·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EVIC displayed

Exhaust Filter 100% Full - See Dealer
Service Electronic Throttle Control

Item needed
AlfaOBD phone application (Currently $49)
Compatible OB2 Scanner. I use the BAFX sold on Amazon ($23)

1. With the ignition on (vehicle not running) clear fault codes using AlfaOBD app.
-The EVIC should now display something similar to Continue driving at
Highway Speeds to Remedy Issue

2. In AlfaOBD app, select "DPF Regeneration Enabling" and select START

3.In AlfaOBD app, select "Particulate filter Regeneration"

4. Start vehicle and immediately select START "Particulate filter Regeneration"

When the stationary regen starts, the vehicle will idle at 2,000rpm and then eventually go to 2,500rpms. The EVIC display counted down in 10% increments from 100% to 50% for the DEF filter level. At 50% the regen was completed. The entire regen process took 25 minuets.

The "Service Electronic Throttle Control" was still displayed on the EVIC. I shut the vehicle off and then cleared the fault codes again.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
On my AlfaOBD app, you must follow this sequence for a manual regen:
'Engine'
'Diesel Bosch EDC17C49 >MY2013'
'DPF Regeneration Enabling' performs a moving regen during next drive cycle,
'Particulate Filter Regeneration' performs a parked regen when coolant is over 140f

No way to pull over, initiate a moving regen and pull away and it does it's thing as if it did it automatically? My problem is I sometimes get just about to my destination and it comes on as programmed and then tells me to "continue to drive". Since I monitor DPF I could initiate it a bit early in these situations so it could be complete by the time I get to my destination. Save time & save fuel. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
No way to pull over, initiate a moving regen and pull away and it does it's thing as if it did it automatically?

Yes. Turn your rig off, key back on, and initiate 'DPF Regeneration Enabling'. Start the rig and the regen will begin once your driving and temps are correct.

If I'm in the middle of a regen and arriving at my destination, I'll often just sit and idle to 1500rpm until it completes.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Yes. Turn your rig off, key back on, and initiate 'DPF Regeneration Enabling'. Start the rig and the regen will begin once your driving and temps are correct.

If I'm in the middle of a regen and arriving at my destination, I'll often just sit and idle to 1500rpm until it completes.

I like to continue to drive a bit after complete just to cool the DPF down a some, especially if I'm arriving home and inside my garage. At my work we had a brand new Chevy Duramax Diesel engine completely burn to the ground with less than 5,000 miles. Fire started in the engine compartment. It was a total loss. I wonder if it was during a regen?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

Does the Ecodiesel idle at 1500 during a regen in park, or do you hold the foot pedal to 1500? Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You have to hold the desired rpm.

chadg2, the ECM will run the fan after a shut down if it thinks the DPF is still too hot from a regen. These rigs are dumbed down to the most common denominator lol.

Thanks again. One last thing, have you changed any values in the AllphaOBD? Since all values are in metric and I'm in standard, how does that all work if I want to change a standard value and only have metric values to change? Is there an option to change AlphaOBD to standard values?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks again. One last thing, have you changed any values in the AllphaOBD? Since all values are in metric and I'm in standard, how does that all work if I want to change a standard value and only have metric values to change? Is there an option to change AlphaOBD to standard values?

I haven't really changed anything. I want to recalibrate my air suspension but haven't bit the bullet on being the guinea pig yet.

I would just google a conversion calculator and convert to metric if I wanted to make changes.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
474 Posts
You have to hold the desired rpm.

chadg2, the ECM will run the fan after a shut down if it thinks the DPF is still too hot from a regen. These rigs are dumbed down to the most common denominator lol.
Wow, I didn't know I could do a manual regen just revving the RPM to 1,500. I thought I had to drive a certain speed. I always drove. Lol.

So just to confirm. You can put it in Park then rev to 1,500 at least. Doesn't have to be in neutral. I thought the moment I hit Park, it stops the regen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm a total noob with my Jeep, but can I get a quick explanation of how regens work? I know the technical side (used to work for an after-treatment company for commercial vehicles), but wasn't sure how these regen warnings work with the Jeep. I've driven mine for over a month and a couple thousand miles and haven't noticed any regen messages or even know when a regen is happening? I did notice one day the idle was really high for a while and I thought that was odd. Was it doing a regen? How do you know when a regen is in progress?

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
474 Posts
I'm a total noob with my Jeep, but can I get a quick explanation of how regens work? I know the technical side (used to work for an after-treatment company for commercial vehicles), but wasn't sure how these regen warnings work with the Jeep. I've driven mine for over a month and a couple thousand miles and haven't noticed any regen messages or even know when a regen is happening? I did notice one day the idle was really high for a while and I thought that was odd. Was it doing a regen? How do you know when a regen is in progress?
Regens silently work in the background without notice for those that regularly do highway driving. You'll know your vehicle has undergone regen with the heightened smell emanating from the exhaust.

For those that are unable to do long drives on a regular basis, there is a forced regen message that will prompt to drive at highway speeds to complete one as the DPF filter is nearly full at that time. If this is ignored, you may have to let the dealer complete the regen manually.

Reactions: Dcsport

·
Registered
54 Posts
is this ALFA ODB app available for iPhone or just android?

am I understanding this correct that i can once a regen request comes on my dash I don't have to drive at highway speeds I can just put it in neutral and keep the rpms at 1500 and the regen process will continue and complete?

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
474 Posts
I actually tried to regen at 1,500 rpm stationary and honestly got tired after 15 minted just sitting in the car trying to throttle the pedal. I decided I prefer to drive on the highway. ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
is this ALFA ODB app available for iPhone or just android?

am I understanding this correct that i can once a regen request comes on my dash I don't have to drive at highway speeds I can just put it in neutral and keep the rpms at 1500 and the regen process will continue and complete?
No iPhone app for AlfaOBD, unfortunately. I ended up getting the PC version since I have no Android devices anymore. Unfortunately I only use Mac at home too but can run Windows on it so that worked ok for me.

·
Registered
846 Posts
OK I need to ask a question. First of all I can not believe how much you have to be a tech to own one of these vehicles. It's crazy. I have the fuse box jump wire for those 200 mile to no start when I'm 500 miles from any dealer. What a dumb ass thing. I also carry a scanner for getting rid of codes that are false. Now I need this "AlfaOBD App" to do manual Regens because the AEM might fill my filter faster. Gees. So what is this AlfaOBD?
Is it something I buy? I'm clueless here. I also just own a flip phone. No need for anything else, but my wife has a smart phone. Please help, I'm about ready to go on a 4000 mile trailer/camping trip. It's really sad that I have to worry about this stuff.

THANKS!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Couple of things, and the other guys can correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still new to the EcoDiesel...

1. AlfaOBD is mostly for customizing some vehicle settings and doing diagnostics. Sound like this isn't something you'll really have much use for. It is an app that you purchase (directly from their website) for either Android devices or Windows PC. I have it on my Mac that runs Windows and it works well. There is a very in depth thread on the Ram Forums for this, but it is probably way more than you care to get into anyway.
  2. From my understanding of the AEM (I haven't gotten it done yet), the only thing you may use more of is the DEF, which is independent of how quickly the DPF fills up. It isn't 100% clear on this, but since FCA got his for excessive NoX emissions, whatever they do for the fix shoulnd't (theoretically) affect the DPF, since DPFs filter out the particulates and not the NoX. The Urea/DEF is what neutralizes the NoX in conjunction with an SCR. I used to be an engineer for diesel aftertreatment but it's been a few years so I'm going off my terrible memory :D
  3. You should be fine on your road trip, as the manual regens (from what the guys are saying above) are only necessary if you do a lot of short drives and you fill the DPF before it has ideal conditions to run automatic regens (like highway driving). In my case, I drive 35 miles each way to work and most of it is on 55 or 65 mph speed limit highways so I've never ran into any regen issues; in fact as I stated above I never knew it was running regens! So if you're on a long road trip, you should be fine for regens. Just make sure your DEF is topped off and you'll be good.
  4. Curious, what is the fuse box jump wire mod?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Couple of things, and the other guys can correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still new to the EcoDiesel...

1. AlfaOBD is mostly for customizing some vehicle settings and doing diagnostics. Sound like this isn't something you'll really have much use for. It is an app that you purchase (directly from their website) for either Android devices or Windows PC. I have it on my Mac that runs Windows and it works well. There is a very in depth thread on the Ram Forums for this, but it is probably way more than you care to get into anyway.
  2. From my understanding of the AEM (I haven't gotten it done yet), the only thing you may use more of is the DEF, which is independent of how quickly the DPF fills up. It isn't 100% clear on this, but since FCA got his for excessive NoX emissions, whatever they do for the fix shoulnd't (theoretically) affect the DPF, since DPFs filter out the particulates and not the NoX. The Urea/DEF is what neutralizes the NoX in conjunction with an SCR. I used to be an engineer for diesel aftertreatment but it's been a few years so I'm going off my terrible memory :D
  3. You should be fine on your road trip, as the manual regens (from what the guys are saying above) are only necessary if you do a lot of short drives and you fill the DPF before it has ideal conditions to run automatic regens (like highway driving). In my case, I drive 35 miles each way to work and most of it is on 55 or 65 mph speed limit highways so I've never ran into any regen issues; in fact as I stated above I never knew it was running regens! So if you're on a long road trip, you should be fine for regens. Just make sure your DEF is topped off and you'll be good.
  4. Curious, what is the fuse box jump wire mod?
DCSport: There are 2 pins in the fuse box that if you pull out the relay and attach one of the pins with a wire and then touch the other pin the Jeep will start. Disconnect wire immediately. I would have to do this every time I turned off the vehicle if I got past the 200 mile to no start nonsense. EPA should be shot for doing that to us. Do a search on the RAM site for that emergence start procedure. If you can't find anything send me a PM and I will try to find it for you. Thanks for all the info above and hopefully piece of mind while I travel. It just startled me about some of the folks talking about the DPF being filled after the AEM. My Tech said mine was at 50% and he did a regen/per procedure of the AEM update and got it to 9%. Don't know why that would be part of the AEM procedure. Mike

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My Tech said mine was at 50% and he did a regen/per procedure of the AEM update and got it to 9%. Don't know why that would be part of the AEM procedure. Mike

The AEM overwrites the ECM tune so the tune has no idea what percentage the DPF is at. The tech runs a manual regen so the ECM will know to start with an empty DPF.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts