Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts
The recall has been issued but only for the petrol models. I suspect that this is because they did not run the Diesels prior to 2014 in the USA, so didn't make the recall.

Here is the link to the ACCC notice and VIN list in excel.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...sler-300-and-2012-2014-wk-jeep-grand-cherokee

Be interested to see how Baza goes. Try the VIN list and see if your vehicle is on it.

I put in a formal "Report an unsafe product" notice to the ACCC but they were not interested. However I do suggest that everyone does the same, and then they may start to take notice. Weight of numbers etc. etc....

When the alternators do fail, it is actually quite dangerous. I suppose FCA and the ACCC will wait until someone get's killed first, then they'll look into it, and wonder how this happened.....

220 amp alternator ?

Print the recall and take it with you, beter than nothing ...

Big sh...t if facelift models suffer this failure, too.

The recall has been issued but only for the petrol models. I suspect that this is because they did not run the Diesels prior to 2014 in the USA, so didn't make the recall.

Here is the link to the ACCC notice and VIN list in excel.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...sler-300-and-2012-2014-wk-jeep-grand-cherokee
Swampy, I randomly tried 3-4 VIN from this list at Mopar recall website https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html , and even if VIN said it's a RHD WK2, website links it to Canada recall ...
How strange FCA "handle" this ...

Gents,
Is the 220 amp alternator installed into any other Jeep Grand Cherokee besides the diesel?

New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – T3607112017 does NOT state weather the vehicles in the safety recall are petrol or diesel.

This leaves a grey area as to which vehicles are actually being referenced in the safety recall petrol diesel or all jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles.

Just got off the phone to Jeep Customer Care. A quite pleasant lady informed me only petrol models are being recalled at the moment, but I should keep my receipts for the repair as Jeep will reimburse me if they decide the diesel is also affected. Apparently they are looking into this, but I won't hold my breath.

Recap - mine is a MY14 Diesel Overland with 104,000km on the clock.

Still 35 000 km to go to reach your mileage.
Or around 2 years.
FCA should have clarified the diesel trouble in the meantime.

Just got off the phone to Jeep Customer Care. A quite pleasant lady informed me only petrol models are being recalled at the moment, but I should keep my receipts for the repair as Jeep will reimburse me if they decide the diesel is also affected. Apparently they are looking into this, but I won't hold my breath.

Recap - mine is a MY14 Diesel Overland with 104,000km on the clock.
104,000km? Barely run in.

We're up to about 240,000km. MY12 though.....

Re Keeping the receipts and are looking into it.... They have been looking into it since May this year when ours failed...... I'm guessing it must be a very long look.

How badly FCA have treated their Jeep customers over the years in glacial speed responses to problems and / or the dismissal thereof is simply staggering.

I have NEVER dealt with a company as bad as these guys, ever.

Same responce I had.
Any one with this issue and diesel model just make sure you notify Accc .
Interesting wording on the Accc recall as it states both types of alternators only then refers to vin numbers.
Not specific to petrol or diesel model but vins.???
Some one will get hurt when they get caught out when the vehicle shuts down.
Interesting to note mine is my 14 and similar milage.
Poor response from FCA again.
Cheers

I did a quick search in that VIN spreadsheet, and those VINs all appear to have the 3.6L engine code.

oh and an FYI, it was $880 for local mechanic to supply and fit aftermarket replacement. He believes it must be a common issue as his local supplier has them in stock. Maybe Jeep parts dept could learn form them!

Another 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee alternator failure.
Very scary when everything fails like steering etc.
Lucky no one was injured.
Compared to the air bag fiasco these alternator failures are more dangerous and more prominent.
I hope no one gets injured whilst jeep think what they can do.
I have kept the alternator and will give to jeep for testing at a reasonable price.

Was yours a Diesel? If so the diesel alternators rarely fail. Just ask FCA! They wouldn't lie to you, would they? They wouldn't knowingly ignore the fact that potentially hundreds of diesel Grand Cherokees have had failures, just like the petrols that are subject to the recall but not the diesels, and continue to put lives at risk when they do fail, would they? Surely they are not waiting till someone gets seriously injured or worse, killed, because the inept organisation being FCA continue to ignore the problem?

No, you must be mistaken. The fried diodes in the alternator that you have in your possession is just a frigment of your imagination, as diesel alternators rarely fail.

Hi Swampy,

Yes my Jeep is a diesel, 2012 Laredo.

The alternator started with a service suspension fault, and then the Merry Christmas tree dash.

I was lucky, I was very close to home a couple of 100 meters, and by the time the alternator failure light came on I had lost steering, heater was fully on, could not wind down the windows etc.

Like I said, if I was towing the van and lost steering ABS traction control etc heaven for bid what could have happened.

The alternator failure has also fried engine sensors which of course also added to the dramas.

The only question I ask is why Jeep won't check the number of alternators sold or installed into dies Jeeps over the last couple of years and see there is a problem!
I could not get an alternator in Queensland, and NSW and finaly was able to get one from Melbourne.
Does not this tell Jeep that they have low stocks OR there are a high number of alternators being replaced.

FCA won't do anything unless they are instructed by Chrysler Jeep Dodge USA or an Australian Government department or arbitration.

Suggest that you also log a case with the ACCC on their website. They have so far ignored this issue and brush it off to minor or state government departments, but if they keep getting complaints, maybe they might put two and two together and realise how big the problem is.

Unfortunately I fear that nothing will happen till someone gets killed.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.