Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like they are out of business in the US. Was wanting to get my tune back after the emission recall. And a trans tune. Anybody know anything?

I spent a bunch of money on that tune and hate to spend more to go somewhere else. Any idea if they are coming back?

·
Registered
JGC Overland
326 Posts
When you say "out of business"....do you mean completely gone, doors shut and locked? I don't think that's the case. Have you tried emailing them or any type of direct communication? They are no longer offering their tuning products in the USA, perhaps temporarily, but I believe they are still in business and selling internationally.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
They stopped offering tunes to US customers back around November or so, when the EPA payed them a visit. They won't support current US tunes in fear of even more EPA sanctions.

Consider picking up a used ECM and using the AlfaOBD app to write your VIN and injector codes. Then go to the dealer with the used ECM installed. No other inexpensive option.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Summit EcoD
220 Posts
They are not out of business they just aren't selling their existing tunes anymore due to the EPA crackdown. They are still alive and in business, last I heard they are working on developing EPA/CARB-approved, emissions-intact tunes. Like most tuners, they're keeping a low profile after the crackdown so they don't incur more fines/troubles and will either emerge with smog-legal products or they'll disappear permanently. GDE hasn't gone anywhere.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Same fate many of the aftermarket software tuning companies have suffered over the years, including diesel tuners. Messing with the factory EPA approved software is illegal, period! There are some like Banks that go through the trouble and expense of getting CARB and/or EPA approval but it's very expensive.

For those with the GDE tunes, if past history with diesel tuners holds true the EPA probably now has the records of everyone who purchased their software.

Read through some of the cases on the epa.gov website Clean Air Act Vehicle and Engine Enforcement Case Resolutions | US EPA

Just so this doesn't sound like I'm anti-software tuning, quite the opposite. My first experience was back in 1986 when I modified a Porsche 911 engine and a local industry innovator in Porsche software tuning ran my car on their dyno several times to develop "chips" for sale to other 911 owners. I still have a half dozen different chips depending on what size headers I was running or what cams I installed. This was way before any of the current famous names were in the business. And I currently have custom dyno-tuned software in my current 911 race car. Back in the 80's it was a cottage industry and the number was so small that the EPA had no clue. My current car is a race car so not subject to EPA... yet, but they're making noises about making it illegal to take late model vehicles, stripping all emissions off and turning these cars into race cars.

Hopefully folks like GDE can secure the funding to undergo certification, there's a need for their services within the scope of the law. All of you have had nothing but praise for the results to the point I almost bought their software for my '14 Summit ecodiesel.

·
Vendor
152 Posts
Maybe FCA (Jeep) should buy out GDE and create something equivalent to Volvo's Polestar in-house tunes.
LOL In our opinion we are about as close to OEM as you'll find within the aftermarket. GDE was born in 2009 when OEM work we've done in a past life ended.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
For those with the GDE tunes, if past history with diesel tuners holds true the EPA probably now has the records of everyone who purchased their software.
Yes, it's my understanding the EPA has all this information. But since you mention past history, what is the EPA's history of using this end-user information?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually joined the forum to ask that same question. I'm about to buy a 2015 EcoDiesel and have GDE's webpage open to order...and can't.

Is there a GDE competitor from whom I can buy a tune? Anyone want to sell me theirs and go back to OEM? Do they sell in Canada and I could have it shipped to a friend there?

Being able to tune the EcoDiesel is a huge part of wanting that model.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Check out HD Diesel or MRtuning. Both good options out of Canada.

There are some used GDE tuned ECM's over on www.ram1500diesel.com but make sure you stick with a '14-'15 ECM. Anything newer and you'll get a trouble code for a DEF quality sensor that didn't exist prior to 2016.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Bounty Hunter! I'll look at those two.

Would it matter if I want to remove the DEF system entirely? I thought I'd ask GDE if they could tune for that,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Will the Ram ECU be tuned for use in a truck? (Should I be planning to send this back to GDE no matter what for it to work better in a JGC?)

Thanks for all the help!

·
Vendor
152 Posts
Due to different hardware in the vehicles, a Ram ECU will not properly work in a JGC and vice versa. We can only provide support if the vehicle is registered in another country.

·
Vendor
152 Posts
We can certainly provide troubleshooting as we always have. However due to changes in the aftermarket tuning landscape we cannot provide tune updates to restore the old/prior tunes. Once we have certified 50-state products then those will be available on the website.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Due to different hardware in the vehicles, a Ram ECU will not properly work in a JGC and vice versa. We can only provide support if the vehicle is registered in another country.
What do you want to see with respect to registration? It'd be registered in Ontario.

·
Vendor
152 Posts
Hold on--I'm scrounging online for an existing GDE JGC ECU--can you just sell me a new one with that registration?
LOL We verify the vehicle is not in the US or no sale. EPA told us it is a $40,000 for each occurrence and they are watching us closely.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts