Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else out there solved suspension clunks with the OME lift? My 2011 WK2 has 70k miles (only 5k with the lift and 33" tires). I've tightened all control arm bolts, greased all fittings, and had the shop check it out too with no avail.

Its very intermittent and doesn't seem to have any influence from temperature, size of bump, steering, or any other input I can find.

My sway bar bushings look a little gross, but I'm not sure if thats the exact issue. A couple of questions:

1. When should the sway bar be replaced? I know the bushings are molded into the bar itself, so no easy way out there without a full swap
2. Is there anything I could be missing here? I've checked and rechecked every torque-able bolt....

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
264 Posts
Sway bar shouldn't cause too much of an issue at your mileage especially a clunking noise. In all honesty it's one of the few suspension parts that stands the test of time as it doesn't carry much load. Does the clunking happen in a straight line, while turning, or both?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,270 Posts
I'd start with swaybar frame mounts. You've move the normal riding position of the sway bar and it's possible that's loosened the rubber. They're cheap and easy to replace. I have the same issue on my Wrangler. You may notice that it's more pronounced on off camber bumpers when the sway bar has a load and then is released? After that I would move on to sway bar links.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The 'clunk' I had with my WK2 after being lifted ended up being the sway bar link. Seems to be a common failure on lifted WK2s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sway bar shouldn't cause too much of an issue at your mileage especially a clunking noise. In all honesty it's one of the few suspension parts that stands the test of time as it doesn't carry much load. Does the clunking happen in a straight line, while turning, or both?
@bgmtnclmbr, I developed the same issue on my 2013 WK2 after OME install! Glad to know I'm not alone.

@MDK210, I'm only getting it during low-speed turns. Maybe a popping sound here or there in a straight line over bumps, but it's really noticeable during turns.

Work will be pretty quiet soon so I plan to jack up the GC and pop the wheels off and see what's going on. Do you folks thinks it worth it replace every bit of sway/stabilizer while I'm down there (bar, bushings, links)?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced my front sway bar links. Clunk is still there. After spending some time feeling around under the hood and searching the web, I found this

I have seen ZERO details on the WK2, and the E20, and 17mm socket claimed in similar threads do not seem to apply to my Steering rack yoke adjustment. It appears to be a 24mm allen (I had to make a best guess here based on a piss poor caliper measurement due to accessability), which of course is a tool not carried anywhere, so I'll have to a wait a few days for mine to arrive from Amazon.

I tried to snap some photos of the yoke adjustment, but it was tough to get a good photo. The second photo has the adjustment socket on the bottom right of the image. I guess I could have removed all my skid plates, but that sounded like too much work until the tool arrives.
IMG_20191215_144649.jpg
IMG_20191215_144927.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quick update. I tried the steering yoke adjustment. No luck. Just made the steering feel like garbage, so I immediately set back to the original tension. I've got some replacement sway bar bushings in the mail to replace this weekend, and am going to double check the ball joints from my RRO control arms today.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've checked lower and upper ball joints on the front end. Everything was rock solid. Soliciting some advice from a buddy with a JK, he said to check the lower control arm bushings. He was spot on. They have a lot of play in them when I levered them with a pry bar. They're also visually dry and cracked and a piece of rubber actually fell out into my hands when probing them with the pry bar.

Moog makes some replacements, but my question is if anyone has ever replaced the lower control arm bushings successfully on the wk2 for the aft side of the control arm?

Getting Moog replacements is ~90 for left and right sides on Amazon, and I'm going to check with some shops to see if this is possible before replacing the OEM assembly from Mopar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts