Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took it into a dealer and they did an alignment. After driving home, it still feels like the steering wheel is off center. When driving straight, the wheel is like 4 or 5 degrees to the right, and when you hold the wheel straight, you start turning left. This is my first jeep, is this typical? Anything to be done about it?

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
1,883 Posts
Welcome to the forum. After an alignment, when done correctly, the steering wheel should be aligned properly. Take it back to them and have them fix it. The steereing wheel was not clocked correctly when the toe-in was set. It's and easy fix, but it sounds like the guy that did the alignment is not too swift.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. After an alignment, when done correctly, the steering wheel should be aligned properly. Take it back to them and have them fix it. The steereing wheel was not clocked correctly when the toe-in was set. It's and easy fix, but it sounds like the guy that did the alignment is not too swift.
Appreciate the info. I will reach out to the service center to have them redo what they need to for it to be centered. Thanks!

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,835 Posts
That has been going on for many years and its hard to get them to make it right. Keep taking it back dont put up with it. I took my 2014 back 3 or 4 times for the cocked to the right steering wheel. They don't care to try and take the time, machine comes up all green and they will insist its fine even when its not. Keep taking it back

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
1,883 Posts
Years ago the alignment folks used to "compensate" for the slight crown in the roads by leaving the wheel off center a little on a flat road but would be centered when on a crowned road. Today that is not necessary. There's only one guy that I'll let touch any of my vehicles and he aligns our vehicles with the wife and me sitting in them and has me set the steering wheel the way I want it.....centered. Then he does the alignment. Because of his thoroughness, I've never had any problems with his alignments or any front end work that he's done for me. Too bad there aren't more like him around.

Reactions: 19GCTrailhawk

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I agree with the previous advise..take it back and have them adjust it right.
There's the remote possibility who did the alignment did it wrong.
Even though the steering wheel is off a few degrees, does the Jeep sway one direction no handed?

With older Jeep suspensions like my XJ, the drag link could be easily adjusted to compensate.
After an alignment, been there done that adjusted the drag link myself correctly for a 0 degree no handed highway drive.

Don't know if its that easy with these new Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi @pjhall001,

We're sorry to hear about this experience! Have your concerns now been remedied? Please feel free to reach out to our team via private message if needed.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

1 - 7 of 7 Posts