Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jeep WK2 Trailhawk - 5.7L V8
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a front camera that I’ve Found really helpful for tracking objects out of view and following spotter signals when they’re out of view.

I have a 2021 Trailhawk Hemi - this process works for 2016+ WK2’s, should work for 2014+ WK2’s, and will be identical for 2018+ WK2’s. The difference is in the subtle radio changes. Not going into excruciating detail here, but this should be a good guide.

The required three parts:
Tazer from zAuto ($249, I already had this): Tazer – Z Automotive

Video Cable from zAuto ($25): Video Input Cable – Z Automotive

Backup/Front Cam ($30): Amazon.com: Vehicle Backup Camera, COOLINT CT-106S Mini 360 Degree Rotatable Car Multifunction Backup Rear View Camera with Distance Guide Line Switcher : Electronics

Install:
  1. Activate Cargo Cam with Tazer: See instructions on their site. This can also be done with the apps JScan or Alpha OBD (which require an OBDII reader).
  2. Install Video Cable: Pop off controls frame (shown during a phone mount install here:
    ). Disconnect radio harness and install the video cable into pins 21 and 22 as shown in photos. NOT 24 and 25 like AUX1 is shown in zAutos instructions. Good demonstration here on a Challenger (radio/harness is almost identical):
  3. Install front camera. I mounted mine on the grill. Route wires, ground, and tap into power (I suggest a fuse tap into an accessory fuse - I tapped power from an existing fuse tap on accessory power, F91)

Other methods you could use are aftermarket cable harnesses instead of the tazer, but I’m not familiar with these, and the tazer gives you other WK2 features…
1. 2018 - 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2) Uconnect 8.4" (4) (4C) Nav In Motion Lockout Bypass + Front & Rear Camera Interface

2. Crux VRFCH-75L | Rear-view Integration and Front Camera input

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
164 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this! It's something I want to do when I get a spare few minutes. I knew it was possible but haven't had the chance yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you have to do the 'double tap' of the power button to activate it, or can you view it natively through the UI? I see in the image you posted it shows the cargo cam soft button - after programming for the cargo cam, do you get the option to swap between the two views when viewing the backup camera via interface?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have to do the 'double tap' of the power button to activate it, or can you view it natively through the UI? I see in the image you posted it shows the cargo cam soft button - after programming for the cargo cam, do you get the option to swap between the two views when viewing the backup camera via interface?
There’s a few ways to activate it. There’s a Uconnect app icon you can tap (like the backup cam), you can double tap the mute button, when the reverse cam is active you can tap the cargo cam, and it’ll also show up in the controls interface like the backup cam. Basically, the only way It doesn’t activate is automatically like the reverse cam, but there’s plenty of ways to turn it on otherwise.

·
Registered
2021 Grand Cherokee Overland
2 Posts
Isn’t the security module also required for the Taser to function?

Thanks for this write up! I have wanted a front cam for the trails.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn’t the security module also required for the Taser to function?

Thanks for this write up! I have wanted a front cam for the trails.
Yeah if you have a 2018+ you need the security bypass module. Super simple install on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2021 Grand Cherokee Overland
2 Posts
Yeah if you have a 2018+ you need the security bypass module. Super simple install on the passenger side.
Thanks.

I’m in a 2021 Overland that I’m working on getting set up for, well, overlanding and trails. Just took it out yesterday to River Rock OVA park (Milledgeville, GA) for the first time with my wife’s Rubicon. It was a blast and the WK2 did a fantastic job even with heavy washout on the trails. I need to add some armor and have put together a list of items already. Current project is trailer brake controller install. I just wish more products had reasonable ship times. I understand why as I manage a machine shop for production and have been dealing with it on that side of the fence as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the writeup!
A couple questions:
1) Does the cargo cam mod support two additional cameras? I see two cargo camera icons there. I'd like to tow a camper at some point and possibly hook in a camera for that as well.
2) How is the viewing angle in the grill? Are you able to get through most obstacles without a spotter? I also have a 2021 trailhawk and seeing over the hood is really difficult in this vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the writeup!
A couple questions:
1) Does the cargo cam mod support two additional cameras? I see two cargo camera icons there. I'd like to tow a camper at some point and possibly hook in a camera for that as well.
2) How is the viewing angle in the grill? Are you able to get through most obstacles without a spotter? I also have a 2021 trailhawk and seeing over the hood is really difficult in this vehicle.
1) The method I outlined only supports one additional input if you already have a backup cam. The two icons you see is for the backup cam and the front cam (what the system calls the cargo cam). You can add additional inputs if you use the additional cable harnesses I linked at the bottom though, but I’m not sure how those are activated in the radio.

2) The angle is pretty wide. I can’t find the exact degrees, but it’s wide enough that I can see objects from about a foot in front of each tire and just to the outside of them. I think I’d like it a little better if the camera was lower, close to the ACC radar, but I want to retain the ability to remove/install the lower fascia. I wouldn’t say this eliminates the need for a spotter because I still can’t see where exactly my tires are going to hit and when, but the camera DRASTICALLY helps if you don’t have one.

·
Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi & 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
142 Posts
Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread but is there a speed limit the cargo cam turns off at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
1) The method I outlined only supports one additional input if you already have a backup cam. The two icons you see is for the backup cam and the front cam (what the system calls the cargo cam). You can add additional inputs if you use the additional cable harnesses I linked at the bottom though, but I’m not sure how those are activated in the radio.

2) The angle is pretty wide. I can’t find the exact degrees, but it’s wide enough that I can see objects from about a foot in front of each tire and just to the outside of them. I think I’d like it a little better if the camera was lower, close to the ACC radar, but I want to retain the ability to remove/install the lower fascia. I wouldn’t say this eliminates the need for a spotter because I still can’t see where exactly my tires are going to hit and when, but the camera DRASTICALLY helps if you don’t have one.
Do you have to leave the Tazer plugged in for this to work? Wondering if I should go with Tazer, JScan or AlphaOBD.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have to leave the Tazer plugged in for this to work? Wondering if I should go with Tazer, JScan or AlphaOBD.
No, the tazer can be removed for this to work. Certain live functions for the tazer require it to be plugged in, but not the cargo cam.

I’d recommend JScan if this is all you want to do. It’s the cheapest solution, but you’ll need a OBD2 port reader for JScan or AlphaOBD to work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, the tazer can be removed for this to work. Certain live functions for the tazer require it to be plugged in, but not the cargo cam.

I’d recommend JScan if this is all you want to do. It’s the cheapest solution, but you’ll need a OBD2 port reader for JScan or AlphaOBD to work.
Got it. Where did you come through the Firewall with your input cable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
A rubber gusset on the passenger side. Here’s a view from the cabin side (left) and engine bay (right). It’s a flexible rubber material that I used a coat hanger to push through.
View attachment 237025
A rubber gusset on the passenger side. Here’s a view from the cabin side (left) and engine bay (right). It’s a flexible rubber material that I used a coat hanger to push through.
View attachment 237025
Awesome thank u.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts