Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty much set on an Overland until I saw a 4 door evoque driving the other guy...pretty little thing.

Both seem to be in the same price range (overland/summit) and that little evoque can sure handle its own offroad.

Its quicker and better MPG than the GC, not to mention more stylish.

I have no idea about reliability, but the reviews are all very positive and both cars are in the same class in terms true on and off road performance.

I guess it suffers in the towing department, but I don't tow anything.

Has anyone here considered it?

·
The "REAL" JeepGarage Founder
1,379 Posts
This is a JEEP forum. Sounds like its better in every aspect and it's "pretty". You should buy it.

·
Registered
Cherokee
1,809 Posts
then why even post this question here? sounds like your mind is made up.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
It sounds like a fair question for a Jeep forum. Where else would you go to find people who thought about the Evoque and decided on the Grand Cherokee. If I was in Vangaurd's position I would want to hear why people decided against it. He already knows what makes it attractive.

My only experience with the brand was from years ago as an auto adjuster. While they were advertising their great off road capability, we were writing $3000+ estimates on vehicles that hit a New York City pot hole. Of course, NYC roads can offer a bigger challenge than any off road course. :)

·
Registered
Cherokee
1,809 Posts
It sounds like a fair question for a Jeep forum. Where else would you go to find people who thought about the Evoque and decided on the Grand Cherokee. If I was in Vangaurd's position I would want to hear why people decided against it. He already knows what makes it attractive.

My only experience with the brand was from years ago as an auto adjuster. While they were advertising their great off road capability, we were writing $3000+ estimates on vehicles that hit a New York City pot hole. Of course, NYC roads can offer a bigger challenge than any off road course. :)

LOL always one for the people bill!

·
Registered
'10 GC SRT-8
322 Posts
For me the biggest issue with the Evoque is the size; it's definitely more form than function. The other issue for me is the price. It's probably somewhat irrational since it is still a Land Rover, but a compact SUV that starts at $42k without any options is still a tough pill for me to swallow. But if neither of those things are a concern to you, you really can't go wrong with either choice.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The sunroof doesn't even open, right? It's just a glass roof? Seems kind of pointless to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Besides off road capability they are in a totally different class of vechicles due to size. The Evoque is MUCH smaller in both cargo and passenger compartments.
The Land Rover will likely cost a lot more to repair as well.

·
Registered
'14 wht/blu Overland
210 Posts
Looks are definitely a personal matter; I think they're ugly, and if you like the look then good on you. Visibility is extremely poor due to the high belt line. Interior is relatively small. Oh, and it was co-designed by David Beckham's wife. So if you want to be associated with any of that...

Now the new Range Rover on the other hand. I want I want I want!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was originally looking at an Evoque but ended up ordering a Overland. I test drove one and was impressed but there are some drawbacks. Positive items for me were: a great interior, 17 speakers, 5 cameras, 28 MPG. Negatives: First on my list are price, costly dealer service and questionable reliability. The trunk space is small and the rear seats do not fold flat.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
VERY different vehicles. The Evoque is cool, I've driven one, but it is MUCH smaller than the GC. Interior volume is more like an X1, or a Ford Escape... Very high style, competent ride and drive. Range Rover has had LOTS of reliability and quality problems, but so has Chrysler/Jeep. I would expect similar reliability from both, not perfect, but okay. You're going to have little electrical things and small components that fail in both. You're going to see the dealer with either vehicle.

You'll get better/more consistent quality dealer service with the Evoque...but it will cost more.

If its just you or a spouse, etc, get the Evoque. One of the reasons we got the GC though was to have something big enough to go on vacation with a family member or two and the dog and all our stuff, the Evoque is too small for that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Evoque is a very nice vehicle but a more direct comparison would be the Range Rover Sport to GC Overland.

I see the Evoque almost like an Apple product. The money is not in the hardware but rather in the aesthetics.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If the money isn't a factor, buy the Evoque. An Evoque equipped nicely is like $60k.

If the Evoque is too small, buy the new LR2. They upgraded it with the same powertrain and a nicer interior, so you'll get similar fuel economy with more space.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this... if you start adding Jeep GC costs from base and include comparable options you'll ultimately find yourself in Land Rover territory. Don't just stop at the Evoque, look up through the LR4 model.

1. Land Rover (The Box) ...

A LR will cost you more. However given the brand recognition, the standard center locking and optional rear locking differential, you can get into a respectable LR4 off-road/luxury vehicle for approx $55K. Keep in mind the LR4 has the best and most comfortable seats on the planet - not to mention folding 2nd and 3rd row seats. I would also challenge other brands to match LR quality such as paint, driver comfort, steering feedback and solid feel. The LR4 however has Jag's 5.0L with direct port fuel injection .. not sure how that's working for them.

2. Jeep (The Crossover?) ...

A comparable top of line 2014 GC Summit will cost you $54.6K (MSRP); $51K (invoice); with the forced bundled options. However, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit has some shortcomings in terms of off-road ability.. hence the lack of center and rear locking diffs. Plus I dislike the "default" Hemi fuel management system. It will cost you $4.5K more to get into a CRD to avoid that cluster.

3. Summary ...

Your best bet is to remain objective, compare side by side and add things up, including insurance cost. Drive both on the same day. I wouldn't rule out the LR based on service history... it's not like Jeep has a good reputation in the service department.

KBB MSRP:
2013 LR4 HSE = $56.6K
2014 GC Summit = $54.6K

Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I sat in a Range Rover sport and an Evoque at the auto show and if you're a bigger guy stay away.

Before settling on a 2014 Limited I test drove a Cadillac SRX and Toyota 4runner. The SRX was pretty nice but I have read snow driving concerns with its AWD system. The 4runner drove pretty nice actually but is disappointing interior wise. The new Jeep has the 4x4 capability of a 4runner/LR with the technology of the Cadillac...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The Evoque is a very nice vehicle but a more direct comparison would be the Range Rover Sport to GC Overland.
Not really, the Range Rover Sport is much higher performance, and much higher priced than a GC.

A Land Rover LR4 is a better comparison with the Overland or Summit Jeep.

a990dna said:
A LR will cost you more. However given the brand recognition, the standard center locking and optional rear locking differential, you can get into a respectable LR4 off-road/luxury vehicle for approx $55K. Keep in mind the LR4 has the best and most comfortable seats on the planet - not to mention folding 2nd and 3rd row seats. I would also challenge other brands to match LR quality such as paint, driver comfort, steering feedback and solid feel. The LR4 however has Jag's 5.0L with direct port fuel injection .. not sure how that's working for them.
All very good points.

FAUEE said:
If the money isn't a factor, buy the Evoque. An Evoque equipped nicely is like $60k.
$54k absolutely loaded Prestige model. The lower models are very well equipped, you can get a very well optioned Evoque for under $50k.

·
Registered
Jeep WK2 Limited 5.7
75 Posts
If you're a "Yuppie" get the Evoque, If you're truly a gear head get the Jeep!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts