Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall back when the 2011 Grand Cherokee was intro'ed, there was "talk" that it actually was built on a Mercedes ML350 chassis.

Was this actually true and if so, are they still being built on that chassis.??

·
The Negotiator
5,350 Posts
Yes, Mercedes SUV and Grand Cherokee share the same platform

Reactions: Phil Howell

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does Mercedes still make the transmission - I see it's made in Germany. Or does Jeep now have rights to the design and someone else is building it? Never considered Mercedes the "highest mark of quality" but curious to know -

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
Does Mercedes still make the transmission - I see it's made in Germany. Or does Jeep now have rights to the design and someone else is building it? Never considered Mercedes the "highest mark of quality" but curious to know -
ZF designed the trannies. Right now they build them for the V8 and crd. Chrysler is building them for the V6. Eventually Chrysler will build them all.

If you look on the order sheet for a '14, it will say buy or build next to the trans.

Their website;

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/homepage/homepage.html

·
Waggie
3,221 Posts
Most if not every bolt takes a metric wrench, most underhood and under chassis parts say Germany, and IMO, Chryco owes a bit of gratitude to the DaimlerChrysler era which brought tight handling and refinements not seen in years in Detroit. Yes, it otherwise was a contentious merger. That said, the trickle down was good enough to get us and many here out of German sedans and SUV's and into the WK2.

Merc/WK2 Monster thread here: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/might-as-well-call-it-a-mercedes-grand-cherokee-25812.html

·
Registered
941 Posts
pfft, Mercedes needed Jeep's help to make a respectable SUV. Not the other way around.
lol, I dunno about all that.

Saying they're on the same platform is a bit of a stretch too. Do they share similarities? Sure. But saying they're on the same platform is a bit misleading, they're on related platforms but they're not on the same platform like say, Charger and 300 (which incidentally borrowed a bunch from MB's platform as well).

Regardless of who helped design what, they're totally different in feel. I specifically bought the Jeep because it did NOT ride anything like the ML. So you can believe that your Jeep is a rebadged Merc or whatever if you want, but know that it isn't, and be glad it isn't, because if it was it'd ride like a wagon on stilts, not like a tough truck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Several years ago I installed a receiver hitch on my wife's 2008 Town & Country. Put it on the rack and was amazed at how many chassis parts were actually identified as being M-B and yes, you need metric tools.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts