Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what was the very best 12v battery you found? There are so many AGM batteries and when it comes time(2013 JGC) to replace mine, I want the best available.

Dan

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think 3-4 years but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I usually shoot for 5 years on a battery. If it makes it past 4, I am happy.

There are so many battery brands out there, it gets very confusing. But dozens upon dozens of each brand are actually the same battery, all owned/built by the same manufacturer.

Sadly, Walmart's batteries are widely considered to be good. They are made by a very decent manufacturer, although the name escapes me at the moment.

Costco batteries are also generally considered among the best as well, and if you have a membership, cheaper than most (if not all).

When it comes to "the best battery," that is like asking what is the best tire. You are going to get lots of different opinions. :)

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,779 Posts
Battery life can be unperdictable but if you are doing good 4 to 5 years on regular lead acid and 6 to 8 on AGM. some will will get more some less

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had 2 Sears platinum in my 2500 cummins. 4 year non prorated warranty, then prorated beyond that.
They are not cheap, but no GOOD AGM battery is....

I did have one die 3 years in (truck has 2)...and Sears replaced it on the spot with a brand new one one month old.
Both have been in over 5 years and cranks that cummins like a top, even in 10 deg weather....

I'm certainly not saying Sears is best, but based on the no hassle warranty,no questions asked replacement warranty, it would be one my list to review.....

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks y'all. Your opinions are what I'm looking for.

SD, no Costco within 100 miles of here. 😞

Dan

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think it does vary a good bit based on the postings. A few months ago, I went to Sears to replace the Diehard in my 96 Cherokee. I didn't realize how long it was in there, but after checking my receipt, it was 10 years old. Curious what I will get from the AGM type in my 14 GC.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had 2 Sears platinum in my 2500 cummins. 4 year non prorated warranty, then prorated beyond that.

I did have one die 3 years in (truck has 2)...and Sears replaced it on the spot with a brand new one one month old.
Both have been in over 5 years and cranks that cummins like a top, even in 10 deg weather....

I'm certainly not saying Sears is best, but based on the no hassle warranty,no questions asked replacement warranty, it would be one my list to review.....

I'm a Sears diehard battery fan myself, typically I buy a vehicle new, 3-4yrs the stock battery goes out and I drop in a diehard, then it lasts until it trade the vehicle. I've done this with the past 3 cars. My wife's 2010 370z stock battery lasted 4 years, it now has a diehard and she plans on keeping the car forever so we'll see!

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,839 Posts
I'm a Sears diehard battery fan myself, typically I buy a vehicle new, 3-4yrs the stock battery goes out and I drop in a diehard, then it lasts until it trade the vehicle. I've done this with the past 3 cars. My wife's 2010 370z stock battery lasted 4 years, it now has a diehard and she plans on keeping the car forever so we'll see!

Are you using AGM or Flooded?

---

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ceteris paribus, I would agree. However, I suggest that people balance these excellent warranty terms against the rather high risk of Sears going bankrupt within the next two years, which would nullify the warranty.

·
Registered
84 Jeep Scrambler
112 Posts

I just had to replace my Diehard Platinum AGM (rebadged Odyssey) batteries in my Dodge CTD and did get the benefit of the prorated warranty. Sadly, the new batteries have only the full replacement for 4 years with no pro-rate anymore. I think the old pro-rate warranty went out to 60 or 72 months.

·
Premium Member
'14 Jeep Overland
864 Posts
Thanks y'all. Your opinions are what I'm looking for. SD, no Costco within 100 miles of here. 😞. Dan

That sucks! :mad: I have purchased 2 batteries from Costco & the cost, selection, quality, & return policy make them hard to beat!! They are excellent batteries & always get very good reviews! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
'14 Jeep Overland
864 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Almost all auto batteries sold in the US are made by just two companies. They are Exide and Johnson Controls. When you buy a battery just remember that same battery is sold under many different brand names.

·
Registered
158 Posts
SD, no Costco within 100 miles of here. 😞
That does stink. We just got our Costco here a little over a year ago, and we are loving it. Almost earned enough in rewards to counter the higher cost of the Executive Membership, we were only about 50 cents short. :)

I've heard nothing but good about their batteries. Saw some rumors online that they will not be carrying the right size for the JGCs anymore, we will see in (hopefully) a few years when its time to replace the 2014's battery.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think most batteries are all made by the same 2 or 3 companies, and you can get a dud from any of them. My '11 GC was manufactured 10/10 and I replaced the battery last fall just because winter was coming and, after 8 years, I figured it was time. The Auto Zone "gold" was on sale for $159 so I bought it and it is doing fine. The old battery actually still tested good and I could have probably gotten another year or so out of it. Will probably replace the one in my '14 GC manufactured in Apr '13 next year so the wife won't get stranded somewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts