Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

GPS Issue

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BobM 
#1 · (Edited)
Just took delivery of my TH 2/27/18. I flew up to Spokane and drove back to Tucson (1600 miles). While I researched my general route home on Google maps, I was relying on the TH's GPS to guide me home with the detailed specifics.

I have used the GPS in my 2014 SRT with no issues so I thought this was a good plan. However, I ran into an issue with the TH's GPS. It took me a little bit to realize what it was doing, but to generalize - if your route was to take a turn at an approaching intersection, the GPS would tell you to turn before the turn you would normally take and zigzag down lateral streets in an effort to "cut" the corner. Perhaps that route was shorter (I can't say for sure), but that is highly undesirable with all the stop and go, slower speeds, and various turns.

As you can imagine, this GPS philosophy is catastrophic when approaching an interchange on the other side of a city. It leads you through city crosstown traffic, when it should have led you on a bypass around the city.
I first experienced that through Boise, Vegas, Phoenix among other situations. It must have added a few hours onto my drive time (not to mention the frustration factor).

I tried to find a setting in the maps set up that would select "save time" rather than "shortest distance" (or any other potential option), but found nothing that would work. It even does it in my local eighborhood. As I said, I never noticed that issue in my SRT which I recently sold, so I am stumped.

Has anyone experienced this? And has anyone found a solution? This just can't be right.

See less See more
#2 ·
Judging by the lack of responses, I wonder if that is because nobody has this issue, or nobody has put their GPS to the test.

Do me a favor and set your GPS to a destination that you regularly visit. Let me know if it takes you on a convoluted path. Thanks.

#4 ·
I have not experienced this and my navigation works way better than my 2012. You are correct there is no way to adjust for fastest route vs shortest distance. It does it automatically.

#7 ·
I too use waze. I wish waze app was included in Apple car play

#10 · (Edited)
It works fine on mine. Google Maps also. I think I even found myself running both simultaneously at some point -- i.e., Google Maps on the screen with Waze "police reported ahead" warnings coming through the speaker. (But maybe I dreamed that, it was a while ago.)

Disclaimer: I don't have a Trackhawk, just a lowly Limited. But the head unit's not any different, is it?

#11 ·
This is genius. I will start doing the same!

#12 ·
Mine does exactly the same. It’s really a fundamental design error by Panasonic.
There needs to be the old option to select from route types: freeway/no freeway, shortest route, quickest route.
I will start using the Waze app on Google.
You have to plug in phone to the USB port up front to get this to work right...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.