Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
11,615 Posts
Photos are hard to see details, but given the location and damage that is visible, I believe it will be fixed. It's just crumple zone and right front suspension/linkages that seem to have taken the brunt of the force...as they are designed to do.

Reactions: Deezy6

·
Registered
JGC
901 Posts
You didn't provide mileage. Also, couldn't tell from the video if the airbags blew .. if so, then definitely totaled.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you want it totaled, get it to a shop you trust that does impeccable work and let them know you want it done pushing for that resolution. If you don’t, well, you can look for a lower tier shop and hope for the best. Also, shops charge $100 - $200 a day for storage. Getting that meter running by having it at a shop will help push you to a total if you can’t continue to drive it given the damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want it totaled, get it to a shop you trust that does impeccable work and let them know you want it done pushing for that resolution. If you don’t, well, you can look for a lower tier shop and hope for the best. Also, shops charge $100 - $200 a day for storage. Getting that meter running by having it at a shop will help push you to a total if you can’t continue to drive it given the damage.
I appreciate the advice, definitely don’t want it totaled.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I appreciate the advice, definitely don’t want it totaled.
I’ve been there a few times over the years. Had a 2002 MDX that was a great vehicle. Kept it 20 years and finally lost it to due to an accident that resulted in a total due to its value at its age / mileage. If you don’t want it totaled, get estimates from a few places and see where they come in. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just looked at the video and have to say I agree w Jim. Unless there is hidden frame damage, it looks repairable and not a total. Parts availability could be a factor but I think you‘ll be able to find a good shop, get things done right and save the vehicle.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Even 20 years ago, it was about $900 to replace a rear window and repair a hole from a BB gun on the rear hatch of our Cherokee courtesy of our pothead neighbor. Items like headlight assemblies are probably expensive or even hard to get with supply chain issues.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My money is on total loss because you have a lot of damaged parts here and a leak which means mechanical work is needed for radiator and condenser, and it looks like you have structural part damage as well as suspension damage. I have not looked at repair procedures but assuming the inner fender / rail and A pillars may be replace only it's high strength steel. In addition salvage values are high these days which means the anount the insurance company can put into the repair for breakeven is not that high.

The pictures are not that great so I may be over shooting the extent of the damage, and if I am the outcome in case of a borderline total loss will likely depend on a combination of three factors:
  • Where you live and what the labor rate is (CA where the hourly rate is $100 or MI where it's $55)
  • Taxes (again CA where it's between 8 and 9% or OR where it's 0%)
  • Type of parts they put on it (OEM, aftermarket, recycled)

To save it you need a combo of repairable structural parts, low hourly rate, and use of recycled parts. Recycled parts are better option than aftermarket.

Good luck, please update with outcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts