Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
You can turn ECO off. Most of us think we actually get very slightly better mileage with it off, certainly no worse, and the driveability is a bit better with it off (although a few like it on, different strokes).

·
Registered
2018 GC Limited 4x4
49 Posts
Time to take a deep breath.
Your gas mileage will improve as the engine breaks in.
On your steering wheel to the left are 4 arrows and an ok button.
These control your display screen messages.
While parked with the engine running, press the up button.
First is stop/start then press again to get into the trip info.
There are 2 screens of this showing different info.
Each one has an A and B. Like if you want to track this tank of gas info and maybe overall info. You would clear A at each fill up and never clear B.
If you press the up arrow again, you get different info such as tire pressure. Use the left and right arrows to find oil life monitor, tranny temp etc.

Don't get hung up on the instantaneous info.
Download and look over the full owners manual.
I think my tire pressure that's on the door sticker is 36 psi front and back.
Some one probably overfilled yours at the dealer.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am going to take some pics later to post. I know I have one that has three readings vertically, the top being how many miles there are on the vehicle, the second being MPG, and the third is some type of timer. I don't understand what it does. I don't know if you are calling that one A or B.
None of those are the trip meters. As MarkDNC mentioned, the trip meters are on a different screen of the instrument panel display. You get to it by using the up and down arrows on the left of the steering wheel. It's a circular menu in that if you keep going up or down from one screen, you'll cycle through all the available screens and end up back where you started.

The trip meters are not directly related to gas mileage - they're just counters to keep track of miles driven since the last reset.

The timer is just another counter which most people will never use. It can be reset just like the trip meters. You can use it to keep track of how long you've been on the road while traveling. I know of some people who base their oil change intervals on engine run time rather than miles driven (like you would do with a boat or generator). I don't know why that would be helpful but everyone has their own ideas about oil change intervals (start a thread about oil change intervals and you will be amazed at how many different answers you'll get).

The only way to find out which (if any) fuel mileage indicators is accurate is to fill up the tank, record the number of miles you drive, then fill up again (preferably at the same pump) and calculate miles traveled divided by gallons used. You'll generally find that none of the dash mileage indicators is particularly accurate... they're really just to give you a general idea of your fuel efficiency.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
The only way to find out which (if any) fuel mileage indicators is accurate is to fill up the tank, record the number of miles you drive, then fill up again (preferably at the same pump) and calculate miles traveled divided by gallons used. ...
...or use the Fuelly app to do that with just a wee bit more convenience.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Time to take a deep breath.
Your gas mileage will improve as the engine breaks in.
On your steering wheel to the left are 4 arrows and an ok button.
These control your display screen messages.
While parked with the engine running, press the up button.
First is stop/start then press again to get into the trip info.
There are 2 screens of this showing different info.
Each one has an A and B. Like if you want to track this tank of gas info and maybe overall info. You would clear A at each fill up and never clear B.
If you press the up arrow again, you get different info such as tire pressure. Use the left and right arrows to find oil life monitor, tranny temp etc.

Don't get hung up on the instantaneous info.
Download and look over the full owners manual.
I think my tire pressure that's on the door sticker is 36 psi front and back.
Some one probably overfilled yours at the dealer.
Hey Mark,

I do know about those screens, as I wrote in a couple of my posts above. And I was told by my salesman that once I hit around 2k miles, it should be broken in and get better mileage. But who believes salesmen? :D

I did download the manual the first night, but there is a lot to cover. I figured out how to do all my settings and then some, but you never know what to believe with the mileage. And then I had a friend tell me she rented this vehicle and for the week, every two days she would fill the tank for what would normally last four to five days. Her statement was, "I hope you didn't get stuck with one like that." I know, some friend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited 4x4 with 3k miles on it now. I was concerned about what my mileage would be but I ended up pleasantly surprised. I live where there are lots of open roads and city driving is usually flowing OK. Hwy limit is 75mph. I don't know where the OP lives and his conditions. I've been getting 23.5 average combined, hand calculated. Started off at about 23 mpg and now tickles 24 mpg average. The vehicle mileage indicator shows about .5 more generous then actual which is not too far off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had my 2015 6 cylinder limited since new. It has always gotten 18 to 23.5 mpg. Take sure to document your discussion with the dealer so that after 2k,if mileage is not better, you can hold them to fixing it.

I get 13 mpg when I am towing my 4500 point travel trailer. Not a leadfoot, but not a pokey either.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
When you step on the gas pedal even moderately, the real time mpg will always take a nose dive.
The harder the pedal is pressed it'll take an even bigger nose dive.
I'd disregard the real time mpg readout and instead concentrate on the average mpg reading on the lie-o-meter.

You might also want to verify the lie-o-meter avg. reading with your own manual mpg calculation.

Far as tire pressure, they seem higher than recommended but check the tire inflation data on the driver's side door or door jam.
Having said that a higher tire pressure than recommended will give better mpg but a bumpier ride and possibly premature tire wear.
In other wordes, 41 psi tire pressure is not your mpg issue.
Thanks for the reply. I drove my GC from Long Island into NYC yesterday and back, and then the day before I drove from my home on LI to Westhampton Beach and back. My mileage went up to 18 mpg HIGHWAY. Not good. That's what I was told would be for city.

I am hoping as the engine breaks in, the mpg will improve. I am tempted to spend some money on the 93 octane to see if it would make a difference at this point. It's seriously sucking down some serious gas. At this rate, if the engine breaking in doesn't change things, I'm looking at a huge bill in gas alone every month.

I have to admit I am disappointed. I could live with 18 city, but not with 15 or 16. I had cars back in the day that were 8-cylinder that did that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New engines are "tight" literally which consumes more fuel to run. After the break-in period, 5 -6000 miles the engine will loosen up. Also, worst mileage occurs in the winter months, mostly from short trips and the engine doesn't get fully warmed up. My Jeep gets about 14 strictly city, not going over 30 mph and lots of stop lights. On a highway trip it jumps to 22 or better.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
New engines are "tight" literally which consumes more fuel to run. After the break-in period, 5 -6000 miles the engine will loosen up. Also, worst mileage occurs in the winter months, mostly from short trips and the engine doesn't get fully warmed up. My Jeep gets about 14 strictly city, not going over 30 mph and lots of stop lights. On a highway trip it jumps to 22 or better.
Have you experienced the improvement with a broken-in engine? This is the first new vehicle I've had in a long time. I usually buy a vehicle a year or two old and finance it. I don't remember having this problem with the last new one I bought, but that was probably back in the '90s. :)

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
606 Posts
The V6 is rated 18 city, 25 Hwy, and 21 combined, My commute is 30 miles round trip with pretty much exactly half city 25 MPH, traffic lights every block, and 65 MPH hwy. Even with the start/stop I only usually averaged 17-18 MPG. On the hwy I usually averaged 19-20 MPG. I had that MY17 WK2 for about 22k miles. My new MY18 V8 in the same conditions over the just over 7K miles I have on it so far are about 16-17 MPG city and 20-21 MPG hwy. I tried all different fuels and octane from 85-91 in the V6 just seeing if something would make a difference even tried the 88 Octane E-0 I can get. Pretty much no difference. I run the 88 E-0 or the standard 10% ethanol 87-89 Mid grade fuel usually in the V8. If I run 85 which is regular unleaded here in Salt Lake I don't feel much difference but I usually see about .5 to .75 MPG less. I know .5 to .75 MPG is hard to claim but its pretty standard tank to tank. All my calculations are based on actual hand calculations. I originally got the V6 because I thought I'd get 20-21 ish in my daily commute....especially with the start/stop. If I had known the V8 and V6 MPG was so close i would have just gotten the V8 to start with. Those are my experiences, YMMV.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The V6 is rated 18 city, 25 Hwy, and 21 combined, My commute is 30 miles round trip with pretty much exactly half city 25 MPH, traffic lights every block, and 65 MPH hwy. Even with the start/stop I only usually averaged 17-18 MPG. On the hwy I usually averaged 19-20 MPG. I had that MY17 WK2 for about 22k miles. My new MY18 V8 in the same conditions over the just over 7K miles I have on it so far are about 16-17 MPG city and 20-21 MPG hwy. I tried all different fuels and octane from 85-91 in the V6 just seeing if something would make a difference even tried the 88 Octane E-0 I can get. Pretty much no difference. I run the 88 E-0 or the standard 10% ethanol 87-89 Mid grade fuel usually in the V8. If I run 85 which is regular unleaded here in Salt Lake I don't feel much difference but I usually see about .5 to .75 MPG less. I know .5 to .75 MPG is hard to claim but its pretty standard tank to tank. All my calculations are based on actual hand calculations. I originally got the V6 because I thought I'd get 20-21 ish in my daily commute....especially with the start/stop. If I had known the V8 and V6 MPG was so close i would have just gotten the V8 to start with. Those are my experiences, YMMV.
So there's really not much to look forward to in the way of improvement, at least in your experience.

My daughter did get the '19 Compass and she said she's gone up drastically since the vehicle broke in. But it's a different model, much smaller, and I guess I can't compare.

What is MY19? I don't understand the acronym. Thanks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I drove my GC from Long Island into NYC yesterday and back, and then the day before I drove from my home on LI to Westhampton Beach and back. My mileage went up to 18 mpg HIGHWAY. Not good. That's what I was told would be for city.

I am hoping as the engine breaks in, the mpg will improve. I am tempted to spend some money on the 93 octane to see if it would make a difference at this point. It's seriously sucking down some serious gas. At this rate, if the engine breaking in doesn't change things, I'm looking at a huge bill in gas alone every month.

I have to admit I am disappointed. I could live with 18 city, but not with 15 or 16. I had cars back in the day that were 8-cylinder that did that.
Could have something to do with the winter fuel in NY and northeast.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2017 Overland with the V6 and 8 speed automatic and my mileage is just about what they say. I compare my displayed MPG versus actual (use the "A" trip mileage for measuring mileage per tankful) and the error is usually around 1 to 2 mpg or so. I drive mostly highway back and forth to work and get 21 mpg or so. On trips, I have averaged 24 to 26 depending on how much time I spend above 70MPH. I have seen displayed average as high as 30MPG but it won't hold there for any length of time. Mileage is noticeably better during the summer. And I only use 87 octane regular gas. I noticed when I took delivery that the tire pressure was around 40 psi. I typically run them now at between 37 and 38. Oh and I do haul around a 4000 lb boat during the summer and the mileage drops significantly when I do. But to have a vehicle that gets reasonable gas mileage and will haul a big boat is a plus.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I live on Long Island and get about 16 city and around 20-21 highway with my 18 Laredo 3.6L. This is in the winter with my ski racks on the vehicle. In the summer without the ski racks and with summer fuel I was getting about 17 city, and 22-23 highway. I hope for a little better summer milage this year as I bought it in August and only had less than 2000 miles on it by the time it got cold.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have a 2017 Overland with the V6 and 8 speed automatic and my mileage is just about what they say. I compare my displayed MPG versus actual (use the "A" trip mileage for measuring mileage per tankful) and the error is usually around 1 to 2 mpg or so. I drive mostly highway back and forth to work and get 21 mpg or so. On trips, I have averaged 24 to 26 depending on how much time I spend above 70MPH. I have seen displayed average as high as 30MPG but it won't hold there for any length of time. Mileage is noticeably better during the summer. And I only use 87 octane regular gas. I noticed when I took delivery that the tire pressure was around 40 psi. I typically run them now at between 37 and 38. Oh and I do haul around a 4000 lb boat during the summer and the mileage drops significantly when I do. But to have a vehicle that gets reasonable gas mileage and will haul a big boat is a plus.

Greg, thanks for this reply. It was really great. I just have a question, as always, because I'm a newb when it comes to Jeeps and their intricacies. I know now what the A trip mileage is, but when you say the "displayed mileage," do you mean the one that shows with the two colored arcs, green and blue?

I would be okay with the average the dealership told me, which was 18 city, 25 highway, averaging 21 mpg, but I'm not near that yet. I am optimistic slightly, though, because it already has risen from 13-15 mpg to about 16 or 17. But I did do some highway driving this week two days in a row.

Guess I'll fill up today and reset, see what happens.

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I live on Long Island and get about 16 city and around 20-21 highway with my 18 Laredo 3.6L. This is in the winter with my ski racks on the vehicle. In the summer without the ski racks and with summer fuel I was getting about 17 city, and 22-23 highway. I hope for a little better summer milage this year as I bought it in August and only had less than 2000 miles on it by the time it got cold.
I never knew there was a difference in winter and summer fuels - the things we learn.

That's about what I'm getting now with only 500 miles on the engine. So maybe I'll get lucky, too, once break-in occurs. Wishing you the same.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts