Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so I have a gas can that we hook up to the boat motor when we go across the lake to the campsite.

I have been transporting it in the back of the car (2019 Trailhawk) inside a plastic garbage bag, but it still smells.

Any suggestions on other transport methods?

Roof rack? (don't have one yet, I only have the factory rails. I've been researching crossbars and a roof rack...)

Or any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L Hemi
129 Posts
Hi guys, so I have a gas can that we hook up to the boat motor when we go across the lake to the campsite.

I have been transporting it in the back of the car (2019 Trailhawk) inside a plastic garbage bag, but it still smells.

Any suggestions on other transport methods?

Roof rack? (don't have one yet, I only have the factory rails. I've been researching crossbars and a roof rack...)

Or any other ideas?

Thanks
Hitch mount.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
524 Posts

I use these style cans and have many times had them in the cargo area of my JKs and WK2s. I have never had one leak and there is no odor at all. Cheaper then a roof rack.

Reactions: NinjaGrunt

·
Super Moderator
8,807 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I used to transport gas cans in my old Ford Ranger pickup.
Since i sold it it years ago i used this from HF tools:

Just make sure the gas cans are secured tight with bunge cords.

Reactions: ColoCoug

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
...and don't get rear-ended...
Yeah that would ruin one's day.

I see Jeeps all the time with jerry cans fastened to the spare tire carrier albeit probably a little more safer being higher than a hitch carrier.

Hopefully the sight of gas cans would make any behind driver be on their best alert behavior.

I used that hitch carrier only for buying gas for my tractors, ATV, chain saw, weed wacker and snow blower.
About 15 miles round trip from the nearest gas station to home.
Since i bought my F150, that hitch carrier is probably now a spider hotel buried somewhere in the barn. lol

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,481 Posts
If you put gas cans over the roof, you may have paint problems on the roof.....
If you go the route of a roof basket, maybe get a plastic tray to put the gas can on....

Hopefully the sight of gas cans would make any behind driver be on their best alert behavior.
Come now, you've seen the drivers we have on the road today, :LOL: he'd be lucky if 10% of drivers are thinking enough about their driving to realize gas cans between our bumpers, maybe we should give him some more room.........

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Come now, life or death in general is a gamble every time we leave our house and get into our vehicles or not whether its getting rear ended, hit by a car while walking along the road, getting broad sided by a driver who blew a stop sign, etc.
A few years ago i witnessed a female driver ahead of me lose control of her care then swerve off the road and end up upside down in a large roadside ditch. Yep made 911 call.

I myself would not use the hitch carrier to carry gas cans for a long cross country trip.
However it has worked well for filling my 5 gal fuel containers in the past for my tractors and such.

Reactions: Mongo53

·
Super Moderator
8,807 Posts
I myself would not use the hitch carrier to carry gas cans for a long cross country trip.
However it has worked well for filling my 5 gal fuel containers in the past for my tractors and such.
I agree. Local utility to obtain fuel, the hitch carrier is nice, especially for multiple containers of diesel and gasoline. Even a well sealed container is going to have some fumes come off of it in my experience so outside of the vehicle is nice when you can accommodate it. While I never put anything...literally...on a roof rack...I sure wouldn't carry a typical fuel container up there even if I did use the roof rack. For something like overlanding, a jerry can on a hitch mounted carrier works fine, too, and the heavy fuel is more accessible.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hitch carrier no question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts