Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

First time off roading on the beach.

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Redsand 
#1 ·
If anyone was wondering my Jeep GC limited with QT2 performed flawlessly on the beach without a hiccup. I took my 2017 limited on the beach on Long Island and the QT2 sand mode worked great. Stock tire were aired down to 18 psi. Sand was super soft and ruts were fairly deep, early in the season so the sand wasn't traveled on frequently yet. I was a little apprehensive at first but once I got going I got used to the handling characteristics quickly and had a blast. Can't wait to do it again. Gave her a nice long fresh water bath when I got home.

#7 ·
Second day off roading on the beach. This time I went to the sore thumb. Sand is a lot deeper in spots here and the trails are narrower. The weather was terrible and not a lot of other 4x4s so didn't want to chance getting stuck with nobody around. I played it safe and stayed close to the trails. Windscreen wiper Road Mode of transport Windshield Automotive exterior
Sky Natural environment Sand Cloud Road
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Electronics Multimedia Satellite radio

#8 ·
Awesome! I just took my 2018 out on the beach down here in south jersey for the first time over the weekend...

Sand mode even with tires inflated @ 35psi impressed me. I usually save the beach for my WJ since I really don't care what the salt does to it.

#11 ·
Nice, I aired down to 17 psi, you really should air down some because it saves the beach and less strain on your transmission. You glide over the sand not through it when you air down. I also put front and rear recovery points on my limited just in case I need a pull. If you don't air down you could actually dig yourself in.

#19 ·
Yeah thats very good advice. I only took it out for one quick run so I didn't wanna go through the trouble. I use my WJ for the beach which has all the proper recovery gear and correct tire pressure. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
I've driven 3 different vehicles on the beach in Oregon without airing down although the sand wasn't that soft as you usually see 2WD vehicles out there. One person left their full-sized pickup in 2WD and ended up digging holes in the sand. Lucky for them, I was hoping to get some sunset pictures and was able to pull them out. His wife was not afraid they would be stuck out there after dark until we pulled up. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.