Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just picked up a 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Saturday. I cannot get my gas mileage to anything better than 14-15 MPG.

I have tried the ECO mode and it's still terrible mileage. If I don't apply my foot to the gas taking off, I'm sure I can get it up a mile or two. But why have a vehicle you can step on the gas with? I find when I try to get better mileage, I have people riding my bumper.

I was told in the dealership it gets 18 city, average city and highway about 21, 22. This cannot be right.

I noticed my tire pressure reads 40+ in all four tires. Could that be why? I am going to be filling up the tank every other day at this rate. A six-cylinder should not be sucking the gas down like this is.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. :confused:

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find that with all my vehicles, using 93 octane gas gets me better mpg's and more miles to a tank.
Hey, Lowrider.

Thanks for the reply. Even though they say regular gas, it's okay to put in the 93? If, so I'll try it. But the question in my mind is how much better it gets.

I don't know why they said 18 and I'm not even close.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2000 lifted Grand Cherokee with the v8 and mud tires got 15.7 mpg with el cheapo gas and when I put 93 in I now get 19.2 mpg. I forget how many miles extra I get per tank too but it's worth the money spent on the more expensive gas. That's a mix of city, highway and off road. I know when my Dakota was brand new, it got horrible mpg's. After like 2,000 miles I was getting better mpg's then when it was new too.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2000 lifted Grand Cherokee with the v8 and mud tires got 15.7 mpg with el cheapo gas and when I put 93 in I now get 19.2 mpg. I forget how many miles extra I get per tank too but it's worth the money spent on the more expensive gas. That's a mix of city, highway and off road. I know when my Dakota was brand new, it got horrible mpg's. After like 2,000 miles I was getting better mpg's then when it was new too.
Maybe it has to break in? For my six-cylinder to get less than your eight is not good. Hopefully, it's just the engine breaking in. Thank you for that thougoht.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe it has to break in? For my six-cylinder to get less than your eight is not good. Hopefully, it's just the engine breaking in. Thank you for that thougoht.
Definitely a break in thing. After your first oil change, synthetic is best, you should be doing better.

Also if you are just looking the MPG gauge, it is not that accurate yet. It may take a few tanks to figure itself out and even so, there's no replacement for filling up, recording miles and then filling again and doing the math.

40 psi is high in the tires, but that wouldn't hurt the mileage.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
124 Posts
Where do you live? Driving habits? I get 14mpg on my 2018 V6 because I'm either stuck at a light or stuck in parking lot traffic 90% of the time.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely a break in thing. After your first oil change, synthetic is best, you should be doing better.

Also if you are just looking the MPG gauge, it is not that accurate yet. It may take a few tanks to figure itself out and even so, there's no replacement for filling up, recording miles and then filling again and doing the math.

40 psi is high in the tires, but that wouldn't hurt the mileage.
Hi, Mike.

I was just in the vehicle and noticed there are two screens in the dash (not the touchscreen) that show MPG. One is the one with the blue and light green arcs that show if you're saving gas according to how you're driving. That shows 12 and change!! The other screen shows the odometer, then the MPG, and a timer (don't know what that is for) which is showing 14 and change. Both are different.

When I had it on the screen that shows you realtime, the one with the arcs, it was showing if my foot was at all even slightly on the gas, I was only getting 5-9 MPG. WTF?

And the tires are, at the lowest psi, 41. What do I need to have them set for? I am going to have to let some air out for sure.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, Mike.

I was just in the vehicle and noticed there are two screens in the dash (not the touchscreen) that show MPG. One is the one with the blue and light green arcs that show if you're saving gas according to how you're driving. That shows 12 and change!! The other screen shows the odometer, then the MPG, and a timer (don't know what that is for) which is showing 14 and change. Both are different.

When I had it on the screen that shows you realtime, the one with the arcs, it was showing if my foot was at all even slightly on the gas, I was only getting 5-9 MPG. WTF?

And the tires are, at the lowest psi, 41. What do I need to have them set for? I am going to have to let some air out for sure.

Thanks for your help.
I forgot to say before, congrats on your new Jeep. I would get a few tanks of gas through it before trying analyze the readings.

There is a sticker in the drivers door jamb with tire info. Mine says 33 psi front 36 psi rear.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I would definitely take some pressure out of the tires. I know my '18 mileage does change with different pressures. 41psi sound high and probably the shipping pressure. I get around 20mpg city with about 33-34psi Front and a pound or two for the rear tires. If anything, you might feel a more compliant ride.

For the MPG meters, reset them (you have both a Trip A and Trip B average). Reset each by going to the each Trip screen, and pressing and holding the OK button. Do this for your next fill-up. I reset the Trip A every fill-up, and let the Trip B keep a cumulative tally (this is what displays as the average mpg).

You should be getting at least 18mpg even while breaking in the car.

cam

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Hi, Mike.

Thanks for your help.
When you step on the gas pedal even moderately, the real time mpg will always take a nose dive.
The harder the pedal is pressed it'll take an even bigger nose dive.
I'd disregard the real time mpg readout and instead concentrate on the average mpg reading on the lie-o-meter.

You might also want to verify the lie-o-meter avg. reading with your own manual mpg calculation.

Far as tire pressure, they seem higher than recommended but check the tire inflation data on the driver's side door or door jam.
Having said that a higher tire pressure than recommended will give better mpg but a bumpier ride and possibly premature tire wear.
In other wordes, 41 psi tire pressure is not your mpg issue.

Reactions: 68Hawk

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to say before, congrats on your new Jeep. I would get a few tanks of gas through it before trying analyze the readings.

There is a sticker in the drivers door jamb with tire info. Mine says 33 psi front 36 psi rear.
Thanks for talking me off the ledge, or at least heading in the direction thereof.

Awesome. I will look in the door panel tomorrow and let a little out at a time.

My daughter has a 2019 Compass, and she said her MPG went from 12 to 21. She has 5k on hers now. I just asked her.

I appreciate all your help. And thanks for the congratulations. This is so different than my BMW X5, but I like this SO MUCH MORE.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
Hi, Mike.

Thanks for your help.
When you reset the A and B odometers that resets the average MPG display for each of them. The fancy green arc display shows both instantaneous and average mpg and is completely seperate tracking from the A and B odos. If you hold the OK button while that green arc display is showing it will reset ONLY that display .. it won't reset either of the A or B odometer or their mpg readings.

I use the B odometer to track each tank of gas and reset it at each fill up. I put up the green arc display and use it to track individual trips or even little short stretches of a trip.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I also have been really disappointed by the mileage I'm getting with my 2018 3.6L ORA-II 4x4 with the Goodyear Kevlars. It's got 14k miles on it now, and I don't think I've ever exceeded 20mpg on a mostly-highway tank (in a year and a half I've still never done a single long-trip, no-stops all-highway tank), and on the very worst all short-hop stop-and-go (which is most of what it sees) it can drop as low as 14 or worse. This is as measured at the pump using Fuelly.

When I was running 34psi it was even worse, slightly better since I went to 36-37 cold on all four corners.

I think (hope) it's worse on winter gas, but still, very disappointing. I asked about it at the dealer, and they said there's nothing even to check.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you reset the A and B odometers that resets the average MPG display for each of them. The fancy green arc display shows both instantaneous and average mpg and is completely seperate tracking from the A and B odos. If you hold the OK button while that green arc display is showing it will reset ONLY that display .. it won't reset either of the A or B odometer or their mpg readings.

I use the B odometer to track each tank of gas and reset it at each fill up. I put up the green arc display and use it to track individual trips or even little short stretches of a trip.
Hi, Jim.

I don't understand what an A or B odometer is. If you could explain that, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, Jim.

I don't understand what an A or B odometer is. If you could explain that, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for your reply.
Like all cars, you have both an odometer that tracks total miles since the vehicle was built and a trip odometer which the driver can reset to track whatever they want (such as a trip). Except that in this case you have two trip meters labeled A and B that run independently. You can use them for different purposes... for example, I track mileage between fill-ups on trip A and mileage between oil changes on trip B. Or, on a trip, you can track daily driving on A and overall trip on B. They're accessed and reset using the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like all cars, you have both an odometer that tracks total miles since the vehicle was built and a trip odometer which the driver can reset to track whatever they want (such as a trip). Except that in this case you have two trip meters labeled A and B that run independently. You can use them for different purposes... for example, I track mileage between fill-ups on trip A and mileage between oil changes on trip B. Or, on a trip, you can track daily driving on A and overall trip on B. They're accessed and reset using the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel.
I am going to take some pics later to post. I know I have one that has three readings vertically, the top being how many miles there are on the vehicle, the second being MPG, and the third is some type of timer. I don't understand what it does. I don't know if you are calling that one A or B.

Then I have another one, the one with the light green and blue arcs. I believe that gives me realtime readings. Its MPG does not comport with my other one's MPG. One says 12 while the other says 14.7.

I don't know which one is accurate, but they both can be reset according to what it says, pushing OK in the middle of that instrument cluster on the left of the steering wheel.

All I know is my mileage is horrible, and I pray it gets better with the engine broken in. My salesman wrote back to me and said it takes a good 2k in miles to break it in and see improvement but this is really bad. This reminds me of back in the day when I had an 8-cylinder engine -- it's sucking down gas. And I am using the ECO mode since I can't see much of a difference with it on or off, so might as well err on the side of possibly better mileage. Although if this is possibly better mileage, I'm dead in the water.

Thanks for trying to help me figure this out.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts