Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

601 - 620 of 664 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,692 Posts
And is there any functional advantage to going to a 265/65 over the stock 265/60, or is that just for looks?
Primarily looks...plus a very, very slight increase in overall ground clearance....plus the downsides of having to replace the spare with a tire of the same diameter to avoid drivetrain damage and inaccurate speedo/odo unless one spends money on some software to adjust it. (dealer can't help with that)

Reactions: BubbaATL

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm no expert in tire sizes so you guys may be better off making a thread in the tire section and asking. Those guys know their stuff.

I guess there is some benefit to the new size since my total ground clearance went from 10.8 to 11.3 at full lift. Also the at3w tires besides looking cool in my opinion also are a great all terrain that has the snowflake rating on them. My original plan was have two separate sets of rims and tires. One for summer one for winter but the at3w were good enough to make me just have 1 set year round and that worked for me.

That said just this week we got over a foot of snow and some ice and the Jeep performed awesome in it. I kept going out just to drive in the storm lol

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Somewhat related question ... are tires of a given size close enough in diameter across brands that it's not necessary to replace the spare (to avoid drivetrain damage) when going to a different brand/model of tire?

·
Registered
2020 TrailHawk V6 Billet Lux + Lights
69 Posts
Somewhat related question ... are tires of a given size close enough in diameter across brands that it's not necessary to replace the spare (to avoid drivetrain damage) when going to a different brand/model of tire?
I found this site while looking for different wheels/tires. It has been VERY helpful for my decision making process. It however does NOT take into account different tire types such as a knobby MT vs road HT tire treads, but it gave me some clearance ideas while going thru the many choices we have.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you use the tire size guides that a few folks have graciously posted around the wheel/tire area of the forum, that should give you a very good idea of what would work best.?

I find myself in a conundrum of what to do next? More MODs, or tweak what I have and run with it? Or nothing at all UGH o_O

·
Registered
55 Posts
@805gregg Which tire did you buy for the spare? Does the lid close all the way or did you need to air the tire down to get it to fit? Using the stock steel spare wheel?

I just went to my local tire store and bought a used Firestone Destination, the cover sticks up a little, but I have seen pictures of a Falken 265/65 r18 that fit with the cover closed and latch working

·
Registered
55 Posts
And is there any functional advantage to going to a 265/65 over the stock 265/60, or is that just for looks?
Larger sidewall more cushioning, your tires are a part of your suspension, the larger the side wall the more suspension you get, and the larger footprint you get when you airdown, so no stuck in mud, snow or sand, larger wheel sizes were necessary for larger disc brakes, but there is a limit, do you need 20" wheels, no a fashion statement, unless you need bigger brakes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since it has been pretty quiet here lately, I thought I'd stoke the TrailHawk thread and add my recent addition. After much deliberation about which rack to get (between the Brightlines or Rhino) I went with the Rhino due to the aerodynamic looks and reported minimal wind noise. The hard part was swallowing the price difference of $275, but I thought what the heck? I can report that it was an easy install, and at highway driving speeds, I have not heard any noise from these. I am pretty happy with the overall outcome. I have a couple more mods coming, but just wanted to reenergize our little family :)

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice Trailhawk, my previous owner removed the hood decal, and I like it
Thanks, it's coming along. I had thought about a decal delete, but so far it's kind of growing on me and as others elude to, it makes the TH stand out a bit from the rest of the flock LOL :)

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Since it has been pretty quiet here lately, I thought I'd stoke the TrailHawk thread and add my recent addition. After much deliberation about which rack to get (between the Brightlines or Rhino) I went with the Rhino due to the aerodynamic looks and reported minimal wind noise. The hard part was swallowing the price difference of $275, but I thought what the heck? I can report that it was an easy install, and at highway driving speeds, I have not heard any noise from these. I am pretty happy with the overall outcome. I have a couple more mods coming, but just wanted to reenergize our little family
I hope "easy install" means you didn't have to do any of the cutting and assembly shown in the installation video on their site ... ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hope "easy install" means you didn't have to do any of the cutting and assembly shown in the installation video on their site ... ?
Cutting? Nope. I did watch the eTrailer install video before starting, but it was literally remove the stock T30 roof bolts, screw in the brackets T25 bolts that came with kit, insert beams, put on locking bracket end covers, and add the vortex strips to the T-track. I did have to trim the one piece of rubber vortex strip with scissors to fill the track, but that's no biggie. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
255/70R18 Sahara wheels.

PSA:
Rubbed front calipers.
1.5" spacers to clear calipers
That created a Front rubbing issue around 20% steering while on parking mode and hitting a bump.
Confirm rubbing one Front fender liner clip going straight. I'll be trimming fender liner there.
No rubbing rear.
No issues on std height
Additional clearance super welcome while offroad.
I should have only put 1/2" spacers for the rubbing... but looks really good with 1.5".
3 days / 380mi offroad in death valley in December all good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
RIP Bruiser.

My wife totaled our 2017 Rhino Trailhawk this morning. She is fine but sadly the Jeep is done. She was driving entirely too fast and slammed it into a bridge rail.

I am glad she is ok but I am heartbroken the Trailbird is gone. It had a lifetime maxcare warranty and only had 55k on it.
IMG_20210127_143343420.jpg
IMG_20210127_143335870.jpg
IMG_20210127_143351603.jpg
IMG_20210127_143249134.jpg
IMG_20210127_143300524.jpg
IMG_20210127_143325457.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Yikes. Miraculous and a blessing that she came out of that OK.

Reactions: AV8TR
601 - 620 of 664 Posts