Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
721 - 740 of 756 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Do they grille lights provide any illumination or are they just decorative? How are they mounted?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Do they grille lights provide any illumination or are they just decorative? How are they mounted?
Well, they provide more forward visibility (oncoming traffic), but not much (overall) light.

I did a How-To, a few months ago. Search my user name and you should find it.

Bob

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
54 Posts
@Diboblo Are you installing the OEM front camera/ACC setup or something just for off road? Nice color choice :)

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
54 Posts
Well had a weird experience with my new tires. Had the Discoverer AT3 4s tires installed in 265/65/18. Had 265/60s Cooper tires on my Honda Passport, installed by the same shop. About 5 miles into running them, I was getting some wild noise/vibration from the car. At low speeds under 20mph it was like I had a major flat with something in the tire. Around 40mph, the drivetrain was vibration through the floor and pedal box. At 60mph there was a slight vibration. It always got "better" as speeds went up. Took the car back and had the two front tires rebalanced but the problem persisted. Even stranger was it was specific to certain speeds. 35,50,65 and above there was no vibration or noise. It just got really bad at 10, 25, 45, and 60.

What was weird is it never came through the steering wheel. Always like the diff or axle was having a hard time. My wife even asked about it. At one point I was convinced I had broke something like a CV or shaft. Alignment was fine and overall driveability was good too.

I had the tire shop swap to 265/65 Falken Wildpeaks and it went completely away. There's still some extra road noise compared to my Passport and once a while I feel what seems like rubbing but this size tire is proven to be of a non-issue. I also think the brake pads need replacing but that's a different feeling for sure.

My guess is one or more of the Cooper tires was bad. Here's a really weird outcome; both the Cooper and Falken are spot on speedo wise. I tested it over and over again at various speeds 0-75 and they are showing the proper speed using a mix of GPS speed apps. I bought the car used and wonder if something was adjusted by the prior owner. I have an ODB2 reader and bypass. Just need to get Alpha and take a look.

Place a pre-order for the Chief Sump & Trans/belly plates, rock rails, and front fascia protection. Long wait to Sept...

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
196 Posts
this is a screen shot from a dealer in AZ , that decal looks kinda nice.

View attachment 235700
We went for a 2 day trip in Chicago last weekend. Met a guy that had a ‘20 Trailhawk that had an unusual hood decal. It was black with a gray map of the property he owned in Wisconsin that he used for off-roading. Looked like it was etched into it somehow. Wish I would have gotten pics of it..was pretty cool.

Reactions: THAZ

·
Registered
130 Posts
Going to add the ACC lower grille and bracket, then mount the camera, to the bracket, for offroad use.
Do you already have a camera picked out, or still looking? I've been trying to find something that would integrate into my rig (21 Overland, ORAII and Pro Tech buildout). I keep seeing reference to an interface kit from Naviks, but on their site they only show up to MY '20 for compatibility (maybe they just never updated the site), and I can't seem to find any details on how it works.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Do you already have a camera picked out, or still looking? I've been trying to find something that would integrate into my rig (21 Overland, ORAII and Pro Tech buildout). I keep seeing reference to an interface kit from Naviks, but on their site they only show up to MY '20 for compatibility (maybe they just never updated the site), and I can't seem to find any details on how it works.

Hey Moebius.

No need for any integration box, to add a camera, or cameras, to the 8.4 display radio. No need for any special camera, either.

I'm going to run my camera off of ignition switched power, via an add a circuit, at the Power Distribution Block.

This will leave the camera on, when the ignition is on.

Using an SPDT switch, you can add an additional camera.

Radio C1 connector pins:

31 Camera Signal
32 Camera Return (signal ground).

You can interrupt pin 31 wire (DG/BN) and run it to one side of the switch. Run your new camera center conductor (signal wire), to the other side of the switch. Lastly, connect the other side of the pin 31 wire, to the center tap, of the switch. Tie your new camera shield to power ground and to the frame, somewhere close to the new camera. This way, you will only need to snake one small wire, into the cab. There is a boot, in the firewall, next to the glove box... or you can get in there, via the cabin air filter, if you have one. I just punched a hole, through the rubber boot.

Now, you can toggle between your new camera (wherever you want to mount it) and the OEM rear camera.

Bob

NOTE: MORE CAMERAS, MEAN MORE SWITCHES, OR YOU CAN USE AN RCA SWITCH BOX, TO SELECT BETWEEN EACH CAMERA AND SIMPLIFY THE INSTALLATION, BUT ADD BULK.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No need for any integration box, to add a camera, or cameras, to the 8.4 display radio. No need for any special camera, either.

I'm going to run my camera off of ignition switched power, via an add a circuit, at the Power Distribution Block.
I'm considering that approach as well, but thinking I may try for the best of both worlds. Our main vehicle for the past 4 years or so has been the Rogue we got for my wife. I have to admit I got really spoiled by the 360 camera system when it comes to tricky parking and things like that. If I can find someone who's actually used that Naviks (or similar system) on a late enough model (post cyber gateway), I might give it a go. Otherwise, I'll be looking to splice into the rear cam with a switch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just picked up this '21 5.7 Trailhawk yesterday. First Jeep and absolutely love it. Had a 4runner trail edition and Z-71 Tahoe prior and this is our favorite one. Absolutely love this thing so far.

It's the wife's ride so only mods will be wheels and tires eventually and maybe a roof rack.

View attachment 237211
Nice ride! I think the Trailhawk is all around a very nice vehicle and the best combination of on/road and off/road for comfort of any vehicle out there. I have a 2020 TH and my mind was sold on getting a 2020 4Runner TRD Off-Road, but when I drove the Jeep TH the on-road driving comfort was far superior in the $40-45k price point (I bought mine pre-pandemic where I got almost $8k in dealer/manufacturer incentives.) The TH glides down the road. The 4Runner is extremely nice and reliable, but my kids said it felt like they were going to get car sick since it rode more like a truck than a SUV.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Before you swap out the wheels, check out the weight specs on the stock ones. They're pretty impressive.

And on the subject of the tires, I really don't understand why the stock Goodyear Kevlars get so little respect here. I just replaced mine at 44k (with Defender LTX's) and I'm confident they would have gone 50k. Over that 44k I had zero complaints with them, on the highway, in heavy rain (Atlanta gets heavy rain), in snow (including a real 50-mile adventure in some heavy snow), in mud (including some challenging mud where I left behind a big Ford diesel 4x4 pickup getting towed out), on road and off road, some emergency braking -- whatever I threw at them. They weren't noisy and they rode fine.

OK I'm hoping to get an extra 1 or 2 mpg out of the Defenders, and maybe better tread life, but that's about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice ride! I think the Trailhawk is all around a very nice vehicle and the best combination of on/road and off/road for comfort of any vehicle out there. I have a 2020 TH and my mind was sold on getting a 2020 4Runner TRD Off-Road, but when I drove the Jeep TH the on-road driving comfort was far superior in the $40-45k price point (I bought mine pre-pandemic where I got almost $8k in dealer/manufacturer incentives.) The TH glides down the road. The 4Runner is extremely nice and reliable, but my kids said it felt like they were going to get car sick since it rode more like a truck than a SUV.
Exactly. The looks and toughness are about all it has going for it (4runner). Interior and engine leave a lot to be desired.

Before you swap out the wheels, check out the weight specs on the stock ones. They're pretty impressive.

And on the subject of the tires, I really don't understand why the stock Goodyear Kevlars get so little respect here. I just replaced mine at 44k (with Defender LTX's) and I'm confident they would have gone 50k. Over that 44k I had zero complaints with them, on the highway, in heavy rain (Atlanta gets heavy rain), in snow (including a real 50-mile adventure in some heavy snow), in mud (including some challenging mud where I left behind a big Ford diesel 4x4 pickup getting towed out), on road and off road, some emergency braking -- whatever I threw at them. They weren't noisy and they rode fine.

OK I'm hoping to get an extra 1 or 2 mpg out of the Defenders, and maybe better tread life, but that's about it.
Honestly mostly looks haha. Will probably do what I did with the 4runner and go wheels first until these tires go bad and then go with bigger tires. I'm very particular on wheel and tire sizing to get the exact stance I want. Honestly this thing would be perfect if the wheels had a little more offset and I can't bring myself to do spacers no matter how many threads I've read of people wheeling and having no problems with them. I won't be trail riding much at all and still just rather get the correct offset wheel. That's just me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is kind of why I ordered mine the way I did. The only thing the wife and I didn't like about the TH was the seats (and neither of us like all black interiors), so I ordered the Overland with OR2 and tech with the Dark Sienna interior. So I get the off-road capability of the Trailhawk with the interior of the Overland. Just finished installing Chief lower front guard and sump plate (rock rails and roof rack have to wait till after the new year), and just about finished loading her up for her first adventure tomorrow. Mostly a shakedown run to make sure we've got everything we need for primitive camping/overlanding, not much in the way of trails on this first trip.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is kind of why I ordered mine the way I did. The only thing the wife and I didn't like about the TH was the seats (and neither of us like all black interiors), so I ordered the Overland with OR2 and tech with the Dark Sienna interior. So I get the off-road capability of the Trailhawk with the interior of the Overland. Just finished installing Chief lower front guard and sump plate (rock rails and roof rack have to wait till after the new year), and just about finished loading her up for her first adventure tomorrow. Mostly a shakedown run to make sure we've got everything we need for primitive camping/overlanding, not much in the way of trails on this first trip.
That's interesting what you said about the TH seats because it is one of the reasons why most sway to that trim vs a limited/overland (with the QL II) - most want that SRT style

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd love to see a pic of your rig! The all black does get hot, but I love the TH seats and how they hug you. I really like the Overland also, but it was about $6k more than my TH, and the TH had everything I wanted vs the Overland had some things I didn't really want like the woodgrain steering wheel and color matching fenders. Call me crazy, but I like the black plastic fenders and trim pieces.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd love to see a pic of your rig! The all black does get hot, but I love the TH seats and how they hug you. I really like the Overland also, but it was about $6k more than my TH, and the TH had everything I wanted vs the Overland had some things I didn't really want like the woodgrain steering wheel and color matching fenders. Call me crazy, but I like the black plastic fenders and trim pieces.
In the end, when I priced adding the toys I wanted to the TH, it was pretty close to the Overland anyway. I actually do like the black trim on the TH, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. As it happens, my woodgrain steering wheel is so dark it looks black anyway. I kind of wish it was a little closer to the wood trim which has an almost gray appearance, but c'est la vie. It occurred to me reading this that I've never taken pics of the interior, so I went and snapped a couple in the garage. Not great lighting of course, but...

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Window Seat belt

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

My wife and I just fell in love with the dark sienna the first time we saw it. Still probably the most black of an interior we've ever had, but the dark brown just balances it perfectly. And yes, added Husky liners since my primary purpose of this is a "convertible" overlanding rig... my stealth Overhawk, as it were. I've built a custom deck I replace the spare tire cover with that mounts a removable drawer system, and will eventually have a fridge slide. The extra armor I'm adding is all Chief products to keep the factory look as much as possible. I love that you can still put the lower fascia back on over the front guard and sump plates. Obviously, when I add the rock rails and roof rack, those show up, but if I go barebones on the rock rails, it just changes from the red to black trim.

Sky Wheel Vehicle Car Tire

So by day, Sandy is just your everyday average mall crawler. But when adventure beckons, she can shed the soccer mom persona and rise up to meet the challenges ahead.
Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire

I'm just about finished with phase 1 of the build. Still have to add the Chief tie down enhancement this weekend so I can properly anchor the custom deck, then I have to figure out how I want to anchor the deck. When the double drawer is extended, the cookstove is hanging out 48", so the whole deck will rock forward if I don't anchor it to the rear tiedown. Thinking I may use a sliding gate latch that I can mount to the deck, then just slide it under the rear tiedown to keep it firm.

I love that I can keep it pretty normal when I'm not camping, still having a full back cargo area and everything else.

721 - 740 of 756 Posts