Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Long story, but because this is the first tuner with the ability to use an OBD Flash device, it requires them to build up a catalog of stock files. They just started using these a few months ago so they did not have one for the Jeep ecodiesel yet, only the Ram.

I am helping them get the file, They arranged for a diesel tuner about an hour from me to bench scan my ECU and send it up to them. Once they have my file, this will not be an issue for anyone else anymore.

I'll update again after it gets done.

Curious if they can clone a GDE ecm?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Long story, but because this is the first tuner with the ability to use an OBD Flash device, it requires them to build up a catalog of stock files. They just started using these a few months ago so they did not have one for the Jeep ecodiesel yet, only the Ram.

I am helping them get the file, They arranged for a diesel tuner about an hour from me to bench scan my ECU and send it up to them. Once they have my file, this will not be an issue for anyone else anymore.

Went yesterday to get a stock read of the ECM, the local tuner sent the file over to T&S Speed Shop/MRTune who sent the file over to alientech so they can update the compatibility on the powergate3+.

That was the step that was hanging me up so this will not be a problem for anyone else now that Alientech now has the stock file. I'll check back in after the tune is installed. Hopefully later today once he notifies me.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quick update - installed the tune, gonna put some miles on it before I give a ton of details but initial reaction is I am very very pleased. The flash tool is pretty slick and running silky smooth..

·
Registered
60 Posts
following. Had Green Diesel Engineering eco flashes on my 2006 Liberty CRDs. Been too chicken to do anything on my 2014 GC, but considering....

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I bit the bullet and ordered the Stage 1 - just have to wait for the unit to arrive now.

I will be installing this on a 2018, so will see how it goes. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lightspeed innovations is based out of red deer Alberta, they developed their own tunes and egr delete and def delete, they delete up 5 to 10 ecodiesels a week now since the new year. great guys, they have dyno'd and tested their deletes to get full potential out of it, base tune with egr and def delete adds 65whp and 120WTQ, view their Facebook page.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Lightspeed was my second choice, I went with MRTuner so I can update it myself. My logic was in case the dealer overwrote my tune, I could always put it back vs buying a 2nd ECM.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Hey any updates about the tune?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Originally I was unable to do the tune (Stage 1) as the base code on my 2018 HA was not yet dumped. However Chris at EcoDiesel Canada got me setup so a full read of my PCM could be dumped. Once they had that and Alientech updated the code I was off and running. Have been running their tune now for the last 4-5 months without any issues - I did return the PCM back to stock about 3 weeks ago for a dealer visit "just in case" and honestly I couldn't wait to put the tune back on as the stock driving experience sucked. Will be doing a Stage 2 and delete in the near future the closer I get to end of warranty. That being said, couldn't be happier.

I like that their tune pretty much is "fully loaded" vs others that charge extra for each "option" like high idle, engine braking, etc. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to 3.0 eco stuff and have less than 1500 km on the new to me 2016 Overland that came home in the first week of Feb '21. The (selling) FCA Jeep dealership fully informed me the W79 was pending due to parts availability. I had done some research as I need a tow vehicle, found this one and I rolled the dice. I know the short comings and available cures. It displayed 16.5 mpg after 1 1/4 tanks of fuel with the factory pixels within.
Like others, I too wanted control, so I pondered the SFT offerings.

W79 recall was performed yesterday at my nearest dealer, not the hour+ away selling one, so I dug out my magic wand and the factory pixels returned prior to me dropping it off there. Was running and shifting the same as when purchased....then I picked it up at about 430pm yesterday-
" Oh one more thing- the service tech noticed severe flareing between shifts, would you like us to diagnose the problem??"
I guess he was used to seeing a face of worry and dispair after uttering such news to others, but my response of "Really, I knew you'd try some shit like this" made him stop-his eyes grown wide - then "I've got a big new hammer and will adjust it when I get home" made him turn and run inside. Hey, he had quoted me $614 for a fuel filter service and $456 for differential lube service...and I wasn't going to get any lube....
And he was right, they messed up the trans calibration big time.

I just finished "waveing the magic wand" and driveability is back to "proper" once again. I love this GC, it accelerates hard and is displaying 20.6 mpgs, and this should further improve with the lightness I'll be adding soon.

It seems that tuner/vendors have retreated into the darkness after the EPA cracked a few well disserving arrogant skulls, and rightfully so on the "watch this" coal rollers This in turn affects us all so good or clear inerweb info is getting hard to find. Info is vague on who sells each other/same tunes, but I never called and spoke to anyone either.
I didn't get a warm feeling or timely service from vender but these are bizarre times.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anyone know if any of these CAN tuners can modify an existing GDE EPA tune? I’m not happy with it and would be interested in someone who might be able to offer what GDE did prior to EPA compliant tune, if able to do so without having to shell out full price for a new tune file

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know if any of these CAN tuners can modify an existing GDE EPA tune? I’m not happy with it and would be interested in someone who might be able to offer what GDE did prior to EPA compliant tune, if able to do so without having to shell out full price for a new tune file
JR Please tell us what part of the GDE tune you are not happy with. Did you get increased MPG?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Would you do the EPA tune if you had the choice now? I'm still running Pre-AEM GDE Hot Tune and love it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts