Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
The "REAL" JeepGarage Founder
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They didn't have the correct filter yet! Lol. On a side note my oil life readout shows 68% remaining. So why would I need an oil change at 3200 miles? Engineers from ChryFi know more about the oil life than I do so I said to hell with it and will just wait. Supposedly a light comes on within 500 miles of needing changed. What are you guys going by?

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Follow the EVIC, or the 12 month, 10,000 mile recommendations that are in the owner's manual. That's pretty standard, and has been with many manufacturers.

The 3,000 mile oil change is more outdated than in dash CD players. :lol:

Is there a new oil filter for the '14s?

---

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,195 Posts
Who is THEY in this statement? The dealership? An auto parts store? Did you decide on your own to change it?

·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. I was at a dealership. 4 oil changes for $44.95 means I'm not lifting a finger.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry. I was at a dealership. 4 oil changes for $44.95 means I'm not lifting a finger.
I got 2 years of maintenance included on my purchase, but unfortunately it means nothing to me as I don't drive the max miles. It would take me 4 years to get to 10K miles, so I guess I will have to go with once a year.

I thought it was 6 months though??

·
Jeep Addict
1,613 Posts
The 3,000 mile oil change is more outdated than in dash CD players. :lol:
Hahaha..:lol:

Who would have thought that having a CD-Player in the center console would be the invention of the century?:p

Reactions: Srt8_hmi

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,734 Posts
They didn't have the correct filter yet! Lol. On a side note my oil life readout shows 68% remaining. So why would I need an oil change at 3200 miles? Engineers from ChryFi know more about the oil life than I do so I said to hell with it and will just wait. Supposedly a light comes on within 500 miles of needing changed. What are you guys going by?
I don't believe they changed filters on the 3.6 or 5.7? I am confused!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I got 2 years of maintenance included on my purchase, but unfortunately it means nothing to me as I don't drive the max miles. It would take me 4 years to get to 10K miles, so I guess I will have to go with once a year.

I thought it was 6 months though??
It was 6 months on the 11-13's. For 2014, looks like they upped it to 12 months. Fine by me as that means I get to do it once a year.
Note: This is for the low mileage folks.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I believe for 2014 it is slightly different filter (just seal) on V6. Old one will leak!!! Be careful!

At least that what it was posted here on this forum somewhere. They even had new part #.

·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the thread pitch changed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
No reason why the dealer couldn't use the old 3.6l filter tho.

CAUTION!!!

;) The 2014 V6 uses new oil filter part# 68191349AA (MO-349 on the box). The "old style filter will not work". The new filter has a protrusion on the down side end with a small dia o-ring that fits into the housing bottom. The new filter is said to have different cap o-ring also. The new filter does not come out with the housing cap. Remove cap, filter stays in place until you pull it out.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I took my 14 overland in Friday for an oil change to a local shop.... They ordered a 2014 filter, which turned out to be a 2013 filter. This resulted in a 'Oil Pressure Low' message in the EVIC and check engine light on.

The shop could not figure it out. I took it to the dealer today. They spent most of the day trying to figure it out (replacing oil pressure sensor, etc) before looking at the filter, seeing it's the 2013 filter, replacing with the 2014.
(All for no charge, which was very nice)

Moral of the story.... Read the part number and make sure it matches the one posted above!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I took my 14 overland in Friday for an oil change to a local shop.... They ordered a 2014 filter, which turned out to be a 2013 filter. This resulted in a 'Oil Pressure Low' message in the EVIC and check engine light on.

The shop could not figure it out. I took it to the dealer today. They spent most of the day trying to figure it out (replacing oil pressure sensor, etc) before looking at the filter, seeing it's the 2013 filter, replacing with the 2014.

Moral of the story.... Read the part number and make sure it matches the one posted above!
A good way to end up paying for an engine out of your own pocket. You took it to an independent shop that put the wrong filter on. Now you have driven your new engine with low oil pressure. Not Good. That will now be in your service records so if you have a future engine problem it probably won't be covered. That's why its a good idea to let the dealer change the oil.

·
Banned
909 Posts

you have 10,000 miles on a 14 already???

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I'm not trying to be critical here or anything, but I want the best service I can get for my $40-$50k vehicle. I know people have complained about some dealer's service departments being underwhelming, but the kid at the oil quick-change center was delivering a paper route last week. Saving 10 bucks on an oil change is not a priority with me, if it was I'd be changing my own. The really great thing about using dealer service is the record of service they keep, very handy in a warranty dispute. I have to say I'm very lucky to have a dealer who's only 3-4 miles away, and after dealing with them since the mid 80's, I've come to trust their service department implicitly. Years ago I turned my own wrenches, but now I let someone else do the dirty work, and I think my dealer is the one to do it.

·
Banned
909 Posts
I'm not trying to be critical here or anything, but I want the best service I can get for my $40-$50k vehicle. I know people have complained about some dealer's service departments being underwhelming, but the kid at the oil quick-change center was delivering a paper route last week. Saving 10 bucks on an oil change is not a priority with me, if it was I'd be changing my own. The really great thing about using dealer service is the record of service they keep, very handy in a warranty dispute. I have to say I'm very lucky to have a dealer who's only 3-4 miles away, and after dealing with them since the mid 80's, I've come to trust their service department implicitly. Years ago I turned my own wrenches, but now I let someone else do the dirty work, and I think my dealer is the one to do it.
Isn't that the measure of how you know you've made it in life when you can afford to pay somebody else to do your work for you LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts