence?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There suggestion replace the failed part and have me pay for 3 full flushes to the tune of $700 to get it flushed. Oil and coolant have been throughout the entire cooling system at this time and i am not comfortable with this repair- any advice from someone with similar expierence?
Why would you have to pay anything if it's still under the 5/100 warranty?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both FCA and the dealer are stating that fluids are not covered under the factory warranty- even though they only need to be changed due to a failure of a warrantied part

·
Registered
244 Posts
$700 for fluids seems a little steep. Of course fluids and parts from parts department are off the chart for cost. That's why I buy my oil and filters online and bring them in when I have it serviced. Oil change runs $17. Buy your own fluids and the labor should be free.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm guessing the $700 covers the new oil, new coolant, AND the flushing fluid to clean the oil out of the cooling system. Is there also coolant in the oil?

I think having oil where coolant is supposed to be (in the cooling system) is less of a problem than having coolant where the oil is supposed to be. It all depends on how much the Jeep was driven with the fluids mixed.

This is just another example of why I'm not a fan of extended warranties. There always seems to be a kick the the groin in situations such as this. I end up less angry assuming I'm responsible for paying for all repair by not having an extended warranty. In fact, on occasion the dealership surprises me by covering something that I don't expect to be covered. But for sure there are people that sleep better by having an extended warranty. I just think the odds are stacked against us winning in the long run with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the 700 dollar is for the numerous coolant flushes they need to "clean out" the system as it is currently mixed with oil and coolant- as far as i am concerned and what i have reach on ram1500diesels the only true fix is replacing the block while most owners seam to be getting the run around I have while pushing for all items that coolant flows through to be replaced...

i am still under the factory warranty and they wont even address the issue is the scary part

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
$700 for fluids seems a little steep. Of course fluids and parts from parts department are off the chart for cost. That's why I buy my oil and filters online and bring them in when I have it serviced. Oil change runs $17. Buy your own fluids and the labor should be free.
Vast majority of dealers won't let you bring your own fluid and filters, believe me, Why would they, its how they make money....!

I'm guessing the $700 covers the new oil, new coolant, AND the flushing fluid to clean the oil out of the cooling system. Is there also coolant in the oil?

I think having oil where coolant is supposed to be (in the cooling system) is less of a problem than having coolant where the oil is supposed to be. It all depends on how much the Jeep was driven with the fluids mixed.

This is just another example of why I'm not a fan of extended warranties. There always seems to be a kick the the groin in situations such as this. I end up less angry assuming I'm responsible for paying for all repair by not having an extended warranty. In fact, on occasion the dealership surprises me by covering something that I don't expect to be covered. But for sure there are people that sleep better by having an extended warranty. I just think the odds are stacked against us winning in the long run with them.
I'm not to sharp, but how does coolant circulate thru the oil filter housing? And... If they want to charge some thing stupid like that, tell them to change the covered part and you will flush it your self or flatbed it to an indy shop who will do it for 200 $.

Also 5/100 Powertrain warranty has nothing to do with an extended warranty... How did that enter this conversation?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
the 700 dollar is for the numerous coolant flushes they need to "clean out" the system as it is currently mixed with oil and coolant- as far as i am concerned and what i have reach on ram1500diesels the only true fix is replacing the block while most owners seam to be getting the run around I have while pushing for all items that coolant flows through to be replaced...

i am still under the factory warranty and they wont even address the issue is the scary part
Oil in your coolant isn't great to be sure... but it isn't a death sentence for an engine to be sure. Replacing the block is a pretty extreme demand. Don't expect to get it....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Vast majority of dealers won't let you bring your own fluid and filters, believe me, Why would they, its how they make money....!

I'm not to sharp, but how does coolant circulate thru the oil filter housing? And... If they want to charge some thing stupid like that, tell them to change the covered part and you will flush it your self or flatbed it to an indy shop who will do it for 200 $.

Also 5/100 Powertrain warranty has nothing to do with an extended warranty... How did that enter this conversation?
If there's oil in the coolant, then for sure the two fluids touched. If the fluids touched, then it's reasonable to question whether there is coolant where only oil is supposed to be.

Yes, my bad by saying this is an example of an "extended warranty" failing, but it's all sold to us the same. We pay for the manufacturers warranty the same way we pay for an "extended warranty". Don't miss the forest for the trees.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oil in your coolant isn't great to be sure... but it isn't a death sentence for an engine to be sure. Replacing the block is a pretty extreme demand. Don't expect to get it....

I agree on the strong demand but if i dont start there I don't think there going to do more then a couple coolant flushes and send me on my way

·
Registered
184 Posts
Every rubber hose is compromised no matter how many times its flushed, i'd bet the hose under the intake will fail first.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Agree with Bounty Hunter on this one. No interface between coolant and oil filter housing that I'm aware of. I'd ask to see the failed part.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Every rubber hose is compromised no matter how many times its flushed, i'd bet the hose under the intake will fail first.
How so? It was never really even ran in the compromised state and in contact a few days at the most. Oil doesn't attack rubber, especially mixed with mostly coolant. I'd flush it twice good with some cleaner, and load it up with good FCA coolant the 3rd time and motor on..... That's what a dealer would do if he even did that much....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts