Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Creaking noise coming from the front of the vehicle, that goes through the whole body and might sound like its coming from the inside the cabin, associated with the acceleration and braking at low speeds, suspension going up and down at low speeds...

The front sub-frame that holds the suspension and engine, mounts to the body through big rubber bushings and long bolts through the bushings, 4, one at each corner... ...the rear 2 bushings have A-Frame braces below the bushing.... ....this bushing, brace and bolt are the source of the creaking....

Seems water gets into the inner sleeve of the bushing, causes corrosion and this creaks the creaking as the bushing deflects and moves slightly with the forces of accelerating/decelerating and suspension motion....

A video about it....

The location of this bolt, from the video...

My own photos, where you can actually see the sub-frame to locate the bolt....

You only want to remove 1 bolt at a time, remember this is holding the sub-frame to the body.... ...remove the bolt, clean the corrosion, then thoroughly coat the bolt in Antiseize or grease, use a q-tip to spread lots of antiseize/grease inside the bushing as well, reinstall the bolt and tighten to 130 Ft-Lbs...

Granted, its only been a couple of drives since doing this, so I don't know if or when the creaking will come back, but it worked like a charm for me, no more creaking.....

·
Registered
'14 Jeep GC limited 5.7
4 Posts
Hey thank you so much for posting this video. I've been racking my head trying to figure this out. Mine is 14 GC 5.7 with 103k. This just started up last week when our temp really dropped.
Thanks again
Countjoe

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A little bit of creek has come back on the passenger side after a week.... ...it was cold out when I did this and the sun setting, so I rushed the job a bit....

So I look it over, my torque wrench was set to 120ft-lbs, the actual spec in the FSM Is 129 ft-lbs, so I retorqued the bolts to the proper torque and gave it another 16th of a turn...... ...that improved it, but didn't eliminate it, still a bit of creaking on the passenger side....

There are also posts about the bent up A brackets causing the noise as well.... ...and my passenger side A bracket is bent up, its a perfect spot for placing a jack stand underneath it, but will bend it up, the bending it up will cause contact with the metal parts of the bushing, so slight motion that will cause a creaking noise....

A little pounding with a drift and hammer, again improved it, but didn't totally eliminate it...... ....now I'm looking into replacing the A brackets.....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got brand new A brackets and bolts and installed them. No more noise, what so ever.....

Where these A brackets are located, they are perfect for putting jack stands under them. So as well as water getting into the bolt holes and causing corrosion that creates noise, the A brackets can be bent up from putting jack stands under them and they make contact on parts they're not supposed to, thus a little shifting cause metal to metal rubbing...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I was able to both remove and clean up the bolts, then later completely replace the braces and bolts with the vehicle level on the ground.

But it does take a lot of torque to move the big bolt, and it rusts, so in some cases you might need to put it up on jack stands and remove the tires to get the leverage for stubborn bolts.....

·
Registered
2016 Grand Cherokee
29 Posts
@Mongo53 Your post just clarified my issue. I've been beating my head against the driveway trying to figure this creaking out. Thank you. I think I will be replacing these A brackets as well.

Do you have a part number for these A brackets?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
BRACKET, Crossmember, Left52124643AB
1​
BRACKET, Crossmember, Right52124642AB
1​
BOLT AND WASHER, Hex Head,
M14X1.50X147.00
06509240AA
2​
BOLT AND WASHER, Hex Head, M8x1.25x20, Cradle Bracket to Body06104384AA
6​

This is from the 2011 Parts Catalog, you might want to confirm if its changed in later years.

They are not expensive if you order from a Dealer Online, even cheaper if you can find them Ebay, even cheaper since you don't have to pay S&H.

Once you replace them, never rest them on jackstands or jacks again. My old were scalloped, basically bowed, compared to the new. It was touching other metal pieces, because the bracket was bowed up, so the slightest shifting made them scrape and creak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1​
1​
M14X1.50X147.00
06509240AA
2​
6​
Really appreciate this. I have a 2021 JGC Trailhawk and I just finished painting my calipers - of course I placed the jack stands on these cross members when I was removing the calipers. So, now the passenger front side makes creaking/squeeking noise. I purchased the parts earlier today from my local dealer to make the repair.

The large bolt requires ~130 foot/lbs of torque. Do you know the torq values of the small bolts?

Thanks again for this.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2nd time around, I didn't bother with a torque wrench. I torqued down the smaller bolts hard and the big bolts for all I was worth. No squeak.

Actually, I used my electric impact wrench. Small bolts let it run down till tight, big bolts let it run for a good 5 secs of it notching the bolts down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 2nd time around, I didn't bother with a torque wrench.

Thanks for the additional info. I will make the repair this evening. Last night I put my (calibrated) torque wrench on the small bolts and mine were torqued to exactly 30 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just fixed my thump/squeak a couple of months ago. One of my large bolts was improperly torqued which made a thumping noise when enter small ditches at speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got brand new A brackets and bolts and installed them. No more noise, what so ever.....

Where these A brackets are located, they are perfect for putting jack stands under them. So as well as water getting into the bolt holes and causing corrosion that creates noise, the A brackets can be bent up from putting jack stands under them and they make contact on parts they're not supposed to, thus a little shifting cause metal to metal rubbing...
Thank you for posting this. And especially for the part numbers! I'm going to try this fix on my '14 SRT. It squeaks like an old rocking chair. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Really appreciate this. I have a 2021 JGC Trailhawk and I just finished painting my calipers - of course I placed the jack stands on these cross members when I was removing the calipers. So, now the passenger front side makes creaking/squeeking noise. I purchased the parts earlier today from my local dealer to make the repair.

The large bolt requires ~130 foot/lbs of torque. Do you know the torq values of the small bolts?

Thanks again for this.
I’m having this issue after jacking my car up, when replacing thebracket, is there any special way to do it? Or do I just unbolt and put the new one directly on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
1​
1​
M14X1.50X147.00
06509240AA
2​
6​

This is from the 2011 Parts Catalog, you might want to confirm if its changed in later years.

They are not expensive if you order from a Dealer Online, even cheaper if you can find them Ebay, even cheaper since you don't have to pay S&H.

Once you replace them, never rest them on jackstands or jacks again. My old were scalloped, basically bowed, compared to the new. It was touching other metal pieces, because the bracket was bowed up, so the slightest shifting made them scrape and creak.
I know this old, but I jacked my car up exactly where you’re pointing out and sure enough, it’s creaking like a MF’r now. When replacing the bracket, is there a special way to do it? Or just remove the old one and put the other directly on?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know this old, but I jacked my car up exactly where you’re pointing out and sure enough, it’s creaking like a MF’r now. When replacing the bracket, is there a special way to do it? Or just remove the old one and put the other directly on?
Just remember the big bolt going through the front of the brace is one of the bolts for the front subframe that holds the engine and suspension, and there are only 4 bolts holding that sub-frame on to the body.

I have replaced the braces with the vehicle jacked up and sitting on the ground, one bolt removed from the subframe it will sag an inch at that corner, the bolt tightens it back down.

So clearly, you want to replace one at a time with the subframe bolted down at 3 points when you pull one of the four points. Don't pull them both at the same time, I can imagine that could be a disaster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just remember the big bolt going through the front of the brace is one of the bolts for the front subframe that holds the engine and suspension, and there are only 4 bolts holding that sub-frame on to the body.

I have replaced the braces with the vehicle jacked up and sitting on the ground, one bolt removed from the subframe it will sag an inch at that corner, the bolt tightens it back down.

So clearly, you want to replace one at a time with the subframe bolted down at 3 points when you pull one of the four points. Don't pull them both at the same time, I can imagine that could be a disaster.
Ok, so long as I only do one bracket at a time, I don’t have to worry about breaking anything? Just want to make sure haha. Thank you for the response by the way.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L Hemi
199 Posts
Does anyone have an updated video/audio of the symptoms here to share? The OP video no longer works. TYIA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone have an updated video/audio of the symptoms here to share? The OP video no longer works. TYIA
I’ll get one for you later, I’m gonna attempt to bang mine back into normal position with a hammer. It’s like an old creaky floorboard when braking at low speed or taking turns slowly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ll get one for you later, I’m gonna attempt to bang mine back into normal position with a hammer. It’s like an old creaky floorboard when braking at low speed or taking turns slowly.
If it’s the bracket causing the sound, you can physically see it. Like when I look at mine, it’s bent to ****. Just compare it with the good side and you’ll see it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts