Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts
Hi Swampy,

Ive been a long time jeeper, owning a 2001 wrangler and now a 2013 trail hawk. Unfortunately have just experienced exactly what happened to you in terms of alternator, car got very hot, the Air Suspension lights came on, then ABS waring light, then traction control, went into limp mode.We turned the car off, now it won't start - Luckily it died out the front of our house.

I have called FCA Australia, they checked their list - said I wasn't on it (similar to your original call I believe) and had minimal chance of getting this case approved. I have the 3.0CRD, which I believe you also have, as well as EHPS and a 220A alt. I have confirmed this on build.

I was wondering if I was able to use your case as evidence of support for this recall, T36. Any information you are happy to Gove me would be fantastic.

Im awaiting a call back form their escalations department

I live in Melbourne

i Swampy,

Ive been a long time jeeper, owning a 2001 wrangler and now a 2013 trail hawk. Unfortunately have just experienced exactly what happened to you in terms of alternator, car got very hot, the Air Suspension lights came on, then ABS waring light, then traction control, Im assuming it went into limp mode due to power loss. We turned the car off, now it won't start - Luckily it died out the front of our house.

I have called FCA Australia, they checked their list - said I wasn't on it (similar to your original call I believe) and had minimal chance of getting this case approved. I have the 3.0CRD, which I believe you also have, as well as EHPS and a 220A alt. I have confirmed this on build.

I was wondering if I was able to use your case as evidence of support for this recall, T36. Any information you are happy to Gove me would be fantastic.

Im awaiting a call back form their escalations department

I live in Melbourne

Bad news Josh.

My vehicle went on the tilt tray to the dealer on Monday and I had a call back from the Dealer on Tuesday confirming that the alternator was indeed fried but they couldn't replace it as part of the recall as it wasn't on the list. Said that they needed correspondence from FCA before they could do it.

So I phoned back FCA customer care who then advised that sorry, they had made a mistake and mine wasn't on the list, even though they had used my VIN number last time to check. They said (as had been stated on here previously) that the recall only applies to petrol variants, not the diesel. So I explained that it is exactly the same issue as the Petrol variants, Electrically assisted hydraulic steering, 220 amp alternator etc, but they advised they can't do anything. The guy said that they have had a few diesel alternators fail recently but can't do anything. They said to try and get the dealer to put forward a "Goodwill" claim and see how I go.

So I spoke to the dealer who will put in the claim, but I don't like my chances as the JGC has already done about 220,000km, so I expect that will be the excuse, even though this is dangerous due to unexpected shut downs, just like the petrol variants.

I do not know but suspect the reason that the diesels were not added to the recall was that they were not sold in the US between 2012 and 2013, so they didn't make the list. I mean we made the brake booster snow and ice shield right? Just as well, as the amount of snow and ice that we have had around Perth this year is unbelievable!

Anyway, my letter to the ACCC is drafted and I will hit the submit button as soon as I learn about the result of the Goodwill claim. It appears to me that the recall for the petrol variants is to protect the drivers from a bad accident however FCA don't mind if a few of the diesel drivers get killed. Bit extreme I know, but quite possible.

I have instructed the dealer to order in the new alternator (from the USA they say, possibly up to 3 weeks) while the FCA claim is pending.

To anyone that has had their claim denied, I strongly encourage you to lodge and unsafe product report to the ACCC via there web site, referencing:

PRA No. 2017/16284
Date published 12 Sep 2017
Campaign number T36

and explain the ludicrous situation.

The sad part is, what else can we expect from Jeep and FCA?

Reactions: allypally
Gidday guys
My 2014 wk diesel alternator diodes died as per t36 recall.
Contacted jeep cust care who said not covered as diesel and vin not on list.
Told them it was dangerous and a safety issue.They were not interested.
Filled in the ACCC forms on line regards it being dangerous when vehicle shuts down .
Cant understand their attitude as it is exactly the same issue as the t36 recall.
Will be doing as much as possible to get reimbursed for the known faulty and dangerous alternator.
Cheers

Should of included Im on the Goldcoast Aus.
Cheers

One of the biggest problems with FCA is they are soooo slow to respond with issues like these. Ie, widening the recall. It’s as if they have no voice with USA.

Any reason the failing diode can't just be replaced?

Good Question. However if there was a cheaper way of doing it, you would think FCA would be all over it. Plus there is the risk of re-occurrence. Maybe you were thinking of a short term fix until the alternators are in stock?

My alternator decided to die when I was near Sandy Point,Victoria.
Very nasty dangerous situation when car shuts down.
Racv transported car to Morwell,being the nearest Jeep dealer.
Had to have after market one fitted as no Jeep ones available in the country.
On returning home my local auto electrician said that it was common problem .
He said the denso was generally a good unit with really poor diodes fitted.
Guaranteed to fail ,just a matter of when.
He reckons he could repair properly with decent parts and would be bullet proof.
Yes worth repairing.
Cheers

Hi, New user form South Africa here, I own a 2012 limited Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD 75 000km ODO, and my alternator has just failed while driving, I have been quoted a huge amount to repair by the dealer as both the alternator and PCM have failed. I have taken exception with this as it is seemingly a known fault, although the FCA is saying it is not covered by recall on the Diesel models. I have taken this up with the local FCA and in the USA and they have requested my alternator be sent to the USA for evaluation. If this has happened to you and you have 3.0 CRD please pursue this with the Local FCA and dealers and if needs be USA. It is a dangerous fault that needs rectifying not at the owners cost.

So I’ve got a diesel overland Sep 2012 - alternator fried and damaged other components too. Lots of smoke!!! Dealer quoting $9k to fix. Head office initially saying they would fix because they have had lots of issues with the alternators in the diesels too (as well as the petrol). Ie I thought I had a win. Then she comes back and says they are not going to fix and that I should go to the ACCC. WTF!!!! Anyone had any luck? There is clearly a manufacturers fault here

Thanks Swampy

How can Jeep Australia ignore a safety recall?

Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in 4th Quarter of 2017.

This has only taken 12 months and we still have no resolution.

MMMMMMMMM head in the sand technique.

They do the same as in Europe ...
Few dealers know about that, and others are surprised when I show them the TSB and recall.
With my VIN, they found only one thing about HVAC, despite TSBs mentionning other ones for EMEA 2014 WK.

A friend in France had his alternator died (2011-2012 CRD), and only after a fight thru FCA Canada and USA the costs were covered afterward.

Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in 4thQuarter of 2017.
Swampy
Can you show me where this notice was posted.
eg tsb or dealer notice
Cheers
Am trying to find the right ammunition to approach fca with to get reimbursed for my costs in replacing my alternator.
Im really surprised Accc has done nothing as its such a safety issue .

61 - 80 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.