Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like Dodge and Ram get the dial shifter and Chrysler and Jeep get the push/pull shifter. Bummer. I think the dial is much cleaner and likely easier to get in the proper range. Maybe they thought drivers would get confused between the transmission and 4X4 controls.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-LwKi_vA4DTo/U...mY/s1600/2014-Dodge-Durango-23%255B2%255D.jpg

Hopefully, the image shows up. If not, you can find many pictures as carscoops.com.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Looks clean and I like the red stitching. Now that I've had hands on with the shifter, I love it and find it easy to use. I'm still getting use to shifting into reverse and find myself throwing it all the way into park, but I think it works out better than a dial. I still find my hand staying on the shifter as if it were a manual, so it's nice to have something to hold on to.

Reactions: moparado

·
The Negotiator
5,357 Posts
There is a thread on this that someone wants to take out the shifter and put in the dial..

·
Registered
'10 Nissan Maxima SV
353 Posts
I still find my hand staying on the shifter as if it were a manual, so it's nice to have something to hold on to.
+1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
.... I still find my hand staying on the shifter as if it were a manual, so it's nice to have something to hold on to....
Bingo! ^
Just IMO, why on earth would anyone 'want' a knob shifter is beyond me.
Just hope you never get it confused with the radio volume control or the HVAC fan speed control knob!

Only reason i can think of is a vehicle equipped with a front bench seat.
Then its probably either column or the knob.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
Moardo, you do know this thread is from 2013... ;) Then again...WL. :)

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,004 Posts
I've driven my brothers RAM truck with the dial shifter, I didn't like it. Too easy to shift past the intended spot. Yet, its not so bad I would not pass up a vehicle I liked just because of the dial shifter. I didn't test it, it was my brother's truck, but I'm sure they have computer intervention to prevent something stupid like shifting into park while you're moving aster than 5mph..... ....maybe there is a lock out in the shifter itself?

We had a discussion about this over at the Alpar.com site, with people's frustration the monopole shifter on 2014-2015 FCA vehicles. Folks are pretty confident the shifters work on the same signals, the ZF transmissions shifts itself based off the electric signals it receives from the shifter, I think its even descrete circuits, not digital. You might have to improvise with the wiring if the connectors are different, but the real challenge is making the shifter from another model fit the interior of another model and not look like a total chop job.

A durango vs a grand cherokee, perhaps the entire panel can be swapped. Keep in mind, the dealer usually charges quite a bit for shifters and interior panels.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I've driven my brothers RAM truck with the dial shifter, I didn't like it. Too easy to shift past the intended spot. Yet, its not so bad I would not pass up a vehicle I liked just because of the dial shifter. I didn't test it, it was my brother's truck, but I'm sure they have computer intervention to prevent something stupid like shifting into park while you're moving aster than 5mph..... ....maybe there is a lock out in the shifter itself?........
Yeah, IMO and IMO only, the knob shifter is a dumb idea.
I think the Euro's started it and ended up as 'monkey see monkey do'.

When i was looking for a new pickup truck back in '16 my first stop was my local RAM dealership.
Because all RAM variants had knob shifters, i ended up with a Ford XLT Sport with a nice center console 'stick' shifter.
The new 700 hp RAM TRX does have a center console shifter but at $100K loaded....no thanks, i'll stick with my Ford!

I will say this though, if given a choice between a column and a knob shifter i'd begrudgingly go with the knob.
One of my first vehicles if i remember correctly was a '60 hand me down Chevy that i got rid of fast.
It had a column shifter but even worse it had a manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
What did we call those good old three-speed manual column shifters? Three-on-the-tree? Something like that ...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
What did we call those good old three-speed manual column shifters? Three-on-the-tree? Something like that ...
Yeah, i think that was it.
Was trying to remember what they were called when typing my post.

Back when i souped up my '64 413 Plymouth, it had one of those long Hurst 1-1/2 foot sticks for the Chrysler 4 speed manual tranny.
No center console, the stick went directly into the shift linkage through the floor board.

Yeah those good 'ol days.

Reactions: 17*GRAND$

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Ha. My '64 Plymouth Valiant slant-six had the pushbutton auto tranny -- surely the predecessor, in spirit, of the dial knob shifter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2019 Chrysler 300 Limited with the dial shifter and a 2020 Jeep GC Limited with the push pull lever. I MUCH prefer the lever in the Jeep. Only way I'd ever consider the dial to be OK is if the vehicle also has paddles, which our 300 does not have.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Thanks for the walk down memory lane fellows. I learned to drive in a '61 Valiant with a push button. Also had a '60 Impala and a '65 Malibu with 3 on the tree. The first car I owned myself was a '61 VW bug with a 3 speed on the floor, and it wasn't synchronized into 1st gear. Ground a lot of hamburger in that one! All great memories. Can't see myself owning a dial shifter though. Just wouldn't feel natural to me. To each his own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had a '72 Chevy C-10 with a straight six and three on the tree .
My left leg/hip socket & ass are still sore from easing that clutch out .
Knob for tranny control ?
Nix !

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ha. My '64 Plymouth Valiant slant-six had the pushbutton auto tranny -- surely the predecessor, in spirit, of the dial knob shifter.
Bubba, my very first vehicle that i could call my own was a '57 Plymouth inline six complete with push button tranny controls.
Had at least one maybe two later year mopars with the same i forget.
Between the push button and the knob, i'd chose the push buttons.

There's just something not right with a knob tranny shifter.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thanks for the walk down memory lane fellows.....
jacko, the older some of us get the more that those old memory lanes becomes important for our brain cell health!

Ahh! Those past long term memory lanes! Now gone with the wind!

Reactions: jacko15

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts

Reactions: jacko15

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Whoa! That's my dad's '51 Plymouth! The one you could see the road through the floorboards in! Where did you find it?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yeah those old rust bucket Plymouths.
My dad bought a newer vehicle and gave me his rust bucket '57 Plymouth during my hi school years.

Lost many tools and dam near lost the spare tire out of the big rust hole in the trunk floor at the wheel well.

Had my eye on this girl and offered her a ride home after school.
Seems her side of the seat bench seat gave way to rust dragging on the road.
She ended up walking home after all. lol

Reactions: BubbaATL
1 - 20 of 36 Posts