Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2008 Liberty Sport, which I love, but whoever originally purchased it didn't opt for the fog lamps in the headlights. If I was to purchase new headlights with fog lamps, how easy would it be to wire them up, considering there is no switch for fog lights on the turn signal? Could I employ one of the unused buttons on the bottom of the center dashboard?
Or is this all not worth it?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Yes you can jury rig an unused switch to control a relay for after market fog lamps.
But that would require custom installing the aftermarket fogs.

A better option if not handy would be to check with your Jeep dealership and see if they have a FCA kit to install the OEM fogs. But that could be pricey.
My old XJ did not have OEM fogs but i got the Jeep dealership to install OEM fogs free of charge which is a long story.
Same with my old '14 Jeep Patriot but i had to pay the dealership for that one.

Out here in deer vs. car country and foggy weather i couldn't live without fogs on my vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you can jury rig an unused switch to control a relay for after market fog lamps.
But that would require custom installing the aftermarket fogs.

A better option if not handy would be to check with your Jeep dealership and see if they have a FCA kit to install the OEM fogs. But that could be pricey.
My old XJ did not have OEM fogs but i got the Jeep dealership to install OEM fogs free of charge which is a long story.
Same with my old '14 Jeep Patriot but i had to pay the dealership for that one.

Out here in deer vs. car country and foggy weather i couldn't live without fogs on my vehicles.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of these(attached picture) to just pop in, but don't know offhand if the wiring is there for the fogs. If not, maybe I could run a relay to the dash with new button. I'm in eastern PA, so for sure need the fogs.
Automotive lighting Product Automotive parking light Font Rectangle

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
OH, the fogs on the Liberty are included in the headlight assembly?
That might make upgrading a lot easier.

Doubt it but they might of used a different headlight connector for the fog option which needs to be verified.
Need to do some homework on whether the headlight connector can power the fog lamp.
If not you'll need to buy the correct connector or get one from a junk yard.

Keep in mind OEM fogs when enabled are designed to work only with low beams and turn off when brights.
With some fancy wiring, maybe a schematic, a relay and an ON-OFF-ON 3 position switch then;
ON 1 position = fogs on only with low beams (OEM compliant),
OFF position = fogs unconditionally off,
ON 2 position = fogs unconditionally on (typically for off road or lonely road use).
I wired the aux. driving lights on my XJ that way and it works great for all kinds of different driving conditions.

Of course you could wire it up with a simple ON/OFF switch but there's a very remote chance you could get pulled over by a Barney Fife if you forget to turn off the fogs when the brights are enabled.
To get them OEM compliant you could energize the relay coil from the low beam power wire with the switch in series.
But that would depend on if the low beams stay on with the high beams which is the case with some cars.

Whatever route you take, make sure the main fog power and the relay's coil power are properly fused.
Good Luck and let us know hot it turned out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.