Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I don’t post much at all on here. But I have been reading a lot of the threads. There really does seem to be a lot of great information on here.
Anyways, would love to get some input about the handling capabilities for WK2’s - specifically the Trailhawk with the Quadra Drive/Air Suspension systems. I have a 2015 Altitude that I can push a little on the exit ramps. Not like an SRT. But like a regular car. I’m contemplating a Trailhawk given the fact that I live in Upstate New York and I’d also would like to get a little off road sometime.

Your thoughts

·
Super Moderator
9,275 Posts
The whole drivetrain for the Trailhawk and similarly equipped other trim levels is going to provide better performance for both off road as well as during winter weather with appropriate tires. Selecterain plus low-range greatly increases your options and the rear ELSD that comes with QD gives that little bit of extra help over JGCs that primarily rely on the braking system to help control traction.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole drivetrain for the Trailhawk and similarly equipped other trim levels is going to provide better performance for both off road as well as during winter weather with appropriate tires. Selecterain plus low-range greatly increases your options and the rear ELSD that comes with QD gives that little bit of extra help over JGCs that primarily rely on the braking system to help control traction.
Ok. Great! So I COULD be a little spirited with my driving without worry?!?!

·
Super Moderator
9,275 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,174 Posts
Hello all. I don’t post much at all on here. But I have been reading a lot of the threads. There really does seem to be a lot of great information on here.
Anyways, would love to get some input about the handling capabilities for WK2’s - specifically the Trailhawk with the Quadra Drive/Air Suspension systems. I have a 2015 Altitude that I can push a little on the exit ramps. Not like an SRT. But like a regular car. I’m contemplating a Trailhawk given the fact that I live in Upstate New York and I’d also would like to get a little off road sometime.

Your thoughts
IME my 2014 Summit handles as good at the average car on things like fairly curved freeway ramps and can easily take those signed for 45 mph at 65+. Where it falls down is for really sharp turns like trying to go fast thru a left turn at a stop light, there it's top heaviness and off-road bias make it seem like it's uncomfortable being pushed. It is a vehicle that must suffer from compromises in trying to do everything well, on road, off road, low speed over rocks and high speed on the highway. I was thinking about people's complaints about it just today as I zoomed thru a particular interstate freeway to freeway ramp. The ramp has some large swells because it's really a bridge and the bridge decks are sort of bowed up in the middle and down at the piers so you go UP then DOWN a couple times while rounding the sweeping turn. It's signed for 50 but I usually go thru at 70. As the JGC bounded over those swells I thought "Some might call this floaty". My Mustang suspension has a much different feel thru the same curve. Yet the JGC never did anything "odd", it's tires never left the ground or squealed and it didn't deviate from it's line. Reminded me of how the French used to design cars for "handling" compared to others.. Others had hard suspensions with little movement, the French made the suspension much softer with a lot of CONTROLLED movement. So I like to think of the JGC as inspired by the French.....

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,849 Posts
easy way to find out, test drive one in the spirited way and you'll know. Standard suspension has better feedback than riding on air suspension.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I’m just a little skeptical about the air suspension. But I really want a JGC with QTII. My wife‘s Cherokee Limited has it and I just can’t get the thing to spin out. And I REALLY tried!... I did just put new Continental LX25’s on her. Which definitely helps it grip more. But there is such a noticeable difference between the QT1 & QTII. I really like the Overland. So I’ll look into that one.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Hmm. Define "a little spirited."

I really enjoy driving my QDII-equipped GC, but I don't drive it the way I drove my 911. (My wife might not agree with that though.)

Be aware that some say the 3.6L handles noticeably better than the Hemi, because of the additional weight up front on the latter.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here in Upstate NY the roads aren’t as busy as NYC or Long Island. I don’t get to aggressive and weave in & out of lanes but I’ll get up to 90mph without a problem. When I go down to the City or L.I. I would get a little bit aggressive. For the weight that the JGC is, it’s quite nimble and powerful at the same time. I just really enjoy driving my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
535 Posts
OR, the factory SRT rear bar. That's what I installed on my '15 GC, with the ORA II package, as the Hellwig bar wasn't available when I wanted to do the upgrade...

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
660 Posts
You would think that since the air suspension lowers from normal ride height when in sport mode, that would actually marginally improve handling over the normal suspension.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,849 Posts
The bags would flex more with less air in them.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Thanks guys. I’m just a little skeptical about the air suspension. But I really want a JGC with QTII. My wife‘s Cherokee Limited has it and I just can’t get the thing to spin out. And I REALLY tried!... I did just put new Continental LX25’s on her. Which definitely helps it grip more. But there is such a noticeable difference between the QT1 & QTII. I really like the Overland. So I’ll look into that one.
What engine in your wife's Cherokee? What tires?
The Wife's Cherokee engine might not have enough hp/torque to spin out at least easily.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What engine in your wife's Cherokee? What tires?
The Wife's Cherokee engine might not have enough hp/torque to spin out at least easily.
I believe it’s the 3.0L. I just put the Continental LX25 tires on her earlier this month. These tires are phenomenal!!! This Cherokee is surprisingly powerful. I’m really wanting the Overland. But just with the QTII. Not the QD. I’m looking for a 2019 in Slate Blue. The 3.6L has plenty of power for my needs.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone noticed that you really don’t read much of post/threads with problems with the 3.6L Pentastar engine? It really is a great engine.

·
Premium Member
Muh Chrome
41 Posts
Has anyone noticed that you really don’t read much of post/threads with problems with the 3.6L Pentastar engine? It really is a great engine.
Good point! The 3.6 has been perfect and reliable. At least 90 percent of my driving is in an urban area with speed limits usually 50 mph or less, so the V8 would be a waste apart from the good feels of the V8 punch.

And I say this as a former owner of a Dodge Charger R/T with a Hemi, which rarely got used to it's potential.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in Upstate (Captial Region) NY. Not much traffic - relatively speaking. Compared to where I just moved from (Long Island & NYC). Up here I could really play and push the Jeeps as much as the cops would allow me to. LOL! Truth be told, I wish I could afford the SRT WK2.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have Trailhawk and you could call my driving somewhat spirited (or crazy if you ask my wife).
Does my Trailhawk handle like my old GTO or CTS-V Coupe? No.
But, in sports mode or when driving fast it lowers the air suspension that gives you lower center of gravity and little better aero. So it handles a bit better than regular WK2 (but probably not better than SRT or Trackhawk - they are lowered too and have better swaybars and stuff and of course more engine).
But I do love my Trailhawk with Hemi, and it is just fine for little spirited driving. It is also awesome offroad which you cannot really do with SRT or Trackhawk.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have Trailhawk and you could call my driving somewhat spirited (or crazy if you ask my wife).
Does my Trailhawk handle like my old GTO or CTS-V Coupe? No.
But, in sports mode or when driving fast it lowers the air suspension that gives you lower center of gravity and little better aero. So it handles a bit better than regular WK2 (but probably not better than SRT or Trackhawk - they are lowered too and have better swaybars and stuff and of course more engine).
But I do love my Trailhawk with Hemi, and it is just fine for little spirited driving. It is also awesome offroad which you cannot really do with SRT or Trackhawk.
Now you’ve got my wheels turning!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts