Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 967 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed a few days ago that the inside of my front wheels had loads of grease in them. Nothing in the rear wheels. Does anyone know if this is normal for a new Jeep? Should I be concerned? Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

Reactions: DAMCB

·
Premium Member
Jeep SRT
2,188 Posts
I would get it checked out, as you may have a problem with the CV boots and may be a sign of something more serious.
The grease could get on the brakes and lead to a much worse situation.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,848 Posts
Yikes, can't imagine that's normal. None on mine at delivery or 6k later. That's fresh looking fling. Dealer NOW my friend.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Not normal. The last time I saw something like that on one of my vehicles it was a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wonderful. Guess I'm not driving to New York tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dropped my Jeep off yesterday to get it checked out. I don't know the full details yet but the dealer just called and told me he put 2 brand new axles on it. He said something about the bands coming off. I was busy so I couldn't really get into detail with him. Is there anything I should ask when I go pick it up? I don't have a bunch of knowledge when it comes to things like this. What does his explanation sound like to you? He said he has never seen anything like this happen.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,848 Posts
Probably one of these (~ 1 in. and ~ 4 in. clamp bands on each boot end)..

The one on left is inner boot, on right is outer boot on one shaft so you have 4 of these boots and since your grease was on the inside of rim the closest band would be the 4 incher in the right photo (outer shaft boot).

I mean, anything can happen but BOTH front wheel shafts? I don't buy it. That's an assembly not a failure issue. Freaky deaky man. :eek:

But, all fixed now. :thumbsup:

Attachments

Reactions: PhillyAnt

·
Long Live the Grey Ghosts
13,493 Posts
may want to go to the quarter wash place and see about getting and grease blobs off before you go home.
with the high pressure you should be able to clean them wheels up good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably one of these (~ 1 in. and ~ 4 in. clamp bands on each boot end)..

The one on left is inner boot, on right is outer boot on one shaft so you have 4 of these boots and since your grease was on the inside of rim the closest band would be the 4 incher in the right photo (outer shaft boot).

I mean, anything can happen but BOTH front wheel shafts? I don't buy it. That's an assembly not a failure issue. Freaky deaky man. :eek:

But, all fixed now. :thumbsup:
Yeah that was pretty freaky. Hopefully that is the last of my problems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
may want to go to the quarter wash place and see about getting and grease blobs off before you go home.
with the high pressure you should be able to clean them wheels up good.
They are giving it a full detail. No way I was gonna drive it with that stuff all over it :cool:

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,848 Posts
BOTH left and right? Very odd! I mean if both boots on same half-shaft were missing (don't buy that they fell off) I could understand that as a bad batch of half-shafts but to have one boot missing a clamp on EACH shaft, that's a manufacturing assembly line issue for that station....

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,848 Posts
Stupid, senseless, unnecessary assembly BS like this just really rubs my rhubarb!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stupid, senseless, unnecessary assembly BS like this just really rubs my rhubarb!

Service is closed today too but I called the salesman and he said they have one guy working and to bring it in when I get out of work.

I definitely don't feel comfortable driving around with loose parts by the wheels so I'm hoping they have a rental I can take.

1 - 20 of 967 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.