Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Front skid plate for WK2?

34K views 75 replies 23 participants last post by  jeepwoody 
#1 ·
Hey all.

Just wondering if anyone knows if someone makes a metal replacement skid plate for the WK2 that can replace the plastic piece shown.

I have all the Mopar plates but this would run from the underside of the bumper to the first factory plate.

Cheers,

Clarkey.

See less See more
#2 ·
There'd be more informed people out there who have had the front off, but I don't think there is anything of substance to connect the top of the plate you propose to... The ECB bar adds one but its attached to the bar itself.

#4 ·
It's a shame because it's a real point of weakness. That same plastic piece got split in 2 places and pushed upwards several inches on my GC going through some deep ruts on Fraser. Also vulnerable was the centre mount radar detector for adaptive cruise. It was also knocked from it's mounting brackets, probably because of the plastic plate being attached to the bottom of the bumper, which would have copped some of the upward force from the impact. My dealer quoted $6k to fix the ACC radar, what a joke.

#8 ·
Thanks Savvas.
I did speak to one other GC owner who had similar issue and was quoted similar price, and reckons they pulled off the front bumper and re-aligned the sensor in it's mounting bracket and it still worked. So I was thinking of mustering up the courage to try that first, but will definitely try the insurance option if all else fails. I checked up online with my insurer and it looks like they cover damage while off road... Thanks again.:thumbsup:

#9 ·
We are all desperately waiting for a solution to this major weakness. I'm hoping that if and when an ARB bull-bar comes out, it will address this issue.

#10 ·
I am also interested in a solution to this. Also wondering what people have done with the one between the 'engine' and the transfer skid plates? I have left this on when I put on the factory skid plates but I was thinking of removing it. Interested to hear what other have done or think.

#15 ·
Hey all.

I have fashioned a replacement for the front piece I've mentioned previously out of fiberglass. Although it's not ideal, at least it's stronger than the cardboard original.

It will just have to do until I can find a cheaper metal alternative here.

Cheers,

Clarkey.

#16 ·
Very clever.

I assume you used the cardboard piece as a mould?

#20 ·
ASFIR does make some all aluminum skid plates for 2011+ WK2's

http://www.urbanoffroad.us/index.php...id-plates.html

These plates are very expensive but many of the guys with WK's have used them.
They make a replacement aluminum skid for the plastic belly pan and the engine skid plate, the plastic transmission plate and the transfer case. No gas tank skids though.

These skids are available individually, just look around at the Urban Offroad webpage. ASFIR has it's own webpage http://asfir4x4.com/catalog-jeep, prices are similar.

#21 ·
#22 ·
I have made a template for a steel replacement and will transfer it to 3mm steel plate on the weekend, once I am happy with the fit I will look at upgrading the attachment points. I will make sure to post pics on the weekend. If it all works I will be able to have the parts laser cut and folded as I am also creating a CAD file. Once you see the pics let me know if there is any interest and I will work out a piece price.

Cheers

#28 ·
All seems good as far as fitment, I will drive it this week and make sure there are no issues. Attachment points will need upgrading and counter sunk bolts on the crossmember to stop anything from snagging. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Attachments

Reactions: Kev.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.