Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

521 - 540 of 556 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah Jim i agree its another cash cow for the dealerships, like other so called accessories such as cargo covers, mud flaps, etc.
But the real question, is a rock rail just an accessory for a Jeep trim deliberately named a TrailHawk?

For those who will never see a rugged trail or do any kind of off roading with their TrailHawk, at least FCA could of incorporated a rock rail (aka beefed up rocker panel) a little more aesthetic looking for those folks.
Wether they are standard or not, the Mopar rails work very well and have protected my Trailhawk from multiple disasterous run ins with rocks and logs while out and about. It's a cheap 800 bucks if you plan on taking your rig out.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Yes I did. Really good quality bracket nice and sturdy! I’m up in Canada and it shipped really quick too.
Any tips on the install? What beam pattern(s) did you choose and how did you select them? And are you happy with the result? I'm mainly interested in better coverage against deer crossing on dark roads.

I already have the bracket ... I went ahead and ordered one because they told me they were going to stop selling light brackets. Better than even chance I'll never get around to installing it, because the operation looks daunting!

·
Registered
2017 Jeep GC WK2 Trailhawk
6 Posts
It definitely was a bit daunting but I had two buddies that are more mechanically inclined helping me.

For the lights I wanted the midnight edition so they’re just the spot lights. They work quite well on dark highways.

When we installed I watched a YouTube video and the guy walks you through it all. I think it was this video (sorry we installed them before Christmas)

As you’re pulling the front fascia off, it legit feels and sounds like you’re going to break something but it was quite forgiving. The plastic rivets in the wheel wells all snapped and when I went to the dealer to buy new ones they’re about $9 CAD. I found a set on Amazon for $25 and it had the rivet gun and an assortment of rivets.

My Jeep has the front bumper sensors and they all tie in together with one clip, but we couldn’t for the life of us get it undone so we just flipped the whole thing upside down and put it beside the Jeep (you can see it in the first photos).

I didn’t go fancy and I just wired the lights direct to the battery (ie not run over the ignition). And then I put the toggle down low on the Center console. It’s a bit too low though so I’m actually going to splice a bit of wire and move it up to the indent on the side of the console almost in line to the shift knob. Pulling the wire to the cab was a pain. There’s a rubber grommet in the firewall that comes into the can just above the steering column. I popped out the grommet and cut the slit and fed the wires and then tried to put it back. I got it eventually but it’s a pain. I used spit on the rubber but maybe try some dish soap to lube it up to get it in.
Running the wire to the battery I just ran it along under the shroud by the wiper motors and zip ties it to the clips so it was free of the motors. The one thing we did do is move the location of the inline fuse so it was out by the battery compartment. The stock set up wasn’t quite long enough so the fuse was under the shroud.

Make sure you have the lights set how you like though before you put the front back on. I was able to just get my hands in front of the radiator by the hood latch and adjust the lights but I cut my hand and arms up a bit doing that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also totally happy with the result. Will be better once the switch is more accessible for driving. But regardless super happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just to show you the beam, this was when I was adjusting the height of the lights in the parking garage. It’s set about 150” away from the wall. The first photo is just the headlights and then the second photo is the rigid lights.

I put it so it was just above the low beam setting (I lowered it a bit more to these photos). That way it gives nice coverage.

I wanted them for deer as well in BC and Alberta.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Wow, great.

As long as you're going to rework the switch anyway ... there's a thread or two here about using a wireless switch with a remote control, and then programming the remote to one of the three overhead console buttons. Something to consider.

Also, my plan has been to wire it so the aux lights will only come on when the headlights are on and on bright -- that way dimming the headlights, either manually or automatically, will also kill the aux blinders. One of those threads talks about that a little bit too.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
523 Posts
Wow, great.

As long as you're going to rework the switch anyway ... there's a thread or two here about using a wireless switch with a remote control, and then programming the remote to one of the three overhead console buttons. Something to consider.

Also, my plan has been to wire it so the aux lights will only come on when the headlights are on and on bright -- that way dimming the headlights, either manually or automatically, will also kill the aux blinders. One of those threads talks about that a little bit too.
Bubba, Thanks for the shout out. I posted up about the wireless controller and the Homelink buttons. I have since added a back up set of flush mount Rigid Ignite Diffused to the rear bumper and wired them to the Homelink/wireless control as well.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Granite Crystal... tons more detail and each of the write-ups on my build thread: Halley -WK2 Trailhawk Build

2180miles WK2 Trailhawk
by 2180miles

Cobra 75WX / 2' NGP Firestik CB Install

Grand Cherokee CB Cabin Mount
by 2180miles

WK2 with CB Install
by 2180miles

Factor55 Hitchlink:

Hitchlink w/ D-ring
by 2180miles

Last weekend began the custom aux switch panel install for upcoming LED lighting..

Switch Panel - Front
by 2180miles

Mid-Cut
by 2180miles

Switch Panel Placed - 2
by 2180miles

Switch Panel Installed
by 2180miles

And up next I'm doing a test-fitting of the Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S for Chief Products' Hidden Winch Mount:

Chief Products WK2 Hidden Winch - Product Image
by 2180miles
@2180miles
You've done some fantastic work there. Would you like to do mine if I supply all the beer and pizza you can consume in mass quantities?

Reactions: hattrik21

·
Premium Member
255 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
For those that have done this install w/the fabworks bracket; How did you mount the bracket.... it has a slight bend in it vertically, did you orient the bracket so that the bend goes towards the condenser leaving a little more room for the lights between the bracket and the backside of the grill? Or with the bend coming forward towards the backside of the grill moving the lights away from the condenser and more towards the grill?

Also what type of switches have you guys used, specifically which manufactures and where you got them?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Check @Grimmjpr posts in the other thread about wireless remote switch keyed to the homelink buttons.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
And if anybody does it with the Black Oak pod lights, please let us know. I went ahead and bought the 4x4fabworks behind-grille bracket because they told me they're going to stop making light brackets entirely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those that have done this install w/the fabworks bracket; How did you mount the bracket.... it has a slight bend in it vertically, did you orient the bracket so that the bend goes towards the condenser leaving a little more room for the lights between the bracket and the backside of the grill? Or with the bend coming forward towards the backside of the grill moving the lights away from the condenser and more towards the grill?

Also what type of switches have you guys used, specifically which manufactures and where you got them?
Thanks
My bend goes backwards. For switches I just bought some little blue toggle switches from Amazon and put them in the side of the Center console.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
When I e-mailed 4X4 Fabworks that same bracket orientation question their response was ;
"The bracket should be installed with the bend coming forward towards the backside of the grill moving the lights away from the condenser. It will end up close to parallel with the OEM support rods on either side."

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Can someone confirm that your MY18+ has illuminated cup holders. My MY18 TH cup holders don't illuminate and just want to confirm before I pull apart looking for a loose connection.

Btw all other illumination is working..

521 - 540 of 556 Posts