Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, hello to all of you. I'm new to the forum, though not new to the Jeep.

I've got a 2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. This is a very minor thing I did to myself, so I wonder if it has happened to anyone else.

Once when changing the cabin air filter behind the glove box, while trying to reattach the string/spring thing that hooks into the side of the glove box to make it not drop when you open it, I let go by accident and that thing snapped back into itself and then proceeded to detach itself from the dash and has fallen down inside. I've actually no idea how far down it has gone because I can't feel it down in there, but I also can't get my fingers in there too far.

Has anyone else done this? And if so, how did you retrieve it?

(And I hope Jeep redesigned that thing in later models, because it is a PITA).

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Sorry for your trouble. I'm not sure how to get at it, though I've heard of this problem before on the forum. Perhaps a little searching here will lead you to a fix. In the future, when you change the filter, don't unhook the string. You can change the filter by taking out the shelf, and releasing the bin stops without unhooking the string. I do it every year in my '14. Here's a YouTube video showing the process, just don't unhook the dampener strings, or remove the bin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLOpPOve-A

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is probably sitting on top of the sound deadening cover above the pass. footwell. Remove that cover, or the glovebox door to retrieve it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You don't have to remove the glovebox but it is much better if you do... I let mine go once and had to tear part that area to get it back...Won't do that again !
Now when I change the filter. I unhook that strap and snap a tiny pair of Vice Grips to the cord/loop area and let it hang. Go about my business, then when done, reattach it. Have never lost it since. Experience is the best teacher !

·
Registered
1 Posts

I've got a 2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. This is a very minor thing I did to myself, so I wonder if it has happened to anyone else.

Once when changing the cabin air filter behind the glove box, while trying to reattach the string/spring thing that hooks into the side of the glove box to make it not drop when you open it, I let go by accident and that thing snapped back into itself and then proceeded to detach itself from the dash and has fallen down inside. I've actually no idea how far down it has gone because I can't feel it down in there, but I also can't get my fingers in there too far.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, just happened to me. Haven't figured out where it is or what to do about it yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Th
Literally happened to me one hour ago! Unable to retrieve it. Just remember to hold glove box and not let it drop when opening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts