Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed some General UHP tires in place of the stock run-flats. First impressions below, with about ~300 miles on them...

First things first - The Pirelli's sucked. Got about 8k miles last year - already at the wear bars. No aggressive driving to speak of, we were still breaking the damn car in! Being in Maine, we get lots of cool mornings and nights in the spring and fall. The Pirelli's felt like we were driving on steel donuts at anything below 45 degrees.

1. The Generals tread pattern and sidewalls look more aggressive.

2. Freeway noise is better (I know we're still in the break-in period, but hope this stays consistent).

3. The Generals seem to track the road better - less random pulling side-to-side.

4. It's still early season here, but the Generals don't "skip" on driveway/parking lot turns in sub-40 degree weather.

5. Price - my wallet appreciated the choice!

Overall, pleased with the choice. Want to say "Thanks!" to all who posted feedback on this board - you all helped the decision making process a bunch!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
looking at these as well any further comment with more miles on? The one thing I was worried about was the road noise from them stated in some other places.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
looking at these as well any further comment with more miles on? The one thing I was worried about was the road noise from them stated in some other places.

The general grabbers were my favorite non runflat....also looked the best....can’t comment on road noise because exhaust muted that in mine...

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Noise is very subjective. Personally I REALLY hate tire road noise.

For me, the Generals get louder than I would like when they get down to about 40% treadwear left.

I do tend to change them a bit earlier than required because of that but even then, the price is s still a major win.

Other than that, they are awesome tires, a LOT better than the stock Pirelli's.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I love my UHP's. I now use them year-round. The road noise is evident, but much better than the snow's that I used to use in the winter.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
The Grabbers' pattern really, really drains rain water very well...I have no worries about hydroplaning at "legal" speeds....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took a drive out of State this past weekend, now have about 8-900 miles on them. Still very acceptable noise levels (nothing noticeable compared to the Pirelli's). Honestly, the rumble of the Borla probably drones out any increase I might hear anyway... :)

Highway driving is smooth - 90+mph and the SRT just locks in.

So far, so good!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Awesome guys thanks for the recommendation, I also have a Borla so probably won't hear them anyway! Just saw that was a major complaint in the reviews. I have Vreds now and as they as starting to wear down they are terrible in the rain with wheel grab, a couple pucker moments going down the free way at "legal" speeds!

·
Registered
SRT Night
403 Posts
I picked these up about 3 months ago after I decided I wasn't going to take out a loan for some new run flats.

They've been great and the road noise hasn't been an issue for me at all. I also am running the borla a-tak but even cruising I've not noticed much diff from the stock.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a set with 4,500 miles on them. About 9.5/32nds tread remains.

PM if you want to buy them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts