Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
728 Posts
I'm pretty shocked at how bad the mileage on my V6 2020 trailhawk is vs what the sticker said. I just did a 370 mile all hwy drive from St George Utah to SoCal and only averaged 19.4 mpg (calculated, 19.1 gallons), the trip computer said it was 20.1. Set the cruise at 80 and did it pretty much the entire way home so I was expecting pretty good results. That's pretty bad considering it's supposed to be closer to 25mpg on the hwy. Around town I'm only getting about 15. And I drive this like an old lady around town (my wife on the other hand...) My Mustang GT does better than this thing. It's only got 2000 miles so hoping it improves as it breaks in but so far I'm not impressed with the mileage.
Your fuel mileage at 80 mph is not shocking at all. I'm not sure how you can expect to get anywhere near the rated 25 mpg when you are going that speed for 370 miles. When the EPA tests these things to determine mileage, it is nowhere near what you will achieve in the real world. The average speed for the highway test is about 48 mph, maxing out at 60. Then there is a high speed test done which is still at an average of 48, but maxing out at 80. Both of those are done with the AC off. I drive about 55,000 miles per year for work and I cannot achieve 25 mpg unless I am in the low 70's. I typically drive at 78-80 and never really do any better than 22 mpg. And that is in Ohio which is pretty darn flat. Correct me if I am wrong but driving from Utah to Cali would take you through some pretty hilly/mountainous terrain, wouldn't it? That in itself would kill your mileage no matter the speed.

Reactions: 68Hawk

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee trailhawk
14 Posts
Your fuel mileage at 80 mph is not shocking at all. I'm not sure how you can expect to get anywhere near the rated 25 mpg when you are going that speed for 370 miles. When the EPA tests these things to determine mileage, it is nowhere near what you will achieve in the real world. The average speed for the highway test is about 48 mph, maxing out at 60. Then there is a high speed test done which is still at an average of 48, but maxing out at 80. Both of those are done with the AC off. I drive about 55,000 miles per year for work and I cannot achieve 25 mpg unless I am in the low 70's. I typically drive at 78-80 and never really do any better than 22 mpg. And that is in Ohio which is pretty darn flat. Correct me if I am wrong but driving from Utah to Cali would take you through some pretty hilly/mountainous terrain, wouldn't it? That in itself would kill your mileage no matter the speed.
I have no trouble getting the EPA mileage or better on any of my other 3 cars at 80+ mph (mustang GT, ML350 and a 530i) I don't see why I shouldn't expect the Jeep to keep up. Especially with the ML350. It's AWD, and it weighs a freeking megaton but I get about 1.5 mpg better than the sticker and I don't run premium gas like it wants me to (too cheap lol). Form Utah to Cali, is hilly in a few spots but you start at 4000' end up near sea level. I think the ups and downs probably equal out over the run. And I didn't seem to do any better going than coming home. If it were 1 mpg less I would not care at all, but I'm off by nearly 6 mpg or 25% less than advertised. That's fairly significant.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Who buys a 5000lb brick for its fuel efficiency?
No offense meant to the OP or any other posters deeply worried about mpg, but honestly it should have been nearly the last thing you thought important when considering this vehicle.

I bloody love this rig (20' TH) but didn't even check it's 'reported' and 'tested' fuel efficiency.
I knew it would be crummy, and 1-4 mpg either way was never going to be a deal breaker on it.

If you are comparing your experiences in European or Japanese vehicles you're wasting your time.
A, petrol/gasoline is faaaaaar more expensive overseas so efficiency is one of the most important factors a car maker can design for, and B, people are trying to save the planet and go as green as possible in many of the worlds nations - NOT OURS.:mad:

This is a gas guzzling, excess loving, big vehicle compensating, ego driven twinkie frying country.
The Jeep is a perfect trademark for it.
And as I said, I frickin love this vehicle and got out of a Merc E350 and BMW 435xi to daily drive it.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee trailhawk
14 Posts
No offense meant to the OP or any other posters deeply worried about mpg, but honestly it should have been nearly the last thing you thought important when considering this vehicle.

I bloody love this rig (20' TH) but didn't even check it's 'reported' and 'tested' fuel efficiency.
I knew it would be crummy, and 1-4 mpg either way was never going to be a deal breaker on it.

If you are comparing your experiences in European or Japanese vehicles you're wasting your time.
A, petrol/gasoline is faaaaaar more expensive overseas so efficiency is one of the most important factors a car maker can design for, and B, people are trying to save the planet and go as green as possible in many of the worlds nations - NOT OURS.:mad:

This is a gas guzzling, excess loving, big vehicle compensating, ego driven twinkie frying country.
And as I said, I frickin love this vehicle and got out of a Merc E350 and BMW 435xi to daily drive it.

We also dumped an Merc E350 for the Jeep. I obviously don't buy cars for fuel economy (mustang etc), but I do expect my cars to get what they advertise. And if they don't then I wonder why, is it a mechanical issue?? I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully as it breaks in it will improve.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We also dumped an Merc E350 for the Jeep. I obviously don't buy cars for fuel economy (mustang etc), but I do expect my cars to get what they advertise. And if they don't then I wonder why, is it a mechanical issue?? I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully as it breaks in it will improve.
I hear you. I've just learned since the VW fiasco that it's highly likely car companies manipulate testing to manufacture a result they either think will sell well, or is needed to pass regulations.
Thus, I have no doubt you could achieve said numbers, but you'd need to simulate the driving style used for the testing. That's never going to happen in the real world.

For a start, anyone wanting to improve and get near advertised efficiency, trade your 265's in for 235's and watch your gas mileage improve out of sight. Especially if you purchase a quality set of tires with appropriate tread pattern.
No one's going to do anything but put $20 bills into their gas tank by running 265 AT's.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I agree, I didn't buy my 2 1/2 ton '12 JGC 4X4 5.7 HEMI for fuel efficiency! It makes me laugh when people asked what my MPG is, seriously!
I recently installed the Corsa sport exhaust system and Corsa CAI. My Jeep now sounds like the beast that it is.
BTW: I now have almost 90,000 mile on my Jeep and I still get the MPG that it was rated for give or take a mile or 2 (I do use mid-grade fuel). :)

Attachments

·
Registered
JGC Altittude
1,278 Posts
I used get 17-18 city but after my AT install get 14-15.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I used get 17-18 city but after my AT install get 14-15.
Wow, that much of a mileage hit just going to AT tires? Which ones? From which ones?

Now that I'm working from home and no longer having to do the four-mile stop-and-go low speed commute, I'm averaging about 22 mpg on the original Goodyear Wranglers. But I was only getting about 15 mpg on that commute.

·
Registered
JGC
867 Posts
If you didn't recalibrate your Odometer after putting the taller tires on, that would throw off your mpg. The extra inch in diameter will account for almost 1 mpg off "your mileage". Still a hit going with AT's, but 1/3 less than it appears without the recalibration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi! Just picked up a 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Saturday. I cannot get my gas mileage to anything better than 14-15 MPG.

I have tried the ECO mode and it's still terrible mileage. If I don't apply my foot to the gas taking off, I'm sure I can get it up a mile or two. But why have a vehicle you can step on the gas with? I find when I try to get better mileage, I have people riding my bumper.

I was told in the dealership it gets 18 city, average city and highway about 21, 22. This cannot be right.

I noticed my tire pressure reads 40+ in all four tires. Could that be why? I am going to be filling up the tank every other day at this rate. A six-cylinder should not be sucking the gas down like this is.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. :confused:
Here are the results for my 2013 jeep GC Overland with hemi v8.
Terrain. Garden state parkway, New Jersey. Steady on cruise / ECO all speeds.
72 MPH 21.5 mpg
65 MPH 22.5 mpg
60 MPH 23 mpg
55 MPH 26.2 mpg
Around town stop and go/ 14-15 mpg
The 55 mph result is not a fluke. I have done it several times and the result is the same.
Just had emission problem corrected. (replaced EISM)
Going to Virginia next week. Intend to cruise on 65. Let you know result when I get back.
This 2013 has treated me well. No major problems in 144,00 miles other than a few rust spots on hood and door. Not acceptable, but body shops have told me a problem with Chrysler cars.
Purchased new. Always used 5-20 Penzoil Platinum, dealer serviced. 87 octane.
Hope this helps.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts