Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anybody had this similar noise problem....
I back my 17 trialhawk w/hemi into my driveway, when i roll up to curb and put it under a light load to get over the curb and up the driveway, something rattles or growls until i'm clear of the curb and then stops. Took it to dealership service and had the service tech who was taking my info hop in and i showed him what it sounded like. He agreed that he heard it, and i told him it's been doing that without fail for a couple months sometimes louder, sometimes less. Long story short, they had the trailhawk for 5 days and they finally called and gave me the old tried and true "noise couldn't be duplicated".....i don't believe it's anything mechanical and he told me the suspension was checked and everything was the way it should be. I think something is loose somewhere (bracket, body, possibly skid plates) was wondering if anybody had similar noise and a fix or at least a direction to look.....Thanks fellas

P.S. it doesn't do it under flat reversing or when it doesn't require additional horsepower

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,548 Posts
Was wondering if anybody had this similar noise problem....
I back my 17 trialhawk w/hemi into my driveway, when i roll up to curb and put it under a light load to get over the curb and up the driveway, something rattles or growls until i'm clear of the curb and then stops. Took it to dealership service and had the service tech who was taking my info hop in and i showed him what it sounded like. He agreed that he heard it, and i told him it's been doing that without fail for a couple months sometimes louder, sometimes less. Long story short, they had the trailhawk for 5 days and they finally called and gave me the old tried and true "noise couldn't be duplicated".....i don't believe it's anything mechanical and he told me the suspension was checked and everything was the way it should be. I think something is loose somewhere (bracket, body, possibly skid plates) was wondering if anybody had similar noise and a fix or at least a direction to look.....Thanks fellas

P.S. it doesn't do it under flat reversing or when it doesn't require additional horsepower
What happens if you hold the brakes on and try to back up on flat ground. Will it make that noise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes jimntempe, i did that one time with the service tech when he first hopped in but it wasn't as bad as the curb demonstration. Got the trailhawk back yesterday from dealership. Got home and backed in 7-8 times the way i normally do and never noticed the noise and was listening intently. Possibly a loose wheel since the only service i had them complete was tire rotation and synthetic oil change. Unless the service tech noticed something minor in the wheel well area that may have been loose and tightened/hand beat it back into place.......your guess is as good as mine, may sound like you have something in mind Jim with the brake idea?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,548 Posts
yes jimntempe, i did that one time with the service tech when he first hopped in but it wasn't as bad as the curb demonstration. Got the trailhawk back yesterday from dealership. Got home and backed in 7-8 times the way i normally do and never noticed the noise and was listening intently. Possibly a loose wheel since the only service i had them complete was tire rotation and synthetic oil change. Unless the service tech noticed something minor in the wheel well area that may have been loose and tightened/hand beat it back into place.......your guess is as good as mine, may sound like you have something in mind Jim with the brake idea?
Nothing in particular in mind. Just looking at eliminating one of the variables, Power or going up a curb. If it makes the noise with the brakes on then it's not just a "going up the curb" that's causing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts