Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking to possibly become a Jeep GC owner next year and would like to hear from current owner's regarding warm-up / defrosting time's during the cold winter period with snow,ice etc...

Does the GC have a heated front window screen ?

Does remote start do a good job of defrosting the car / windows ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
45 Posts
My GC with the V6 starts producing heat after idling only a couple minutes. It is really remarkable how quickly it warms up. There are no heating elements in the front windshield, just the standard defrost vents.

Remote start does a good job; if you have auto climate control selected, it can turn on your heated seats, heated steering wheel and rear defrost, which also activates the heated mirrors (if equipped) below 40F. Front defrost requires a button press. You could hit the front defrost button before exiting the vehicle and it would come on with remote start (front defrost deactivates auto climate control and vice versa).

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,622 Posts
My JGC 5.7 warms up faster than my PT Cruiser 2.4. I've never seen a vehicle warm up as fast as it does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How well do the standard vents work at clearing ice from the windshield ?

With the GC not having heating elements, does it take long to clear ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
The windshield stays clean for the most part, but you can end up with a buildup of snow along the bottom if you drive in heavy snow. The heated steering wheel is my favorite option since we live in North Dakota where it can be below freezing for months at a time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Zero degrees here now and my Hemi Summit does a fine job with warming up with remote start. Heated steering wheel is wonderful.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
307 Posts
2017 3.6 builds heat fast but I don't have a ton to go on for defrost so far. I haven't had any real frost yet this season- just cold and snow. Defrost did melt off a light ice in under 10 minutes. Wipers did ice up a bit last week during the sleet/snow mess we got. For what it is worth my Subaru I had a few vehicles ago had the heating elements in the base of the windshield and it didn't do any better than my other vehicles I've had.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,113 Posts
2017 3.6 builds heat fast but I don't have a ton to go on for defrost so far. I haven't had any real frost yet this season- just cold and snow. Defrost did melt off a light ice in under 10 minutes. Wipers did ice up a bit last week during the sleet/snow mess we got. For what it is worth my Subaru I had a few vehicles ago had the heating elements in the base of the windshield and it didn't do any better than my other vehicles I've had.
Those Subaru elements were supposed to keep the wipers from freezing to the windshield. They sort of worked.

My 2014 GC 3.6 heats up much faster than my Mazda MX5 with the 2.0 engine even though it works a lot less at keeping the vehicle moving. The MX5 is more fun except when I can go off-road, but the GC is more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
This is a couple areas that need work.

There should be heaters in the windshield where the wiper blades park and/or heated blades. Like Subaru’s do.

In some weather conditions you have to cook yourself in order to get enough heat on the windshield to prevent ice build up on blades. I put the heat on max and open the windows.

It’s unsually bad on the GC.

Also snow sticks to the lining of the wheel wells, sometimes pretty badly. Can make an incredible mess in the garage.

For a “winter weather” machine it’s pretty dumb on these two issues.

It makes up for it in other areas. Like the warm up speed is incredible.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Don't forget the wonderful heated seats.

·
Registered
14 Jeep GC Overland
347 Posts
Typically, it's a lot easier to make a direct comparison when trying to figure out if something is faster at doing something. In this case, there is no direct comparison. Yes, we can look at the mass of an engine (larger vs. smaller displacement), cold engine idle strategies, or the addition of a grille blocker, aka radiator shutter, aka a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to restrict cold airflow into the engine compartment.

More efficient options to warming up your vehicle faster are block heaters or the tried and true method of driving your car/Jeep.

For What It's Worth
1. Idling for 30 seconds uses more fuel than restarting your vehicle.
2. Or as my wife says, "I'm not interested in putting my arse in a cold seat, so can you please start my car before you leave for work."

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,842 Posts
and the heated steering wheel that turns off after 20 seconds!

I never used the heated wheel on my '14. With the weather lately I've been using it a lot. It never shuts off by itself, but gets so hot where the leather meets the wood that I have to turn it off.

--

·
Registered
112 Posts
I never used the heated wheel on my '14. With the weather lately I've been using it a lot. It never shuts off by itself, but gets so hot where the leather meets the wood that I have to turn it off.-

I am not 100% certain but I believe I read something changed over the years. We have an 18 and the heated wheel definitely turns itself off rather quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
I even use my heated wheel during warmer parts of the year...I get hand pain and it's soothing. In the winter...it's essential. I'd never have a vehicle without it at this point. My MY12 stays on a good long time, although it does step down to the lower temp after some period and then eventually off.

This time of year, I use remote start to get things going...about 5 minutes or so before I need to leave. It's a trade off relative to fuel economy, but my body prefers "warm".

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,113 Posts
I even use my heated wheel during warmer parts of the year...I get hand pain and it's soothing. In the winter...it's essential. I'd never have a vehicle without it at this point. My MY12 stays on a good long time, although it does step down to the lower temp after some period and then eventually off.

This time of year, I use remote start to get things going...about 5 minutes or so before I need to leave. It's a trade off relative to fuel economy, but my body prefers "warm".
I get hand pain if I use the heated wheel as after about 45 seconds of it turning on, the wheel is painful to touch.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
I get hand pain if I use the heated wheel as after about 45 seconds of it turning on, the wheel is painful to touch.
That sounds like something is amiss...mine takes several minutes to heat up and doesn't get so hot that it's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Our 2014 steering wheel heater works just fine. I can't ever remember having to turn it off although I usually end up putting the driver's seat on low or off before it automatically does. My wife always leaves either seat on high although she doesn't sit in the driver's seat for long trips.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I use to discount a heated steering wheel until the Summit with its leather and wood steering wheel. Jeep has engineered its heating element so well that both wood and leather has such a warm and inviting feel. It also warms up quickly with a even distribution of heat. I keep my Summit in a garage but gave it a proper cold weather test at zero degrees. I left the Jeep sit outside for a day and tested its warm up capabilities. At zero degrees it warmed up surprisingly quick. The delayed auto climate control is counter acted with the heated seats and steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts