Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
High Altitude
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know the issue of fender flares coming loose or adhesive peeling is nothing new; however, my flares are securely attached with the exception of the top corners. I am wondering without removing them entirely the best way to adhere the to corners - whether stuffing 3M double sided tape or some sort of urethane adhesive? See pictures below.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Having the same issue on my 18’ summit. From my experience, every Jeep I’ve removed the front bumper on even once, this happens. I heat up and or replace a 1-1.5 inch section of the 3m double sided, still comes loose over time. I’ve also noticed the lower piece tends to stick out from the front bumper, removes the look of the seamless fender well.

Heat and or 3m strip replacement is a bandaid, hope someone else can comment!

·
Registered
High Altitude
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having the same issue on my 18’ summit. From my experience, every Jeep I’ve removed the front bumper on even once, this happens. I heat up and or replace a 1-1.5 inch section of the 3m double sided, still comes loose over time. I’ve also noticed the lower piece tends to stick out from the front bumper, removes the look of the seamless fender well.

Heat and or 3m strip replacement is a bandaid, hope someone else can comment!
I've read that people have had success with various urethane adhesives, but specifically what kind I am not sure. I'll keep digging!

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,298 Posts
I've read that people have had success with various urethane adhesives, but specifically what kind I am not sure. I'll keep digging!
I heard the 3m emblem adhesive worked well and tried it. It didn't work any better than anything else I tried. My latest is some 3m tape that's specifically labeled as Super Strength Molding Tape.

·
Registered
High Altitude
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard the 3m emblem adhesive worked well and tried it. It didn't work any better than anything else I tried. My latest is some 3m tape that's specifically labeled as Super Strength Molding Tape.
Hey Jimntempe how is that new 3M tape working out? How long have you been using it?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Hey Jimntempe how is that new 3M tape working out? How long have you been using it?
It's only been in place a couple days, too soon to tell much. I think one of the biggest problems is that we're trying to put on various adhesives but are not able to clean off the surfaces before putting the adhesives on. So we get a lot of failures.

·
Registered
High Altitude
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's only been in place a couple days, too soon to tell much. I think one of the biggest problems is that we're trying to put on various adhesives but are not able to clean off the surfaces before putting the adhesives on. So we get a lot of failures.
I was considering taking some distilled water and mixing in a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to clean the small area of the body and behind the fender flare where I am going to place adhesive. Was going to use some Q-tips

·
Registered
20 Posts
my 2014 started to do this, I don't know when, bit the good news is, it hasn't gotten worse for the past couple of years. Might be related to weather/temperature also.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
THe part I taped 3 days ago is already starting to release.

·
Registered
Summit
166 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts

·
Registered
High Altitude
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This really seems like a chore, and since mine is relatively minor, I'm considering not doing anything with it so I don't have to try and remove adhesive if it doesn't work down..

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Does anyone know what the part number is of the clip that holds the fender flare in place?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

I know the issue of fender flares coming loose or adhesive peeling is nothing new; however, my flares are securely attached with the exception of the top corners. I am wondering without removing them entirely the best way to adhere the to corners - whether stuffing 3M double sided tape or some sort of urethane adhesive? See pictures below.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 218919 View attachment 218920
I bought a new summit may 2018 and 4 months after i noticed my flares were starting to peel off just like that, I’ve had it at the dealer 3 times for it and going on 4. They put them on with color being off and redo it and still coming off. Pretty pathetic that a $60,000 vehicle has fender flares held on by tape. Probably gonna have to raise a lil hell if not fixed this time or get a lawyer to sue jeep for a lemon law. It’s ridiculous

·
Registered
2 Posts
forgot to mention i was at the dealeship the other week dealing with this and they have a brand new summit 2020 in there and im looking at it and see that it has the same problem. I tell the salesman which is a good friend and he's in disbelief. I just laugh and walk a way.
This attachment is from my 2018
D85DA21B-5584-4E87-91FF-BAE3FABE5CFE.jpeg

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I redid one of mine AGAIN a few days ago. Looked just like that photo. This time I used superglue and carefully dripped a fair amount down into that area getting it on the interior flat area of the "crevice". Then held it tight for a while but it wasn't drying fast enough and my fingers were getting tired. So I got out my harbor freight heat gun and put some heat to the area while I pushed it tight with the handle end of rubber coated pliers. Took about 5 + minutes of heat and pressure and finally the glue dried out and held. So far it's still glued closed. Previous failed attempts included superglue without heat, special decal adhesive, and special decal foam tape, none of which lasted more than a few minutes to days. Attached pics are my latest fix....

·
Registered
Black High Altitude
68 Posts
My wife’s 2018 high altitude are separating like Pdennis. This is Ridiculous. If it’s not the random rattle from the panaremic roof it’s always something.

Anyone have the rattle from their roof? It actually sounds like it’s coming from the back but when you press on the plastic bar that’s in the middle it goes away(glass must be closed). Also won’t rattle if glass is open since the black bar is pushed down.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This has been a battle on my '15 Summit since I bought it. I put new 3M tape in there and it is good for about a day, then it starts lifting away. I am amazed any manufacturer would just use double sided foam tape to hold molding on like this, but to be fair, my $80k Infiniti QX had more gaps and it used clips.

As to sunroof, I was able to get it to go away for a while by tightening all bolts but it has returned intermittently. I'm trying to just ignore it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts