Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
The other day bi started noticing a a bubbling sound behind the dash on start up. It goes away after a minute or so. But there has been a couple of times that my temp has climbed up to 3/4 and then falls back to normal. At first I thought this to be a possible thermostat not opening at the right temp, but thermostat doesn’t explain the bubbling. I brought it to the dealer and told them what’s going on. The told me that there was a bit of build up in the rad and overflow, (which I already noticed) so they did a drain and flush. They said they took it for a test drive and everything was fine and no air bubbles. I told them I only hear the bubbles when I start it up in the morning after its been sitting for a while. Anyways, I picked up the car and sure enough, same sound.it actually sounds like there is more bubbles now. When I picked up my car I asked them how come they didn’t figure out why there was bubbles getting into the system and why there is deposits in my radiator. They just said its normal, and that’s it. Cooling system is a sealed circuit. Nothing should get in or out. If there is air getting in somewhere I’m worried, if deposits are forming I’m worried. I’m not sure where I should look next. I took this to as dealer to save me from throwing parts at this thing and all I’ve gained in the process is a huge bill from the dealer and the issue isn’t solved. Any help or experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I do take the GC to some pretty remote locations, driving up/through mountain logging roads, and the idea of this issue being something serious worries me.

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey, Sorry to hear your problem.

I had a similar experience after flushing and refilling the system. I took it to the dealer and told them that there is a sound.

What they did? they added more 50/50 radiator fluid and took care of the air trapped in the heater because I think it is the highest point of the system.

What also can help but I am not sure, is putting the car into a steep incline and decline, to help the air to travel and exit the system.

You have to get rid of the sound because it is not good to leave air trapped in the system.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 GC Overland
282 Posts
As you've noted the bubble sound is likely air in the coolant circulating in the heater core and hoses. Here's something to consider. Cooling is not an air tight "sealed system" in the truest sense (like an AC system is) because of the overflow/recovery tank for fluid overflow when hot and recovery as it cools. You didn't mention seeing any leakage on the garage floor, under the hood or on the interior carpeting but the temp gauge did show hot until fluid was flowing which can indicate low coolant level/air in the system. I would check several things. Is the coolant recovery tank over filled when hot? Is the radiator fluid low when you take the radiator cap off? It's possible the fluid goes into the overflow/recovery tank when hot but air is sucked back into the system as it cools, possibly from a faulty radiator cap. Ideally, the radiator coolant level will always be right to the top of the filler neck when cold.
Buy a replacement cap, remove the old cap when the engine is cold, start the engine and let it warm long enough for the fluid to circulate and add coolant a little at a time while the engine is running but keeping it a little below full. You will likely see some "belching" as bubbles of air are purged from the heater core and hoses. When you no longer see air belching from the radiator filler and no longer have to incrementally add coolant, top the radiator off, put the new radiator cap on, mark the "cold" fluid level on the recovery tank and drive the vehicle until it's at normal operating temp. The coolant level in the recovery tank should now be higher than it was cold. Mark the high "hot" level and let the engine cool all the way off, probably for several hours. As the engine cools the fluid should be sucked back into the radiator and the level in the recovery tank return pretty close to the "cold" level again. If it's still near the "high" mark when cold it's likely that air instead of coolant was sucked back into the radiator and there's still a leak somewhere. Remove the radiator cap to confirm whether it's full or not. If not check for a bad/loose hose that goes between the radiator cap and recovery tank. Good luck! Hopefully the fix will be something cheap and easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,
The other day bi started noticing a a bubbling sound behind the dash on start up. It goes away after a minute or so. But there has been a couple of times that my temp has climbed up to 3/4 and then falls back to normal. At first I thought this to be a possible thermostat not opening at the right temp, but thermostat doesn’t explain the bubbling. I brought it to the dealer and told them what’s going on. The told me that there was a bit of build up in the rad and overflow, (which I already noticed) so they did a drain and flush. They said they took it for a test drive and everything was fine and no air bubbles.

Thanks in advanced

Hi.. were you able to solve the problem. I have the same problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anyone solves this problem I have same issue and can’t figure it out
I had a similar issue not too long ago. 2014, 167K now. Probably 135K when this started. Bought new, very very well taken care of. Luckily I have the real, unlimited, maxcare warranty.

I started hearing a 'whooshing' sound when the engine would start warming up, but it would stabilize and run fine after a bit. Temps would climb as described. Then I heard the bubbling even after it warmed up. Things gradually got worse, and the engine started overheating. I'd have to keep adding coolant, since it would bubble out the overflow. After much research, I built my own vacuum system to pull the air out of the engine. This didn't help. After 400-600 miles, it would come back.

6 trips to the dealer where 'we can't replicate the problem' and I lost it with them. Finally found out that my block had warped somehow, and was leaking gases into the coolant. No oil, no froth, no normal symptoms of a failure like this. Coolant stayed perfectly normal, as far as look and smell. Just kept getting bubbles in there that added air into the system. They did eventually replace the block. It took them 2 frigging months to do so. With exactly ZERO updates to me as far as when I'd get my car back. I had more words with them about that, and I'm still pissed. Anyway.

They said they'd never seen anything like this before. But it sounds like you have the same problem I did. Since they swapped the block, this hasn't happened again. I have other issues from them not putting things back together properly, but this issue did get fixed.

The 'real' method of purging is complicated and requires special equipment, including a vacuum pump. Apparently, having the heater core be the highest point in the system is slightly more fuel efficient than having the radiator cap be the highest point. Why? No idea. But that's what they told me. You can mostly fake it by parking nose-up on a really really steep hill when cold and letting the system do its thing with the heat on max, but it still doesn't get all the bubbles out if you have the issue I did. Open the radiator cap when cold, let the engine start warming, and add coolant until it can't take any more. Close things up and drive for a week or so. But the bubbles just come back almost immediately if the warpage is bad enough. And, for me, it definitely got worse as time when on.

I really hope you don't have what I did. But if you get unexplainable air in the coolant, know that it can happen with no contamination from a warped engine block. I'm actually really curious to know if you have the same problem I did. They made me feel like a leper with 18 other diseases because this 'was so rare we've never heard of anything like this ever'.

Just an fyi, I replaced my thermostat (multiple), radiator cap (multiple), and water pump trying to diagnose this. Then it went to the dealer. I hate dealers, even with my unlimited warranty. One issue gets fixed, and two new ones pop up. I now have multiple small oil leaks and various other problems including exhaust in the cabin that I never had before.

PM me if you want. I don't log in here too often, but I will definitely reply as soon as I see a message.

Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts