Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was going to send in my ECU tomorrow. Emailed a question and got this answer.
Thank you for your correspondence. Our webstore is currently paused while we are working to understand the many changes happening in these past days to the aftermarket industry. Once we have answers to not only our own questions but also able to address your questions we will make a further announcement.
Called them and they can't answer the phone. May be bad news for us diesel owners. EPA probably caught up with them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
And potentially for people that have the tunes if they take it that far. If they gain access to a customer list they have a easy way of finding who had a tuned ECU.

If it actually came down to that, hopefully we can get blank Mopar ECUs and someone out there that can tune the extra one to stock.

Just paranoid though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Clean air act, only makes you libel for $45,268.00.
Per vehicle, for tampering with emissions.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My reading of act, includes anybody who tampers with emission equipment.
Including individual owners of vehicles.
Federal crime, to tamper with emission equipment on street driven vehicles .

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My reading of act, includes anybody who tampers with emission equipment.
Including individual owners of vehicles.
Federal crime, to tamper with emission equipment on street driven vehicles .
Could you show where it states "Including individual owners of vehicles" and "$45,268.00.". I'm not doubting you, but would like to have it for reference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lots information can be found by Googling.
Individual penalties tampering with emission system’s.
$10,000 maybe max for individual owner per vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
are there any other alternative companies if GDE does not do this any more? I already paid them for mine but I was wondering why they did not email me back.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lots information can be found by Googling.
Individual penalties tampering with emission system’s.
$10,000 maybe max for individual owner per vehicle.
I guess anything's possible but luckily it's not the EPA's goal.

This new NCI will be implemented during FY 2020-2023.

Goal
This NCI will focus on stopping the manufacture, sale, and installation of defeat devices on vehicles and engines used on public roads as well as on nonroad vehicles and engines.
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/nati...es-and-engines

·
Registered
224 Posts
are there any other alternative companies if GDE does not do this any more? I already paid them for mine but I was wondering why they did not email me back.
Same here. I almost sent my ECU last Friday but had a question and emailed them. Got message about they can't answer any questions now. I wonder what would have happened if I had sent it. Probable been without a car for who knows how long. Now we'll have to fight to get our money back.

·
Registered
339 Posts
f&&K!!! was just about to send mine back to them ... if they aren't supporting a re-tune anymore that's total bullshit this was one of my main concerns and why i waited to buy it in the first place.... you don't really buy/own anything other than their service and honor to reflash when you need it. if they won't/can't reflash they've essentially stolen the original purchase price by not continuing to support their customers.

·
Registered
339 Posts
confirmed - just tried to order the update.... nope out of stock / must remove it from cart. warranty is clear as mud but i'm sure in GDE's opinion they sold it once and no continuing responsibility to support the product or redeliver it (via pcm flash)

dammit i should've trusted my instincts on this - don't buy something you don't truly own. the thing we bought is in their possession and now the doors are locked

·
Registered
838 Posts
f&&K!!! was just about to send mine back to them ... if they aren't supporting a re-tune anymore that's total bullshit this was one of my main concerns and why i waited to buy it in the first place.... you don't really buy/own anything other than their service and honor to reflash when you need it. if they won't/can't reflash they've essentially stolen the original purchase price by not continuing to support their customers.
Small businesses closing down in 2019 happens every day. I knew this going in that they could possible close at any time. Didn't think they could be forced to do so. We are jumping the gun on this and should wait for an official announcement. I believe if GDE can make it right, they will. If not it's always a risk with aftermarket tunes. Holding on to Non-AEM here. Hot tune working just fine here. No codes, no check engine, no limp mode. Waiting as long as I can to swallow the AEM pill. FCA is going to hang us ecodiesel owners out to dry and not even bat an eye. Sad situation here. I believe they(FCA) could do much better than this.

·
Registered
838 Posts
confirmed - just tried to order the update.... nope out of stock / must remove it from cart. warranty is clear as mud but i'm sure in GDE's opinion they sold it once and no continuing responsibility to support the product or redeliver it (via pcm flash)

dammit i should've trusted my instincts on this - don't buy something you don't truly own. the thing we bought is in their possession and now the doors are locked
You get your money back and some more by taking the AEM pill. And you are back to where you were before you bought the Hot Tune now. I just wish I would've kept my original ECM.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts