Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

GC 2012 Alternator Failure

Tags
38K views 106 replies 35 participants last post by  SouthernComfort 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

Has there been any issues with the alternators on the Grand Cherokee 2012 models in Australia (3.6L)? I ask because it looks like mine is gone, 3.5 years old, and I see that there is a recall on similar models in the states.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Recalls - Cars.com

Thanks

#2 ·
I can't recall a single comment re the alternator on any model through the local forums at least, and I've been around them since 2012 when we got our first WK2. If there are failures out there, mustn't be many.
Just for info - one small point - I have an old brochure dated 05/11 and it notes the alternator in the AU 3.6 and 5.7 as 180 amp. the 3.0 diesel had a 220amp.
Your recall sheet notes the alternator failure to be with the 160 amp fitted to US models - but it might be a systemic issue.
John

#4 ·
Hi , I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3 ltr diesel , dramatic story , alternator fail burnout, 4 year old battery cell melt down at the same time, and an ' apparent transmission pump failure ", all the symptoms you have described , but in a different order , stopped at traffic lights everything going fine, then whilst in gear could not drive forward , a warning flash difficult to read on LCD 'great not in sync' some thing like that, found some where to stop by rolling there, could start and stop the engine but now select any gears, ( is this an electrical or mechanical problem ) ?

#5 · (Edited)
Hello Tooves and Fair Skies,

We recently experienced an alternator failure in our 2012 Jeep GC 3.6L V6. As a result the battery also needs replacing. We have been advised that the diodes have failed and this caused the alternator to overheat and fill the engine bay with smoke. There was no prior warning that the charging system was failing and no battery light indicated.
Do you know whether your alternators were 160, 180 or 220AMP?
FCA have stated they are unaware of any other cases of this occuring in australia???? Seems to me like there are a few.

#9 ·
I had an alternator fail while in warranty. That was a couple of years ago so it was probably around the 60k mark

#11 ·
No nothing that dramatic. All the warning lights started coming on one after the other while driving to work. I pulled up and put he car in neutral before it died. The Jeep roadside service guy tested it before it died completely and told me it was an alternator.. I had it towed to Parramatta CJD where they took a few days to get around to look at it, despite me telling them what was wrong. I had to go to the UK before they got around to looking at it and when I got back a couple of weeks later they told me it was the battery. I picked the car up on a Friday afternoon of a long weekend and had to drive to Port Stephens. Half way up the freeway, all the warning lights came on again and it died in the arse again. The muppets at Parramatta changed the battery but clearly didn't test the alternator. Long story short, the car was towed to Gosford CJD where it took another two weeks to get an alternator and fix the car. There's a reason I will never take a car to Parramatta CJD for service as long as my arse points to the ground.

#12 ·
Hearing more complaints of this issue in the facebook groups, moreso with the 3.6 (is that the lower spec alternator?) there is suggestion of a recall.

#13 ·
I noticed last week a new TSB covering 2012-2014 Grand Cherokees. It related to an ALTERNATOR DIODE THERMAL FATIGUE. TSB: RC-T36-17

New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – T3607112017

FCA US LLC (FCA US) has announced a safety recall on certain 2011-2014 model year (LC) Dodge Challenger, (LD) Dodge Charger, (LX) Chrysler 300, (WD) Dodge Durango and 2012-2014 model year (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with electrohydraulic power steering (“EHPS”) and a 160 Amp alternator (Sales Code BAB) or 180 Amp alternator (Sales Code BAD) or 220 Amp alternator (Sales Code BAJ).

Some of the above vehicles may experience an alternator diode thermal fatigue failure due to cyclical loads induced by EHPS. When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator.

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall to replace the suspect alternators with new alternators containing improved diodes on all affected vehicles.

Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in 4th Quarter of 2017.

We ask that you please take the time to ensure that your personnel are aware of this communication and are prepared to execute a customer friendly process for inquiries regarding involved vehicles.

Customer Services Field Operations FCA US LLC

Reactions: GMWK2
#16 ·
"Execute a customer friendly process"

Hahahaha......

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

#17 ·
Just got my 2012 CRD (MY2013) after 4 weeks waiting for a new alternator and PCM. I must say the lack of spares has turned me right off Jeep.
I did pester FCA for 2 weeks to provide a loan car and then suddenly a Chrysler 300C rental was delivered to me. Two days later FCA customer "service" calls me to say they cannot provide a loan car (so I find out the dealer did that).
Luckily mine is covered by a third party extended warranty however I cannot understand how there can be a recall and somehow you (or your warranty) are expected to cover the cost of the current alternator simply because again FCA do not have parts, ridiculous to say the least.
I am 12 months away from upgrading the Jeep and a new Jeep is looking very unlikely now. Disappointing when it could have been avoided through better customer service.

#19 ·
It would be impossible for any organisation to have the volume of spare parts to cover all vehicles involved overnight. That said, I understand your frustration in the wait time and customer service.

#20 ·
I hear what you are saying however surely they have some stock now, what is being installed in new cars on the production line now? Any vehicle that has failed now knowing the issue and is off the road should be given priority. Why should they charge the customer not only to replace a faulty part failing but then install the same known faulty part? I cannot comprehend this.

I have had a number of other makes from new and never have I had such an incomprehensible scenario like this.

Just disappointing when it is a fit for purpose and nice car to drive otherwise.

#25 · (Edited)
As I understand it there is a problem with the way the Electro-hydraulic steering draws on the battery and it causes the alternator diodes to fail. It isn't so much that the alternator is bad, it is an interaction between the two. The 2016+ GC has gone to full electric steering, so my guess is its not a problem, which is why the recall on includes up to 2015 models.

And this isn't a unique scenario, other car makers have been installing bad takata air bags because they don't have the new stock yet. The case with the alternators is a bit more difficult, they have to come up with a design change that fixes the problem, build it, test it over enough cycles to confirm it is fixed, then build enough of them to replace. It takes time.

#21 ·
Just happened to our Overland Sunday.

Got the Jeep towed to our regular warranty/breakdown repairer as they know our car intimately. Diagnosed with buggered alternator.

They are calling me this morning to let me know if Jeep Australia will come to the party with a 'good will' gesture and foot some of the bill.

New alternator $2400.

#24 ·
Keep your receipts, word is that if the diesels are recalled in the future you will be able to claim the costs back from FCA.

This is a big issue, going to cost them a bundle to fix.

#27 ·
Hellipilot you are in NSW, you could take the dealer you bought it from or FCA to NCAT and get your money back..

The threat of doing so should be enough to bring them to the table.

It's reasonable to expect that the alternator would last longer than that and would be covered under Australian Consumer Law.

#29 · (Edited)
Hi all - just to add to the list , Alternator stuffed in our 2012 Laredo last weekend.
Rang Jeep Australia on Monday to see if they would 'good will' gesture so that i didnt have to fork out $2400 for a new alternator. Guess what - stock standard Jeep Aust answer , sorry theres nothing we can do to help you. No wonder the Jeep brand is damaged here in Aust. Hellipilot where did you source your OEM alternator, im nervous about purchasing from US. Surely Jeep Aust must be seeing Alternator failure in Diesel sas well at an ever increasing level, surely they must care about there customers? How is it that a Genuine part in US is $400 but $2400 here ?

#31 ·
Hi all - just to add to the list , Alternator stuffed in our 2012 Laredo last weekend.
Rang Jeep Australia on Monday to see if they would 'good will' gesture so that i didnt have to fork out $2400 for a new alternator. Guess what - stock standard Jeep Aust answer , sorry theres nothing we can do to help you. No wonder the Jeep brand is damaged here in Aust. Hellipilot where did you source your OEM alternator, im nervous about purchasing from US. Surely Jeep Aust must be seeing Alternator failure in Diesel sas well at an ever increasing level, surely they must care about there customers? How is it that a Genuine part in US is $400 but $2400 here ?
Ok. You have the correct price for genuine.
I was offered O.E.M through the service department when speaking to him about me just getting a $620 alternator from Evilbay. (From Melbourne).

O.E.M I was originally quoted about $1550 then they rang and made a mistake and went to $1750. Yes I could have argued verbal contract, consideration etc, but we needed the car back.

I decided not to go Evilbay as I was not confident with seller re feedback.

At least they will warrant part and labour if they supply same.

Hope this helps.

#30 ·
My 2 cents ...
A friend linving in France had his alternator dead.
He owns a 2011 3.0 CRD WK2.
Of course the dealer charged him the repairs (alternator and battery).
I forwarded him the 2012-2014 alternator recall, he then mailed FCA and after weeks, he got a reply form FCA Canada (?) to send a copy of related expenses.
He told me he was re-imbursed !!

So for those in the trouble, push FCA, they can do it !!!

I printed the above recall annoucement and soon go to the dealer to warn him.
They usually deny the evidence, I can partly understand that they are not allowed to decide instead of FCA ...

#32 ·
My brother in laws GC has just suffered alternator failure. It is actually my first Jeep - a MY12 that he bought off me 2 years ago. I guess it has now done about 100,000k. He had the car packed ready to set off on a camping trip and the car would not start with a dead battery.

He gets the opportunity to go and discuss the matter with his local dealer....

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.