Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a search on autotrader for GC diesel nation wide: 536 in total, of which 119 brand new 2018s. There are quite a few new Summit at $49-50k, which is way below MSRP. I would believe one could buy a new 2018 Summit diesel nowadays for $45k or so with some negotiation. Also there are used ones for around $20k with low miles (20k miles).
So from what I see here’s the opportunity to buy a diesel at bargain price. I was a fan of diesel in 2017 when I bought my hemi, but I’m very happy with it and will keep it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I made a search on autotrader for GC diesel nation wide: 536 in total, of which 119 brand new 2018s. There are quite a few new Summit at $49-50k, which is way below MSRP. I would believe one could buy a new 2018 Summit diesel nowadays for $45k or so with some negotiation. Also there are used ones for around $20k with low miles (20k miles).
So from what I see here’s the opportunity to buy a diesel at bargain price. I was a fan of diesel in 2017 when I bought my hemi, but I’m very happy with it and will keep it.
With 93K o my Summit diesel, I may just start looking at a leftover. Mine has been great with the GDE.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
My 2014 Limited Ecodiesel gets traded on 12/2 for a 2020 GC Trailhawk Hemi. The Ecodiesel was a great engine until AEM at 94K, now with just 102K. I thought I would have it for 10 years and 250K. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2019 in Scottsdale AZ but did not have time to drive from Houston or a desire to pay additional 2.5% sales tax. It was identical to my 2014 and offered at 20% off MSRP, which is about 15% off invoice. Black Friday ads in Houston had some 2019s at 25%off MRSP. There are deals to be had.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
2 questions....
Is it a foregone conclusion that there will not be a diesel offering in the new WL series?
Is there any reason to think these newer 2018+ EcoD's perform any better than the AEM doctored ones we have now?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,168 Posts
Local dealer to me has two 2018 3.0 Sterlings for $40k. No tow packs unfortunately. I imagine you could get them to shuffle those guys before the end of the year.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
2 questions....
Is it a foregone conclusion that there will not be a diesel offering in the new WL series?
Is there any reason to think these newer 2018+ EcoD's perform any better than the AEM doctored ones we have now?
From what I've read and reports from dealerships, the EcoD will NOT be offered on the WL in its first year and likely not thereafter. According to another thread, the diesel produced for 2020 is Gen3, which includes improvements. However, if the emissions equipment hardware and EPA-required calibration remain, so do risk of costly repairs. I thought the current AEM issues were only with short-drive commuters, but owners using EcoD for mostly trailer tow and long distance trips are also experiencing regen and DPF issues. A client of mine reported his brother had $10K repair bill on his Ram at 120K miles with no extended warranty and pre-AEM. I don't trust FCA to support the EcoD platform long term.

I went with the 2020 Hemi because I know what I am getting in both style and performance with ample aftermarket products available. After a 1995 first-year Tahoe and the 2014 GC refresh experience, I prefer not to purchase first-year anything. We still don't know what styling changes might be made with the WL. With retirement in a year or two, the 2020 suits my circumstances well.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I like the Hemi too, but for long-distance traveling, the EcoD fits us perfectly. The range and economy can’t be beat. So I guess the question is is the eco-D engines that are available in the above units 2018 and newer, better performance wise, and do not suffer from the same post AEM issues that 2014 to 2016 Drivers are experiencing..... I would have no problem buying a brand new 2018 or 2019 if the engine performance was to the pre-AEM 2014 level........

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the Hemi too, but for long-distance traveling, the EcoD fits us perfectly. The range and economy can’t be beat. So I guess the question is is the eco-D engines that are available in the above units 2018 and newer, better performance wise, and do not suffer from the same post AEM issues that 2014 to 2016 Drivers are experiencing..... I would have no problem buying a brand new 2018 or 2019 if the engine performance was to the pre-AEM 2014 level........
Actually I find the hemi a lot better than expected in terms of gas mileage for long distance traveling. I was on a trip to Alaska this summer, 9,200 miles in total and was amazed to see the mpg in the low 20s constantly even though I made no effort to accomplish that. I drove in the 70s and 80s most of the way and where the higher speed was not possible I almost reached 25 mpg (on display). At home with regular driving I get 18s and 19s, but long-distance the hemi is simply amazing. Besides that it is a lot more refined than the diesel and super fast in sport mode when needed. I bought it at the advice of a friend, although I wanted a diesel which was not sold in 2017. If you drive it long distance, the hemi is a great choice, however I wouldn't say the same for city driving. I was also able to get the life time max care, which gives me the peace of mind that I'll never have to worry about non-maintenance repairs.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I owned a 2011 hemi ram and it truly was a great vehicle. But it was $100 a week gas habit. Plus with putting 89 or higher octane in it it drove the cost per gallon past what diesel is currently. Again it really was a great truck, but I dumped a lot of fuel through it. I couldn’t get 15 miles per gallon with a 40 mile an hour tailwind...
With the EcoD I can go 675 miles a tank, bypassing congested areas, because I HAVE to stop for fuel, all while cruising at 80-85. Agreed, that it’s not a hemi, but it will move along smartly as good as I have ever needed over 90K of trips so far. I’m going to miss it if another isn’t available..potentially switching to an Aviator..
it’s had its problems and its quirks, but by and large it’s been a pretty dependable vehicle from -15 to 100° and the worst problem we have had has been the AEM issue really.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I owned a 2011 hemi ram and it truly was a great vehicle. But it was $100 a week gas habit. Plus with putting 89 or higher octane in it it drove the cost per gallon past what diesel is currently. Again it really was a great truck, but I dumped a lot of fuel through it. I couldn’t get 15 miles per gallon with a 40 mile an hour tailwind...
With the EcoD I can go 675 miles a tank, bypassing congested areas, because I HAVE to stop for fuel, all while cruising at 80-85. Agreed, that it’s not a hemi, but it will move along smartly as good as I have ever needed over 90K of trips so far. I’m going to miss it if another isn’t available..potentially switching to an Aviator..
it’s had its problems and its quirks, but by and large it’s been a pretty dependable vehicle from -15 to 100° and the worst problem we have had has been the AEM issue really.....
Did you get the 675 miles with emission mods, or stock?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Stock unfortunately, I’m at about 580 now. Certainly not as good as it was that’s why am wondering if 2018 2019 diesels would be better...I’d consider looking at one if they were.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
74 Posts
And a horrible time to unload one. Paid $54k for an overland in June 14 and this past June looking to trade it in (75kmiles and in very good shape), all they will give me is $18k at best.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Stebentoak, the AEM was the only significant issue I had as well. It was bittersweet to let mine go today. From the time of the AEM announcement (1/22/19 - 89,993 miles) through AEM claim (6/4/19 - 95,430 miles) and claim payment (9/29/19 - 99,182 miles), the value of my 2014 Limited EcoDiesel dropped more than 40%, primarily due to high mileage. However, that was a primary reason for choosing the diesel. The $3K wasn't nearly enough compensation, considering the time FCA took to process and pay valid claims.

I wonder what type of long term service the rock crawling Wranglers will get out of the EcoDiesel, considering the slow pace of the recreational activity. Perhaps Gen3 will prove the EcoDiesel is back and be the reliable platform we all anticipated in 2013.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Stebentoak, the AEM was the only significant issue I had as well. It was bittersweet to let mine go today. From the time of the AEM announcement (1/22/19 - 89,993 miles) through AEM claim (6/4/19 - 95,430 miles) and claim payment (9/29/19 - 99,182 miles), the value of my 2014 Limited EcoDiesel dropped more than 40%, primarily due to high mileage. However, that was a primary reason for choosing the diesel. The $3K wasn't nearly enough compensation, considering the time FCA took to process and pay valid claims.

I wonder what type of long term service the rock crawling Wranglers will get out of the EcoDiesel, considering the slow pace of the recreational activity. Perhaps Gen3 will prove the EcoDiesel is back and be the reliable platform we all anticipated in 2013.
Well I have an interested private party that wants mine and will give me a fair price, if I'm interested in selling this spring...But, If I can't replace it with the same (or something that runs like pre AEM ! )
I might just keep it and get some good out of the extended warranty. It's worth more to me to keep it and keep it going vs what little I'll get for it. Everything else works great on it !
Its just too bad the AEM took a huge toll on its drivability…. I've always been a fan of this vehicle and enjoyed owning it, although its getting harder.. !

·
Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
1,226 Posts
We love our JGC and, fortunately, have an excellent dealer 3 miles from us. SO FAR, we experienced zero post AEM issues and only one regen notice on the EVIC. We decided we will keep the JGC and our Lance travel trailer combo for another 2 years. This will leave some warranty on the vehicle when we sell/trade it in. Although, given FCA'S own "Dieselgate" and their initial 3.0 VM substandard diesel emissions systems engineering, whether it will be another FCA vehicle is still under review/discussion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is what we were getting on our stock 2018 HA on a long trip back in Aug (converts to ~28 mpg) - not that I 100% believe it, but we were getting over 700 miles to a tank, with an average speed of ~73 mph for ~ the last 400 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's 28.4 mpg and the display usually "cheats" by 1 mpg, so real might be around 27 mpg or more. That's pretty good.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's 28.4 mpg and the display usually "cheats" by 1 mpg, so real might be around 27 mpg or more. That's pretty good.
That's why I'm thinking 2018-2019 EcoD's could be "Better" ? They are not affected by AEM protocol?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Last week returned from 1900 mile trip.
San Francisco to Victoria Canada and back.
31.7 mpg using mileage keeper phone app. Speeds 65 to 80 mph most of trip. With mountain passes included.
AEM was preformed in June, 8000 miles ago. Have not had EVIC message,
Jeep has run great after AEM, only thing I notice, if in 8th gear going up hills, if motor lugs slightly, down shifts to 7th gear.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
For the 6 years I owned my Jeep EcoD, I kept a mileage and maintenance log that included fuel cost and MPG for EVIC and calculated values. I was surprised how close EVIC and CALC were
Lifetime MPG:
EVIC 24.345
CALC 24.317
Total operational cost per month: $ 721 includes vehicle, fuel, maintenance, and interest

1 - 20 of 25 Posts