Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this problem?
The gas cap on my 2011 Overland is locking after the unbutton is released. To repeat: I push the release button on the dash, it opens. Let go of said button and it re-locks. Since my arms aren’t long enough to leverage the cap while it’s briefly in the open position, I need to enlist a fellow traveler to hold the button while I grab the cap, or vice-versa. Inconvenient, to say the least. Up till now it worked after a few attempts but it’s only getting worse. Problem is that I usually forget about it until I’m filling up. Anyone experience this or have any idea what it takes to fix? I realize it’s likely a relay switch or something like that, but I fear it’s located somewhere that requires dismounting the transmission to access. (As the owner of German cars, I’m only slightly bombastic.) Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't see how it can re-lock itself unless the 2011 has some kind of fuel cap locking system.
On my '18, pushing the fuel cap release button pops open the filler cap which has to be closed manually when done fueling.

It could be the filler cap hinges are sticking or something is all i can think of without being there.
Once the cap is opened, give those hinges and any other moving parts a few squirts of WD-40 and see if it helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts