Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buying behavior shows I love Grand Cherokees. I'm in the 7th year of owning my fourth in a row, including the 2000, 1999, 2006 and 2014 models. The 1999 and 2014 were bought new, preodered, the 1999 and 2006 as late model used. I know I buy GCs because I feel they're an ideal blend of all weather and off road capability and pretty luxurious highway driving (my last three have been Limiteds). BUT . . . I have spent an awful lot on maintenance for the last three once they hit about 70,000 miles. The 1999 and 2006 had serious transmission and other issues, and in the past two years the 2014 has required costly electronic module replacements. Am I being foolishly brand loysl?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
You should try out of warranty BMW.
Try taking a Ford HD Pick Up in for a recall that's one reason why I switched from Ford to Ram P/U Trucks. I got a safety recall from Ford on my 95 F-250 XLT the dealer tried to say that because I wasn't the original owner they weren't allowed to repair it under the recall. So when I traded it in on my 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie I told the dealer, they laughed said it was okay, because they were going to auction it off. Only reason I traded it incas I had to get rid of it. I only have 2 parking spots here at my condo. I was going to donate it to the local DAV (Disabled American Veterans) and they didn't want it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try taking a Ford HD Pick Up in for a recall that's one reason why I switched from Ford to Ram P/U Trucks. I got a safety recall from Ford on my 95 F-250 XLT the dealer tried to say that because I wasn't the original owner they weren't allowed to repair it under the recall. So when I traded it in on my 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie I told the dealer, they laughed said it was okay, because they were going to auction it off. Only reason I traded it incas I had to get rid of it. I only have 2 parking spots here at my condo. I was going to donate it to the local DAV (Disabled American Veterans) and they didn't want it.
WTF, dealerships get paid for doing recalls by manufacturer. It does not matter if you are 10th owner. He must had different reason for this and made up BS excuse.
Maybe Ford does not pay well for recalls or this one required parts that were hard to get and he did not want to deal with this shit.
My wife's leased GLA250 was once recalled for some reason or other. The dealership did not fix the recall ever. Because they had no parts and the parts were not available. For some reason she keeps buying German cars (New Beetle, 128, GLA250, Macan S and she keeps talking about how much she wants Audi R8).
Beetle was pretty decent but after whole plastic panel fell out from the middle of ceiling on the console while she was driving it was a sign to get rid of it. BTW, when brake pedal sensor failed in Beetle it turned off turbo in the engine and put it into limp home mode. WTF.
In 128 the engine started disintegrating after 70K miles. After couple $2K+ repairs it was clear this car needed to be crushed.
GLA250 had collision warning/braking system that threw errors since first month of ownership. They never fixed it right for 3 years.
Macan just works, but it is still low mileage. It surprises me how well it handles and how well it is put together But **** it, I have 10hp more in my JGC ;-) and Macan cannot drive where JGC can.
In general I find American cars quite reliable. I had GTO for 8 years, my only problem was that I had to replace the battery once (as expected after like 5 years). Cadillac SRX4 - same thing, battery after around 4 years. Cadillac CTS-V Coupe - passenger seat sensor (I think I must have spilled a drink on the seat).
I hope my JGC doesn't disappoint me. The F part of FCA is a little scary (I came from Europe). But I also have extended warranty and I will probably get something new after it runs out, or if I ever have place to park more cars and get into offroading, my JGC will become a project car and I will get something fast for a daily driver. I miss my modded 650hp CTS-V ;-)
In the end every car hits a point where things start going wrong and they become money pits. Manufacturers have mostly incentives to keep them running well while still under warranty because they are on hook for repairs, so beyond warranty, all bets are off. In my experience 5+ years and 60K+ miles is where cars become headache, but it also all depends on maintenance and somewhat on manufacturer. Even if things start to break, it is still cheaper to keep fixing the car instead of buying new one, but I do not like playing roulette starting the car in the morning even if it is cheaper. Anyway, I think that 4runner, Landcruiser or Lexus GX would be little more reliable than Jeep, but I wouldn't keep it longer anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know it is new, but not a single issue in 10k miles and 18 months. Oil change every 5k miles for $50, beats the $500 every 5k miles from my sold Cayenne Diesel. I have no fear owning this for the long term, compared to a Porsche.

·
Registered
776 Posts
No issues with my ‘14 (even with air suspension) since purchased new in Oct. 2013 - only 24XXX miles and the MaxCare Lifetime are probably responsible for that!

·
Registered
53 Posts
My wife's 2005 4Runner with the 4.7 has over 200K and I wouldn't hesitate to head cross country in it tomorrow. Only thing we've done is replaced two timing belts (maintenance item every 90K). By far the best vehicle we've ever owned. She still insists she prefers it over our new '20 Limited. If this Jeep comes anywhere close, I'll be a believer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts