Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for my first oil change for my 5.7 hemi and for those first 6k miles I always thought it has synthetic oil!...guess not!! Dealer also changed the oil with 7qts of regular oil

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It better be synthetic or the correct oil weight or it will mess up the mds system.

·
Registered
2014 GC/Overland V8
3,305 Posts
So the 2014 grand Cherokees use 7 quarts of oil at a weight of 5w 20?? When I switch to synthetic after the first oil change I'll be looking for sale prices on the synthetic to offset that pricing. Lol

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
So the 2014 grand Cherokees use 7 quarts of oil at a weight of 5w 20?? When I switch to synthetic after the first oil change I'll be looking for sale prices on the synthetic to offset that pricing. Lol
Costco usually runs a coupon sale ($10.00 off) every few months for Mobil 1 5W-20. Comes as 6 quarts in a box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah I too expected synthetic when I had my 2011 GC oil change done at the dealer...found out they used a synthetic blend 5w20. I'm torn with doing my own oil changes using full synthetic old and going to the dealership for their "free" oil changes for life.

Oh well, maybe once the warranty runs out ill feel better about changing my own oil and using synthetic.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Thanks I'll put the truck in its highest setting and slide underneath and change the oil myself.
Maybe I'm over cautious, but I would still stick jack stands under there.

---

·
Registered
617 Posts
Walmart has a good everyday price on pennzoil platinum. I purchased the 30 oil changes for something like $15 a piece when I bought my Jeep. I bring my own oil and they do the work and change the filter. Comes out to under $50 a change.

You should see if they can still sell you a package on the oil changes...sure beats having to crawl under the car and dispose of the old oil.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
So manual says before 10k miles....what will most of you guys typically do?
Typically I would follow the EVIC, or the 10,000 mile limit. But since they gave me 4 free oil changes to be used in 2 years, I probably do one every six months.

---

·
Registered
2015 MB C300 Sport
1,191 Posts
Personally, I'll be changing my oil / oil filter every 5000 miles, using Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic and a Mopar oil filter.

Usually smaller displacement engines like the 3.6L V6 are harder on oil than a larger V8 engine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts