Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to dinner tonight a guy in a Ford Explorer sport was driving like an @ss and cut me off. He took off from a couple of stop lights so I figured at the first opportunity I had I would try to pull up next to him and see what the Explorer was all about. (while I was behind him I noticed that it was the ecoboost;assuming the 3.5) So I knew he would most likely hit it off the line so I was ready and actually jumped him on the green, and had him by 1/2 a length. By 25mph he was even with me and continued to pull.. I shut it down at 55mph and he had 3-4 lengths on me.. Needless to say I was very disappointed.

* I know the Jeep is an SUV, 4x4, luxury blah blah, but I figured the HEMI would have eaten him up. I guess the only replacement for displacement is a turbo:slapfight:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks. lol
Seriously! I was pretty embarrassed lol. I really need Diablo to figure out the 2011 ECM issue and hope that I can get a custom tune from Hemifever.. However I dont think the baddest tune from Sean would have helped in this case.. That thing, dipped out on me lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Hemi seems to make it money on the higher end, try to find one of those Explorers on the highway and I bet you bury it right around 80.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Hemi seems to make it money on the higher end, try to find one of those Explorers on the highway and I bet you bury it right around 80.
How can you be so sure, and what about beyond 80 mph? The tires on the Explorer Sport have higher speed rating than our Jeeps (except SRT's), and most likely its speed governor is set to a higher speed than our HEMI's are, meaning the HEMI will cut off at 112 mph and the Explorer Sport will keep going.

The truth is our HEMI's are a joke as far acceleration from a stand still. Chrysler did a terrible job with the 5/6 speed transmission on the HEMI (can't comment on the new 8 speed), and don't tell me it's because of fuel savings because other SUV's in the same category (similar power and weight) attain better mileage and are faster.

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,014 Posts
its still an exploder......barf. I don't care how fast it is....its still a CAR...not an suv

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its still an exploder......barf. I don't care how fast it is....its still a CAR...not an suv
My exact thoughts! Props to Ford and the ecoboost engine.

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,014 Posts
yeah....cool engine...but it has many faults. Didn't they just recall them or something? I know many of the truck guys are having problems....or that's what I hear.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I drive a 2012 F150 with the Ecoboost. There were some issues with the Intercooler which Ford has since redesigned. I had the IC replaced in mine and it's fine now. It has 420 lb/ft of torque and it's funny because I get alot of guys in Range Rovers trying to race me but I beat them every time. Very funny.

I love the GC however as my next vehicle. I'm in sales and the truck is a little impractical when trying to park in tight urban parking lots

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,014 Posts
I bet that is great in a truck!

·
Registered
GC Limited
71 Posts
Since i've had my 14 with the v6 i've been toasted many times. I traded in a 2011 kia sorento with a v6 AWD and its was so much faster, i think the 0-60 was about 6sec and topped out at 130. but like Scott said, its a car and ment for differant duty. im sure we can take them on the trails. On a side note i've hit about 118 +/-with the 2014.

·
Registered
Limited 4x4
1,057 Posts
The only thing I've (barely) beat with mine was a Ranger (4.0), and 2nd Gen Ram (5.2 or 5.9?). The WK2 is not geared for stoplight races. I've surprised many with my Ram (3.92s) on the other hand. I have the small 17" wheels, and it jumps nicely.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
Does the 8spd Trans make that much of a difference? I dusted my friends 2013 both have the Hemi maybe he just can't drive I don't know. he's been bothering me ever since i got mine to compare them off the line. I'm no racer I bought JGC to be able to go off road. I test drove a sport explorer I wasn't impressed it's just a lifted ford Taurus right? Not really a fan of front wheel drive/all wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
GC Limited
71 Posts
the 8 spd does make a difference but theres also another gear before 60, with the 14s you need to be in sport mode or the shifts are week, even flooring it with eco on the power and shifts just are not there, in sport mode it shifts fast and hard at the red line.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
Yeah I was in sport mode but it wasn't even a race he was in my rear view the entire way I got up to 80 and shut her down he probably just can't press the gas hard enough :) or his shit is broke already

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.