Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

When do you change your oil for the first time?

• Oil change after first 500 miles, then another at 1000 miles. Then follow maintenance schedule.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Oil change at 1000 miles. Then follow maintenance schedule.

Votes: 23 26.7%
  • Oil change between the first 3000 - 5000 miles. Then follow maintenance schedule.

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • Follow the maintenane schedule and forget about 'break-in period' oil changes.

Votes: 24 27.9%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to pick up my plates at the dealer today and figured since the Jeep has ~1000 miles, I'd get an oil change done to flush out some of the metal shavings / filings...The Service Manager actually told me to hold off until at least 3k at the earliest as 'Chrysler puts an additive into the oil to help with engine break-in'.

I would do it myself, but I get a decent package deal on oil changes, I don't have to worry about disposing of oil, and I have a record of the oil being changed / car being 'inspected' for any potential warranty concerns.

I know it's unnecessary per the maintenance schedule to have the oil changed this early, but it's just something I've done after buying brand new cars in the past. Kind of amazing to see the amount of metal filings / shavings that come out during the first oil change or two.

I searched on this and maybe I didn't go far enough back into the threads, and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions on this, but wanted to see if there was a general consensus between changing the oil early, then adhering to the maintenance schedule, or just following the maintenance schedule immediately.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
Read the owner's manual. Too many opinions will be based on what "used to be true"

----

---

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
By the book works for me.

·
Registered
Limited 4x4
1,057 Posts
None of the above. It depends on how long the vehicle has been on the lot, but I typically do the first change at 1500. The run 3000, then follow manual for "normal" schedule -- which is always 6 months for me. The time always occurs before mileage and OLM for me.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I'm planning on doing my first at 3000, then using the built in system for all remaining changes.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I did mine at 1000. Yes, that is 'old school'. But, I've had enough new engines in the past that it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to change it early. I have seen metal shavings on every single one in the past...lots of them.

The funny thing about the Jeep though - the drain plug doesn't have a magnet on it, so the typical furball of shavings wasn't there.

Was it a waste of time? Probably... I still feel better about it though.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
Oil changes are cheap, so if it gives someone peace of mind it's money well spent.

My own thought is that even at 1,000 miles, the engine has already done more than a couple of million revolutions. If there was something in there that would cause damage it would already been done.

As for the magnet on the oil plug, how much of the internals are aluminum or some other non-magnetic material? I have no idea, but maybe it's enough to make a magnet less effective.

---

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm at 3,200 and the computer still says I have 60% life left. I'm debating changing now or going by what the computer says.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just changed mine today at 3,300 miles. It was nothing more than piece of mind for me. BTW - The dealer installed the wrong oil filter (pre 2014 version) after I told them to double check this up front. A low oil pressure warning immediately came on and I turned right around. I cannot understand how the dealer did not catch this when they pulled the vehicle out of the bay and around the building...

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7
3,920 Posts
Is anyone going to switch to full synthetic after their first oil change?
Yes changed my Summit 5.7 at 1200 miles to the Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic. I figured if its good enough for the SRT its good enough for me :). You can pickup the 5w20 5 quart jugs at walmart for $26 pretty cheap oil change for a full synthetic. Funny how it took 7 3/4 quart to get it up to full line, not over the full line just up to the full line. Just putting 7 in like it says leaves it at the add line. I put 12k on it a year so just doing one change in the spring and one in the fall

·
Registered
65 Posts
It depends on the engine, or the SRT, I would go with your gut as well as the computer because of heavy torque. For the 6cyl I would just rely on the computer as it takes into account, total hours, mileage, towing and gives you a heads up. It also depends on the oil you or your dealer is putting in. Synthetic of course changes the numbers in your favor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did mine at 1100 because I was there picking up my plates and it was free. Service writer said it was a waste, blah, blah, blah, but I said I was old school and would feel better getting any of the break-in spooge out. When I got the car back, there was a nice reminder sticker on the windshield that said the car was due in 3000 miles! So much for the service writer's BS!

·
Registered
2014 GC/Overland V8
3,307 Posts
Yeah I'll be switching to synthetic after my first oil change. Does anyone else bring their synthetic oil to the dealership and just have them to put it in for you or am I the only one,they only charge 10.00 bucks for the waste removal.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Yeah I'll be switching to synthetic after my first oil change. Does anyone else bring their synthetic oil to the dealership and just have them to put it in for you or am I the only one,they only charge 10.00 bucks for the waste removal.
I have contemplated doing this so I know for sure what is in it and save some money.

·
Registered
2014 GC/Overland V8
3,307 Posts
The dealer I use is cool,you bring in the oil and filter and they take care of it and then just charge a waste disposal fee of 10.00. Now for the other side of the story I also used this other dealer that I obviously no longer go to ,so I bring in the oil and oil filter all synthetic and I just happen to be standing around in the back lot looking at cars and what do I observe?? The service guy assigned to my car load my oil into another car and very quickly heading around to the employees lot and then he loads my purchased and unopened oil into the trunk of a car then he goes back and performs my oil change with REGULAR OIL!! So after my car is done and off the rack and put in the lot for my pickup I go get the service manager and ask him to follow me over to the service guys bay and I tell him I need all the oil bottles and box from the oil filter for rebates,the service manager is looking at me strange and the service guy turns white. I ask him to show me the garbage can where he dumped them and I'll get them myself again rambling convo and then says the porters cleaned the garbage cans already mind you I've watched this all unfold. Finally i reveal to the service manager my observations and pics from my iPhone and he almost passed out..the guy is still denying anything until he's asked by his boss to open the trunk of the car I saw him put my items in..which was HIS car..all my 7 quarts and oil filter was there in his trunk....that guy got locked up for theft by the police and lost a job he's had for 10 years after I signed complaints. Be careful about what's going on with you car and who's doing the work. I've never been back there since,not gonna allow and sabotage of my car and there's obviously no trust. Why not let the guy go?? The principals of the incident,the theft and lying and who else has that guy possibly stolen from and never got caught?? Jail and job loss over 29.99 plus tax which is what I paid for the oil and filter and his loss of probably 45.00 and hour. There are trustworthy and excellent dealerships out there with reputable guys working its a matter of where you go and being watchful and trust in those people that do the work.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.