Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
741 - 756 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
In the end, when I priced adding the toys I wanted to the TH, it was pretty close to the Overland anyway. I actually do like the black trim on the TH, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. As it happens, my woodgrain steering wheel is so dark it looks black anyway. I kind of wish it was a little closer to the wood trim which has an almost gray appearance, but c'est la vie. It occurred to me reading this that I've never taken pics of the interior, so I went and snapped a couple in the garage. Not great lighting of course, but...

View attachment 237416

View attachment 237417

My wife and I just fell in love with the dark sienna the first time we saw it. Still probably the most black of an interior we've ever had, but the dark brown just balances it perfectly. And yes, added Husky liners since my primary purpose of this is a "convertible" overlanding rig... my stealth Overhawk, as it were. I've built a custom deck I replace the spare tire cover with that mounts a removable drawer system, and will eventually have a fridge slide. The extra armor I'm adding is all Chief products to keep the factory look as much as possible. I love that you can still put the lower fascia back on over the front guard and sump plates. Obviously, when I add the rock rails and roof rack, those show up, but if I go barebones on the rock rails, it just changes from the red to black trim.

View attachment 237418
So by day, Sandy is just your everyday average mall crawler. But when adventure beckons, she can shed the soccer mom persona and rise up to meet the challenges ahead.
View attachment 237419

View attachment 237420

I'm just about finished with phase 1 of the build. Still have to add the Chief tie down enhancement this weekend so I can properly anchor the custom deck, then I have to figure out how I want to anchor the deck. When the double drawer is extended, the cookstove is hanging out 48", so the whole deck will rock forward if I don't anchor it to the rear tiedown. Thinking I may use a sliding gate latch that I can mount to the deck, then just slide it under the rear tiedown to keep it firm.

I love that I can keep it pretty normal when I'm not camping, still having a full back cargo area and everything else.
Nice set-up and thanks for posting pics. The brown interior gives the GC a very rich and classic look much like the Euro SUV's on the market. I've always considered the JGC to be the Range Rover of the USA lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Moebius can you share more about the spare tire cover/deck that you have built? One of the challenges I am finding right now is the spare tire compartment, and how it wouldn't fit a bigger/wider tire. Does the custom cover/deck allow a tad more room for perhaps 275 width tires in there? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
130 Posts
I found a few folks that had done similar, including one around here. This one is very similar to what I ended up doing. In short, it's a 3/4" piece of plywood (I went with cabinet grade so it's as level as possible) that I cut to match the shape of the foam board cover. I was debating between stain, painting, or coating it with a truck bed liner for extra grip. In the end, went with stain and a polycrylic coat on top. Then after putting the tie down points, I put a little hatch lift grip in so it's easy to pull out. The last piece I'm working on is how to anchor it to the tie downs. Since I'll be doing some off road with the 50lb drawer cube anchored to it, I don't want the whole deck bouncing up. I'm thinking a gate latch might work. Then I can just slide it in to the tie down points. Couple pics for reference:

Wood Rectangle Floor Wall Paint
Hood Vehicle Trunk Automotive design Automotive exterior

Sorry about the shadow, was in the garage so no way to angle better. The drawer cube slides in the left side and I'm using a couple j hooks to latch to the anchor point. Eventually, I'll mount a fridge slide on the right.

As to more room or not, that's an interesting question. It's hard to see in the pic, but 3/4" plywood means the deck sits just below the lip, which doesn't have a bearing on your spare tire question since the bottom is at the same height. But what it does mean is that I'm thinking of getting a piece of 1/4" plywood to cut strips the same width as the area the board rests on to bring it closer to level with the rest of the cargo bay (probably a tad higher, which for my purposes actually works well). Doing that is going to raise it an extra bit in the middle, so that might allow for a thicker tire. Plus, depending on how close it is, you could always use a router to hollow out just a bit where the tire would actually fit. Since at that point you'd be sitting right on the tire, I don't think you'd risk weakening things too much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As to more room or not, that's an interesting question. It's hard to see in the pic, but 3/4" plywood means the deck sits just below the lip, which doesn't have a bearing on your spare tire question since the bottom is at the same height. But what it does mean is that I'm thinking of getting a piece of 1/4" plywood to cut strips the same width as the area the board rests on to bring it closer to level with the rest of the cargo bay (probably a tad higher, which for my purposes actually works well). Doing that is going to raise it an extra bit in the middle, so that might allow for a thicker tire. Plus, depending on how close it is, you could always use a router to hollow out just a bit where the tire would actually fit. Since at that point you'd be sitting right on the tire, I don't think you'd risk weakening things too much.
Great insight! The 1/4" spacer combined with the thinning of the board in the shape of a circle to fit the tire will probably get me another 1/2", that's might be good enough to fit 275's!! And like you said, the tire will act as support, so there is no real concern about structural weakness.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, ProCharged 5.7L Hemi
765 Posts
I'm just about finished with phase 1 of the build. Still have to add the Chief tie down enhancement this weekend so I can properly anchor the custom deck, then I have to figure out how I want to anchor the deck. When the double drawer is extended, the cookstove is hanging out 48", so the whole deck will rock forward if I don't anchor it to the rear tiedown. Thinking I may use a sliding gate latch that I can mount to the deck, then just slide it under the rear tiedown to keep it firm.

I love that I can keep it pretty normal when I'm not camping, still having a full back cargo area and everything else.
I love what you have done with you Jeep. (y)

TECH TIP: When you get ready to install your Chief Products Tie Downs, the rear tie downs are pretty solid, MUCH better the stock. The front however, if you have the Quadra-Lift System, the front tie down attach to the straps that retain the air tank. These straps are held to the floor of the jeep by little sheet metal screws and a flimsy anchor plate. I replaced the sheet metal screw and anchor plate with a 5/16 bolt and a rivet nut. Now my front tie downs (and air tank) are mounted more securely.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, discovered that yesterday, but won’t get a chance to do anything about it for a while. I also had to get longer bolts for the rear. Not sure if they tweaked the trim on MY21 models, but 30mm bolt that came wouldn’t reach the tie down anchor bar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A good YT website to see what a Trailhawk can do is "Prodigal Overland" this guy takes his GC places that most wouldn't

·
Registered
2 Posts
Evening. Long-time Jeepers with 2 JKUs we built as trail rigs. Did lots of fun wheeling in Colorado for years. After moving from Colorado to Florida 2 years ago, we've been dealing with getting an elderly parent into one of the lifted JKUs, and with us taking long-distance road trips regularly, it was time to swap one of the JKUs for a more comfy vehicle that we could get MIL into easier and still be able to trail ride in Colorado when we go back.

With the insane supply issues, Florida dealers were putting big markups on everything if they even had one. After two weeks of research and inventory hunting, I found a nice dealer in Alcoa, TN (Harper) that did zero markup, had exactly the rig I wanted (TH with no other options), and gave me what I wanted for my trade. So, we drove up this past Sunday and came home with it on Monday. We saved almost $8k between our deal and trade over the Florida dealers.

We picked up a 2021 GC Trailhawk in Sting-Gray. I think there is plenty of tech and gizmos in these. Besides, coming from a JKU - this is like another planet comfort-wise. I love the JKUs everywhere but driving across Kansas or Texas in windy conditions - it just kills my back and is tiring after a 10+ hour day.

The drive home was a piece of cake, and we really like the Jeep. Looking forward to reading/learning more here and heading out with it soon. Our remaining JKU is sad his brother is gone, but he seems to be handling it ok ;)

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Jeep grand cherokee

·
Registered
9 Posts
This morning's journey to work took about 1.5 hours, instead of 10 minutes, due to excessive careful digging and Quadralift-powered Crunchdown-RaiseUp-Move2Feet-Repeat catterpillaring out of my apartment's lot...

Then once out on the at least 1-time plowed roads it did fine until reaching work office lot, which also wasn't plowed, and nearly got stuck trying to pull in. QD-II in reverse managed to pull it straight back out the way she came, and parked safely across the street in the end of a local autoshop's lot.

Some pictures for you:
Car Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle

Sky Snow Automotive tire Car Tree

Car Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle

Man, I love this rig!

·
Registered
2019 TrailHawk
578 Posts
This morning's journey to work took about 1.5 hours, instead of 10 minutes, due to excessive careful digging and Quadralift-powered Crunchdown-RaiseUp-Move2Feet-Repeat catterpillaring out of my apartment's lot...

Then once out on the at least 1-time plowed roads it did fine until reaching work office lot, which also wasn't plowed, and nearly got stuck trying to pull in. QD-II in reverse managed to pull it straight back out the way she came, and parked safely across the street in the end of a local autoshop's lot.

Man, I love this rig!
How deep was the snow? It looks pretty deep, but it's hard to tell. Also, where is this?

·
Registered
2019 TrailHawk
578 Posts
In the parking lot ranged from 1.5-2ft deep. North Western PA!
Wow, I'm just outside of Philly. I had no idea you guys got that much snow.

BTW, that's a great reason to have air suspension. It definitely helps in deep snow.

·
Super Moderator
10,642 Posts
Yes, 2.5" here in Central Bucks County, but it was up to 50ºF at 3am, according to Accuweather, and raining. No snow remaining, for the most part, this morning. Quite the temperature swing, considering it was 8ºF when we got up yesterday! Folks north and west got some very nice snow...'saw snowy pictures from State College a few minutes ago in my Twitter feed, as a matter of fact.

Reactions: n0taqua
741 - 756 of 756 Posts