Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fuel leaking from the top of my fuel tank and dripping on the floor in my garage! Last weekend I filled the tank and drove it about 15 miles and parked it back in my garage. I noticed a gas smell the last few days and to my surprise I looked under the TH and have a small puddle of gas. WTF. It hasn't been started since last Sunday. Any thought on what it could be? I guess I'll jack it up tomorrow and see if I can find anything. My dealer is about 85 miles away and don't care to drive it. There is a couple of local dealers but it WILL NOT go to them.

·
Premium Member
2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6L
767 Posts
Hopefully it's only a mating surface's from one of the components that form part of the fuel tank system such as, the main fuel pump module, auxiliary fuel pump module, the ORVR (Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery) control valve, or the fuel tank pressure sensor that needs a little re-torque.
Just be careful as the system can still be under pressure even with the engine off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is at the tank, the recall has to do with the jumper tube under the hood.

I removed the skid plate on the drivers side and dropped the tank down a little so that I could get a mirror in there to see on top of the tank. It appears to be coming from around the ring around the fuel pump. I cranked it up and let it run for 5 minutes and couldn't see anything. I wiped everything down good and put it all back together. I felt pretty comfortable to drive it to the dealership. Funny thing is after I grabbed some lunch before leaving I went back out to the garage and it was leaking again. I went ahead and drove it to the dealership and dropped it off. We will see Monday I guess. You guys may want to check yours, better be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my dealer just called, I have a crack in the fuel pump! Mopar is saying 3-5 days for the pump, so maybe I'll have it back the weekend. It stays in the garage during the week anyway so no big deal.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
Well my dealer just called, I have a crack in the fuel pump! Mopar is saying 3-5 days for the pump, so maybe I'll have it back the weekend. It stays in the garage during the week anyway so no big deal.
Doubt if you could fix that with an old trick.
If you have a small bar of Ivory soap, you can usually fix SMALL gas leaks by rubbing the soap onto the leaky area and get to a repair place before it rains.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So hats off to Neuwirth Motors they got it in Monday and found the problem, got a new fuel pump in Tuesday and had it back together for me by lunch. Excellent service with these guys. Everything seems to be good to go now.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
149 Posts
Twice now in my TH I've gotten a strong gasoline smell. Hope I don't have a problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts