Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 14 Summit GC and there are 2 annoying things about uconnect that I hope can be answered:

1) Uconnect does not go into night mode when set on Auto and it's dark outside. I always have to do it manually. Could it be a bad light sensor? The headlights are set to auto so they turn on when it's dark. But the uconnect display stays in day mode even though the Auto checkbox is selected.

2) I can't turn the radio off. I can only put it on mute or turn the volume all the way down. There does not seem to be an off switch. Is this how it's supposed to be?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
1) If you carefully read the owners manual section on setting up the display brightness, you will find out how to set it the way you want it. I'll be the first to admit the set-up is a little confusing, but it works.

2) You can't turn it off.

Both of these questions are covered extensively in other threads. Welcome to the forum :), and check out the search function, it's very helpful.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,869 Posts
What you call the radio is the heart and soul of the uConnect system. It has to stay on, and you get a mute button and another button to shut off the screen.

I have my night mode set to auto, and when the headlights come on, everything on the dash goes to the brightness I have set on the dial.

My only complaint is that they don't have a separate button to keep the light off when you open the door. When I have that set and start my car in the garage, even my backup camera is dark, because the headlights come on.

The only other suv I had that didn't have a separate button ... Was my other Jeep.:(

---

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
My only complaint is that they don't have a separate button to keep the light off when you open the door. When I have that set and start my car in the garage, even my backup camera is dark, because the headlights come on.

The only other suv I had that didn't have a separate button ... Was my other Jeep.:(

---
Bill, I might be misunderstanding you here, but, I get the back-up camera image bright while backing out of my garage by switching the headlight control from auto to off till I clear the garage.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,869 Posts
Bill, I might be misunderstanding you here, but, I get the back-up camera image bright while backing out of my garage by switching the headlight control from auto to off till I clear the garage.
You are not misunderstanding me. But if I have to turn my auto headlights off to back out of my garage, they kinda lose the advantage of being auto. So, I do it the old fashioned way, I close my eyes and hit the gas ... I mean I use the mirrors. :lol:

I also leave my HVAC on auto, 68 year round. And if they would let us default eco to off I would never need anything but the start button and the vr button.

---

·
Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
Not sure if I'm understanding your problem with your day light mode. Have you tried using the interior light switch to adjust the screen that was my problem when I thought it was stuck in day time mode just move the dial down it will click out off full bright

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
So, I do it the old fashioned way, I close my eyes and hit the gas ... :lol:
---
So, you're the one who taught my wife how to back out of the garage! You should see the tire tracks in the pachysandra along our driveway! :slapfight:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What you call the radio is the heart and soul of the uConnect system. It has to stay on, and you get a mute button and another button to shut off the screen.

I have my night mode set to auto, and when the headlights come on, everything on the dash goes to the brightness I have set on the dial.

---
While it may be the heart and soul of everything, 95% of people don't want to hear the radio ALL the time. You push mute, next time you start her up, the radio's back on. You turn the volume all the way down, yeah it's like it's turned off, but it's not psychologically off. I need that satisfaction of knowing the radio's off. All the fords I've rented who have almost the same system these days still let you push a fake power button to turn the radio off. It's just one of those things that people like me need, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,869 Posts
While it may be the heart and soul of everything, 95% of people don't want to hear the radio ALL the time. You push mute, next time you start her up, the radio's back on. You turn the volume all the way down, yeah it's like it's turned off, but it's not psychologically off. I need that satisfaction of knowing the radio's off. All the fords I've rented who have almost the same system these days still let you push a fake power button to turn the radio off. It's just one of those things that people like me need, I suppose.
l guess you'll have to buy a Ford. :)

I never thought about the mute button not remaining set at start up. My radio always stays on with the volume up.

I wonder if that is software upgradeable to let the default be mute.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
I love this thread, any time I can see Jacko and Bill go back and forth makes my day!

OK, on the UConnect, someone gave me the rundown. I shouldn't call it a radio at all... It is a touch screen with vehicle controls. It has connections for FM etc going into it but the major part of the radio (the amplifier section) is in the trunk and it has all kinds of power management.

Now as for recalling the amplifier "sleeping of muted" state, I will look into this more.

proceed back to the muse, this was good reading.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah, the radio coming back on when you restart the car after it was muted is pretty retarded functionality. Scared the heck out of me once or twice too. :lol:

That and the Eco mode setting being "reset" each time you restart the car. What were the engineers thinking? I'm a little surprised the windows don't automatically go down and the highbeams and turn signals don't turn on each time the car is started. ;)

I contacted Chrysler asking if they'd change this by the way, hopefully they will in a future software update.

·
Registered
764 Posts
as far as the "night mode" make sure the interior setting wheel (next to HL control) is not locked on full blast (all the way up) - mine was... took me a min to figure that one out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
That and the Eco mode setting being "reset" each time you restart the car. What were the engineers thinking? I'm a little surprised the windows don't automatically go down and the highbeams and turn signals don't turn on each time the car is started. ;)
I can understand why they did it, but there should be something in the settings to turn this "auto-on" OFF.

I noticed three Uconnect quirks while on vacation.

1) Sometimes if we stopped for lunch/dinner/restroom, we got back in the vehicle and the NAV had forgotten we were going somewhere and I had to reprogram it to our destination

2) When the NAV is in the middle of saying something (I don't recall why it was in "talking" mode, but was silent for a few minutes but you could tell the NAV audio channel was open, since the driver's side audio was reduced -- perhaps we weren't moving) I couldn't change the volume of the music that was on and had to mute everything.

3) Playing music from the iPod, every few songs the music would stop for 4-5 seconds, then stutter, then keep going.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Some other quirks (again, I have 5.0):

1) I store my music on a flash drive that I keep plugged in to the system all the time. Sometimes I'll do something with the equalizer or something and when I get back to the "now playing" screen it will just say "reading USB" (the song still plays though) until I press the Media button again.

2) It sometimes forgets what the last song being played was, and the position it was at, when the car was turned off. Sometimes it'll start at the right point; other times it will start at the beginning of the song; other times it will start at the beginning of the album, and other times it will play the song that was playing when I turned off the car before, or maybe the song that was playing when I first turned on the car.

3) It'd be nice if it would recognize that no changes were made to the USB drive and keep everything in memory, rather than (presumably) re-reading the contents from the drive each time, which, with my flash drive, can take around 30 seconds or so before all of the artists/albums/songs are populated in the system and I can select the song I want.

4) The boot-up screen could be nicer. Maybe a cool animation or something, like with Microsoft Windows. Right now each time I start the car it shows a long disclaimer, then the "Accept" button, which then goes away after a couple seconds even if I don't press it.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,607 Posts
1) If you carefully read the owners manual section on setting up the display brightness, you will find out how to set it the way you want it. I'll be the first to admit the set-up is a little confusing, but it works.

2) You can't turn it off.

Both of these questions are covered extensively in other threads. Welcome to the forum :), and check out the search function, it's very helpful.
Wonder if that ambulance chaser is still lurking for class action participants.
One has just been filed against Ford for their MyTouch

"the system freezes up, malfunctions, blacks out and fails to connect with mobile devices. The complaint said system flaws have created "significant safety risks" for drivers, diverting their attention from the road when the product malfunctions and failing to contact 911 during emergencies as designed."

Waaaahhh! Moooommmmmmeeeeeeee!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.