Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I hope this thread is OK to post in here as I have had no responses about this problem elsewhere.
We have a 2015 JGC Overland V6 Ecodiesel 70,000km in Australia. We have just finished 30,000km towing a 3.2 t (7000lb) caravan. Near new Goodyear Wrangler tires front and rear with only a few thousand kms on them. Towed 40,000km with caravan and no problems.
It has now started getting a severe vibration and rumbling at the rear while under heavy load accelerating or towing up a steep hill with the van behind. Occurs from 50-100kph.
We are on the 3rd rear driveshaft. What do I do next? The last drive-shaft lasted few hundred km's and the front CV was seizing up and the center support bearing rubber was torn.
The Jeep Dealer mechanic has been fantastic. Changed TC and gearbox oils both clean. Checked all the mounts. Maybe run it on a dyno?
The vibration and rumbling sounds like what happens with mismatched front and rear tires I imagine. The rear drive shaft shakes so hard under load its dislodging the center shaft support bearing from the rubber mount. Can the front driveshaft cause these problems? Is the TC going bad?
Normal driving is fine no problem.
Anyone seen anything like this? Any responses would be nice. Maybe more of a SRT problem? Waiting for Jeep Australia's advice.
We want to get on the road again as we love our Jeep and like giving the Toyota Land-Cruiser owners a hard time!
Sorry about the metrics!
John

·
Registered
JGC Overland
364 Posts
I am having what I think is a less severe, but similar issue. I am getting a shuddering, mostly at highway speeds...not terrible but enough to notice. I looked under the vehicle and it looks like that carrier bearing is wearing out as there is witness of black rubber or some other material getting "sprayed" away from the driveshaft under centrifugal force. I'm hoping its a bad bearing and not a symptom of some other issue, such as a bad drive shaft.

Have you found what your issue is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had something similar on my V6 '15 Summit 2x4. I had a shudder that was really only noticeable at light acceleration. Took it to the dealer and turns out the drive shaft needed to be replaced under warranty. Hopefully it's a one time event.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My vibration was under heavy load towing 2-3000rpm range and in any gear. Ive had 3 new drive shafts put in and they all go bad after less than 100miles. The CV joints are partially seizing and the whole shaft gets the wobbles and tears up the hanger support bearing rubber.
If there's grease coming out the rubber boot is bad and the CV joint will destroy itself pretty quickly.
We are currently towing the van using a borrowed driveshaft and all is good. These newer shafts are not up to it. The Jeep Tech Rep (Melbourne AU) is onto it. Jeep got a new Vendor and their driveshafts are faulty. They are OK as long as you don't load them up.
I'm in Australia and a lot of people tow 7000lb vans here so Jeep needs to realize this. Not many Rams around here!

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
435 Posts
MIne is doing this when I take my foot off the gas, just took it in and they are replacing the rear drive shaft. I had a vibration before and they replaced the main drive shaft.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,462 Posts
MIne is doing this when I take my foot off the gas, just took it in and they are replacing the rear drive shaft. I had a vibration before and they replaced the main drive shaft.
I'm confused? Which is the "main drive shaft", if anything I'd think that would be the rear driveshaft.

Perhaps you meant one of the rear half-shafts / CV shafts / axle shafts when you mentioned "rear drive shaft"?

Angles can be very important with driveshaft, especially the old u-joints. I think the rear driveshaft on the WK2 are CV joints, but even the CV Joints, angles being off can wear them out prematurely. The WK2 rear driveshaft is also segmented, which complicates things as well, since the old standard of the transmission and axle flange have to be parallel doesn't hold true anymore.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
364 Posts
So it turns out that my draft shaft finally went bad. Always had a slight vibration intermittently when rolling down the highway, but it finally went bad. Rather suddenly started getting a light clanging noise coming from under the middle of the back seat and a very pronounced vibration on and off.

Jeep has 142K miles and is the 3.0 EcoDiesel. Somewhat surprisingly the drive shaft is different for each engine and 2WD/4WD.

·
Registered
GC Overland
2 Posts
Traveling in Tasmania in 2014 Overland and have had exactly the same problem as described above, where when towing with caravan had a sudden vibration that turned out to be a torn centre bearing mount on the tail shaft.
Had it replaced and failed again with exactly the same problem 300ks later.
Currently waiting on a replacement.
Any verdict as to what the cause has been.
John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: I think we have fixed it after several seized driveshafts and a lot of stuffing around. We have spoken with several Overland owners who have the same problem and have had success after replacing the cradle rubber bushes.

The rear cradle or sub-assembly was removed and all the rubber mounting bushes were replaced including the rear differential mounts. The new cradle bushes are slightly different and are hopefully more durable than the originals.

I can only assume that the load from the caravan was distorting and collapsing the bushes and upsetting the drive shaft (tail-shaft) geometry. The driveshaft would then start vibrating and tear up the center support bearing rubber bushing.
We haven't done much towing yet so far so good.

Jeep Australia are well aware of the problem and have stocks of driveshafts here.
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
I am also having what seems to be the same issue.
Was it a Jeep dealer that replaced the rear cradle bushes on the drive shaft? I'm only able to find after market units from the US
I am well out of warranty

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 GC SRT @ 98k miles. Rear driveshaft just went out going doing the highway. I started getting a drone that quickly developed into a severe vibration that felt like it would disassemble the rear axles. Took it to the dealer and said the rear driveshaft is bad, and the front one is starting to go out. What a shame. The way the car broke down all of a sudden does not inspire confidence. I was going to order single-piece aluminium shafts but was concerned with shipping time and clearance issues. There are OE style replacements from Dorman but the rear one is on backorder... Looks like I'm paying the dealer "tremendous amounts of money" as Trump would say :D

·
Registered
JGC Overland
364 Posts
This is a simple job. Order from an FCA parts supplier online (IE: partsmaven.com) and take it to an independent mechanic. Save hundreds.

·
Registered
475 Posts
2015 GC SRT @ 98k miles. Rear driveshaft just went out going doing the highway. I started getting a drone that quickly developed into a severe vibration that felt like it would disassemble the rear axles. Took it to the dealer and said the rear driveshaft is bad, and the front one is starting to go out. What a shame. The way the car broke down all of a sudden does not inspire confidence. I was going to order single-piece aluminium shafts but was concerned with shipping time and clearance issues. There are OE style replacements from Dorman but the rear one is on backorder... Looks like I'm paying the dealer "tremendous amounts of money" as Trump would say :D
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts