Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been awhile since I been on here, just been so busy at work it's been hard to get to the computer lately. My daughter's 2000 Jeep grand cherokee has about 250,000 miles on it now or maybe it's 240,000 but I rebuilt the 4.0 engine at 195,000 so the engine is all in pretty good running order. I replaced the crankshaft sensor back around december since she lives about 5 hours away and I was afraid it might go bad and it would die so far from home.

She complained a few weeks back that it was having to spin over more than usual before it would start and it was after it sat several hours so I figured the fuel filter/regulator may be going bad and it has been a few years since I replaced it so the next time she came home with the jeep I had all the parts together to do some work on it.

The passenger side door lock actuator was bad, it had a blown bulb in the headlight, it needed an oil change and a fuel filter. It was kinda a cool crappy/rainy day and I had a pretty bad migrane but they were heading back in a few hours so I had to get some work done on it.

Got the door lock/latch replaced and to my surprise that door panel had never been off, changed the oil and filter and put a bulb in for the headlight. I took a break to take some medicine to see if the headache would ease up before I crawled under the jeep and swapped out the filter.

Got the old one off and got the new one back on and if anybody is familiar with these filters the little plastic retaining clips are a little bit tricky it seems but I thought I had the lines all locked on there good but I was wrong.

Thursday she called and said it was dead on the side of the road and that they were getting it hauled back to their apartment. I figured it had a bad fuel pump just by what she described so I bought a fuel pump and another fuel filter just in case something may have happened to the one I had put on it a few weeks earlier. Gathered up a pile of tool's and other stuff in case the tank had to be dropped and headed to kentucky from georgia.

5 hours to get there and I slid under it and the line on the engine side of the fuel filter had just came off the filter. I wasn't sure when I put it on that it locked in properly but it seemed like it was on there and it actually too it 3 weeks to pop off. The clip doesn't just lock in easily and this time I sprayed the inside of the line with WD 40 and actually had to take a flat blade screwdriver and pry the clip into the line to make sure it locked in properly.

I'm just glad that was all that was wrong with it instead of it having a bad fuel pump. i checked the fuel pressure and it was right at 60psi so that seemed fine. I drove it around and all seemed to be well once again.

So if you ever decide to replace your fuel filter just take an extra minute to make sure the fuel lines are clipped in good just to save yourself future trouble.....

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,624 Posts
If you ever have to replace the fuel pump.

And she's rusty and crusty under there bolts etc

Cut a hole in the spare tire well and change it out in 30 mins or less.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's some pretty good advice Jeepyard! The 'click' that announces the fitting is 'home' can be elusive and the 'key' to the procedure is the visual exam that will show the clip 'ears' have pushed past the ridge on the fuel filter line. Give them both a solid pull to check for secure and all should be fine.

That said, ~ 7 years after the 2d most recent fuel pump was replaced in my JGC, the tank to FI line came off. I'd bounced over some flat cardboard on the highway earlier in the day that came out like a Frisbee but think it 'may' have somehow found the connections as you describe. Or, the line just came off on it sown-- will never know.

The rig died at the light surrounded by heavy traffic on all sides. Luckily, it was a long descent towards the bay and with flashers on and no PS/PB, I muscled the Jeep, and some of the less than sympathetic drivers, who did not appreciate my urgent need to move three lanes left using gravity propulsion only. I was able to catch the curb cut for the pedestrians and then stopped in the grass adjacent to the highway. The tell was all the fuel dripping everywhere. The top of the tank and FF is visible from the LR wheel but I grabbed my Mag- Lite and rolled under after tucking my tie into my Van Huesen shirt ( was still on the job). I was both astonished and relieved to observe the fitting had come free and with just one hand, was able to click it back into place. Note: that pump finally let go just 6 months ago and the new one came with a new clip but I elected to NOT reuse the old clip on the return line. Dropped into the local dealer and they had one on the shelf. I did fab a cable tie reinforcement for both clips that keep the lines snug to the FF lines--just in case! It's not the most confidence-inspiring way to join the lines and some have replaced with broad fuel injection clamps (worm gear not strong enough) in the severe off road conditions--something to think about 'next' time. Great (Jeep) story, Sir! Reflects the commitment of all those here to 'get her going' and there's nothing like a rescue requirement to heighten the urgency!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's crazy that a piece of cardboard jumped up in there and knocked the fuel line off like that, you have my kind of luck. I actually pulled on that line and it must have been on there pretty good because it wouldn't pull back off but time and a few bumps in the road got it I guess. I am pretty picky about my jeeps and if I have to drive 5 hours away to see about it then that's what it's going to be and it's my baby girl which is that much more important to get her back up and going if possible. I may go ahead and swap the fuel pump out this summer since I bought a new one but the one in there maybe better than the one I am putting in there so i'm kinda torn there. I was just glad that it wasn't too hard to fix since I'd rather do a big job at my shop than in a parking lot. Once I took my screwdriver and clicked that clip into place I knew the clips were in there good I was glad to hear it fire up and run like normal!!! Glad you were able to get your going pretty easily too, sucks being on the side of the road but we have all been there.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts