Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to thank Jeep and my GC. Just had the pleasure of filling the tank, and slightly more than 3/4 of a tank was $72.00. Going from my Buick Regal to this has been a little bit of a shock.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Eh, that's not too bad. I filled up my truck yesterday, about 3/4 tank was $94... At least you won't burn through it at 10-12 MPG! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it wouldn't be like the Buick, but I guess it was a shock still. I'll get used to it im sure. I'm ok with my average 18mpg too. I love the truck way too much.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went from filling a g35 (now my wife's car) with premium to the wk2 with regular 87. I was hoping the difference in premium vs regular would help offset the wk2 mpg and bigger tank. Although it helped some, I'm in that $80-$90 range. Most the infiniti cost was $72 I think, usually around $65. Hey I didn't buy the wk2 to save at the pump but my rear does hurt a little everything I leave the station.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
This is my third Jeep. I stopped paying attention to my cost at the pump long ago :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try having a 36 gallon tank when all gas stations in your area cut you off at $95-100 and you only get it 2/3rds full

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Why the shock? It's not like we haven't seen higher gas prices since the mid-70's.

It was $.25 per gallon in 1973 when I started pumping gas for Mobil Oil - I was 16 years old.

Two months later it was $.75 per gallon and you had to wait in 2 hour lines to get your ration. If you had more than 1/2 tank of gas, you were sent to the end of the line until you had less than 1/2 tank.

A 1970 Hemi car got about 8 miles per gallon...

Consider yourselves fortunate.

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
Why the shock? It's not like we haven't seen higher gas prices since the mid-70's.

It was $.25 per gallon in 1973 when I started pumping gas for Mobil Oil - I was 16 years old.

Two months later it was $.75 per gallon and you had to wait in 2 hour lines to get your ration. If you had more than 1/2 tank of gas, you were sent to the end of the line until you had less than 1/2 tank.

A 1970 Hemi car got about 8 miles per gallon...

Consider yourselves fortunate.

Did you also walk to school.....uphill......both ways? ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
if you don't want to pay as much at the pump, don't fill up, go back more often.

I don't blame jeep for the doubling the cost of a fill up when it has double the size tank to my old car!!

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
If you really want to save at the pump, boy do I have a deal for you!

Attachments

·
Banned
909 Posts
if you don't want to pay as much at the pump, don't fill up, go back more often.

I don't blame jeep for the doubling the cost of a fill up when it has double the size tank to my old car!!
so exactly how are you not actually paying more because of all the wasted trips to the pump, :(

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Did you also walk to school.....uphill......both ways? ;)
Well, I don't understand the comment unless you're referring to those stories our parents told about walking two miles in a snow storm to get to class.

If you want to see people at their worst, shut off the supply of oil and gas. I dealt with this directly in 1973 when I was 16 ... I was the night manager that shut off the pumps to simulate we were out of gas. The customers waiting in line for 1.5 hours, inching their way to the pump, only to get two drips of gas from the nozzle sets people off big time. I had one guy jump out of his car and beat the pump with his fist - cracking the top plastic cover.

As for me, I was fortunate because I never walked to school nor did I wait in 2 hour gas lines - I filled up my car and my parents cars after closing. I owned a 1965 Olds 442 and 1969 Camaro SS L78 in high school - fast, but both were major gas guzzlers. I could barely afford gas for my Camaro, much less the cost of oil it burned each week.

Damn I think I was only making $1.80 per hour.

Fun times ...

·
Registered
170 Posts
so exactly how are you not actually paying more because of all the wasted trips to the pump, :(
You need to find a Utopian world where a fill up costs $x.

If I fill up 0nce for 24 gallons at $4 a gallon it cost $96, go twice and add 12 gall each time it still cost $96, not a penny more.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
My truck costs 150 to fill up i average 9-10 mog un the city now im waiting for my jeep which im guessing wont get much more than 10 in the city, my saving grace is that i live a mile from my office, and the schwinn gets me there in less than 5 min ;)

·
Registered
Latitude X
931 Posts
I would like to thank Jeep and my GC. Just had the pleasure of filling the tank, and slightly more than 3/4 of a tank was $72.00. Going from my Buick Regal to this has been a little bit of a shock.
Seriously?
You're telling us that you didn't read the EPA sticker on the window that told you the mileage?
I'm very happy with my mileage, almost the same as I was getting from my Subaru Legacy 3.6R, which weighed 1000lbs less, narrower tires (damn these tires have a wide footprint!), and had the same size engine (though slightly less power).

As for filling up before the gauge reads "E"...
As long as the station is on your way home from work, how does that become 'wasted' trips to the pump?

With the way gas prices have fluctuated over the last couple years, it has become our standard practice to fill up around half a tank. The 'gas price lottery' becomes less of a pain (and the pump doesn't shut off because you hit the pre-authorized amount).

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Well here in Canada, average gas price is now $1.30 litre, which is 4.92 us gallon. That makes for a $117 fill-up from bone dry. Good thing I live near the border to get some of that US gas that there giving away at $3.90 us gallon lol. I see Venezuela's gas price was in the news at $.03 litre, WOW could we have fun there!

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a 2010 VW Tiguan which got I think 18/24. I am now in a 2014 JGC V6 that get's 17/25. I got a much larger truck, storage, capabilities - and my MPG on the highway went up 1MPG - You can't beat that!

Plus now I have a longer range w/ the 24 gallon tank. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts